SkyscraperCity Forum banner
21 - 40 of 4958 Posts

· Registered
23,126 Posts
With GWML electrification back on as far as Cardiff (but not Swansea) and a study into electrifying the Welsh Valleys lines perhaps we are entering a golden age of electrification. Though MML will only be assesed again in 5 years time.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)

· In Pursuit Of The Future
176 Posts
The electrification will go from Manchester to the West Coast Main Line by 2013 and then on to Liverpool with the full project as far as Blackpool being completed by 2016. Electrostars will then run the trans-pennine route to Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Suburban services will be provided by ex-Thameslink stock (319's) displaced from London after the new Thameslink project is being introduced.

· Banned
3,787 Posts
^^ Mmmm Hmmm. I do.

It shows how much government loves the North :lovethem:

· Nasty piece of work
2,127 Posts
It's been discussed quite a few times. Aren't they going to be refurbished to within an inch of their lives though? As good as new?

· Registered
2,520 Posts
Yep, that is what I heard.

As far as any passenger would ever know they would be new.

After the emotional reaction, it does make sense to stick the faster, higher capacity trains in the SE as they do genuinely have significantly higher demand than we do up here.

· Registered
2,051 Posts
Better than nothing. It does depend who does the refurbishment though. If Northern Rail do it themselves (as they have done with the Class 150s - diesel equivalent of the Class 319s), it'll be nothing more than a lick of paint, internal stickers, and some seat moquette replaced.

Given that procurement of Thameslink Programme rolling stock is behind schedule (and always has been!), I wouldn't be surprised if they were pressed into service without refurbishment.

· Registered
2,520 Posts
Are these the things that do the Brighton to London Bridge run?

If so, I use them occassionally and there is nothing that wrong with them. No reason why they couldn't go straight into service up here. They are vastly better than what we have today.

· Registered
2,051 Posts
Are these the things that do the Brighton to London Bridge run?

If so, I use them occassionally and there is nothing that wrong with them. No reason why they couldn't go straight into service up here. They are vastly better than what we have today.
Depends on which you mean. FCC and Southern operate Class 319s, which are like 4-car electric Class 150s, built for Thameslink in the mid/late 1980s. Most have had one or two refurbishments already, the FCC ones quite recently (since 2006, at Hornsey). They are not-DDA compliant, so would need costly refurbishment prior to 2020 (or later, if the law is relaxed).

They also both operate Class 377 Electrostars, which are like 4-car electric Class 170s, introduced recently as part of the start of the Thameslink Programme, but will be replaced by more new-build stock later.

Another big issue is that they are designed for Driver Only Operation, whereas we operate with the Conductor/Guard controlling door operation. So modifications (wiring, etc.) will have to happen, or the unions will kick up a fuss.

· Banned
3,787 Posts

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Just to give people an idea of them. I think they sound quite amazing and so am looking forward to seeing them around :)
(Almost) anything is better than a Northern 150! The FCC 319s are ok, but personally I think the SWT 455s have been very well refurbished, with the thin-backed Siemens seating similar to that on the TPE 185s. They have also opened up the door vestibules to allow much easier access (as well as more room for people to crush...)

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Better than nothing. It does depend who does the refurbishment though. If Northern Rail do it themselves (as they have done with the Class 150s - diesel equivalent of the Class 319s), it'll be nothing more than a lick of paint, internal stickers, and some seat moquette replaced.

Given that procurement of Thameslink Programme rolling stock is behind schedule (and always has been!), I wouldn't be surprised if they were pressed into service without refurbishment.
It won't be Northern doing it. What you have described to the 150s etc is not a refurbishment anyway, it is a refresh (despite what Northern try to tell people).

And of course they will be pressed straight into service - 30 or so units can't be refurbished all at once before they are put into service up here.

21 - 40 of 4958 Posts