SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Electrification

1066614 Views 4963 Replies 255 Participants Last post by  Freel07
So the much needed electrification of routes out of Manchester will after all take place, despite the Spending Review, though there is some anger that the time for the work has been extended so that it won't be finished until 2016 at the earliest.

More details here:

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/transport/public_transport/s/1375312_trains_to_get_more_carriages_in_rail_boost
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2010/11/25/liverpool-manchester-railway-electrification-to-finish-by-2016-three-years-late-100252-27715777/
http://www.madeinpreston.co.uk/wp/2009/12/14/manchester-preston-blackpool-electrification/

There's also a generic SSC Rail Electrification thread here:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1016189&highlight=electrification

But with both Crossrail and Thameslink now fully committed to, what do forummers think about the balance of where rail investment money is going?

Should the North West be counting its blessings to get any money at all?
:cheers:

Or is infrastructure investment still too heavily skewed to the South East?
:bash:

And what's happening with that proposed "Northern Hub" at Piccadilly?
:nuts:
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
I hope I'm not stepping on Link's toes here, but I read it as suggesting that converting the Hadfield route to a light metro/LRT configuration (with for argument's sake similar peak capacity) would lead to a growth in off peak ridership through increased frequency, better penetration into the CBD, etc.

Best regards,
Slip
I suppose by implication you’re saying that they are not a massive waste during peak times ?? That being the case - where would you propose deploying off peak ? - given that everywhere else is likely to have similar demand periods.
<pedant>MCV-EUS</pedant> :D

Best,
Slip
Welcome Viscount702...I am sure someone on here will be able to answer your questions for you.

What this electrification of the VIC route will allow ia another path to LON from VIC
Given the "interesting" approach taken by DfT Rail on these matters, could be half a Eurostar come 2016 :). But yes, the cascaded 319's are the safest bet at the moment.

Best,
Slip
Class 319's running the route between Victoria and Liverpool, which trains will run the Victoria-Bolton-Preston-Blackpool service? 319's or something different..?
Cheap bit of sensible work undertaken when the big yellow electrification train was out in 73-74 (?). The intention was always to wire the Chat Moss line between Manchester and Liverpool, and so it made sense to electrify the junction work for the divergence north/south off the WCML to allow future through service. The local rail layout also allowed for a joint feed/substation to be built adjacent to both lines, further easing any future electrification works.

Best,
Slip
I was recently looking at something on Google Earth and noticed that a short section of the Chat Moss route is already electrified. This is the short Section between Newton Le Willows and Earlestown. It seems to form part of a short detour off the WCML.

It seems an odd piece of electrification. Does anyone know why it was electrified. I am presuming that it was done to allow elecrtric stock to call at one or both stations say on a route from Crewe to say Preston but I don't think any electric traction uses it now.
Wigan NW - Bryn, and Stockport - Hazel Grove :)

Best,
Slip
I posted this one on the City Tall thread, but I've just edited it cause some bits were wrong (in true Voldy style)

So here it is! Not including the East Didsbury, Ashton, Airport, MediaCity or Second City Crossing Met lines, which will all of course be electrified, the 2020 map of Greater Manchester Railway Electrification!
Electrified since 1954, originally at 1500v DC as part of the Woodhead scheme. Converted to 25kV AC in 1984.

Best,
Slip
Is it? never been that way.

Edit: you made me check, it is but it doesnt appear as such on many NR electrification maps.
Objection! Manchester South Junction and Altrincham, overhead electrification since 1931.

(although it isn't technically NR anymore, nor on the map)

:)

Best,
Slip
(OHL) Electrified at one voltage or another longer than any other segment on the map, seeing its the withered arm of the Woodhead Electric Railway (1953'ish onwards)
Awesome pics, can't believe how fast things are progressing. Great news!

Best,
Slip
Some shots of the Moss for you. Some parts are done, whilst others are untouched!
Still, considerably better than a (very) life expired Pacer, non?

Best,
Slip
1 - 9 of 9 Posts