SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Electrification

1066816 Views 4963 Replies 255 Participants Last post by  Freel07
So the much needed electrification of routes out of Manchester will after all take place, despite the Spending Review, though there is some anger that the time for the work has been extended so that it won't be finished until 2016 at the earliest.

More details here:

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/transport/public_transport/s/1375312_trains_to_get_more_carriages_in_rail_boost
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2010/11/25/liverpool-manchester-railway-electrification-to-finish-by-2016-three-years-late-100252-27715777/
http://www.madeinpreston.co.uk/wp/2009/12/14/manchester-preston-blackpool-electrification/

There's also a generic SSC Rail Electrification thread here:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1016189&highlight=electrification

But with both Crossrail and Thameslink now fully committed to, what do forummers think about the balance of where rail investment money is going?

Should the North West be counting its blessings to get any money at all?
:cheers:

Or is infrastructure investment still too heavily skewed to the South East?
:bash:

And what's happening with that proposed "Northern Hub" at Piccadilly?
:nuts:
41 - 60 of 4964 Posts
WORK has begun on a project to electrify the railway line between Manchester and Liverpool.A detailed survey of the route has been undertaken to see what needs to be done to accommodate the 25,000 volt overhead cables that will provide electricity to drive the trains, and demolition woerk will start on a number of overhead bridges in Salford.Two road bridges and one footbridge above the railway lines between Eccles and Patricroft are to be demolished and rebuilt at Albert Street, Old Wellington Road and Chadwick’s footb......for the full story register now for free or login below...

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com
So with the electrifications going on on the Liverpool - Manchester and the Blackpool & Preston - Manchester lines, as well as the "electrification" of the Oldham Loop Line for Metrolink, this is how the Manchester Railways electrification map should look like in a few years (obviously with the added East Didsbury, Manchester Airport, Ashton & Trafford Centre lines on there which will also have been electrified) :

You can add Ordsall too, Piccadilly-Salford Central, I dont know if their doing the bit to Salford Crescent or not though. I also think North Western to Bryn is covered by the Liverpool-Wigan electrification though someone may correct me?
Yes, the Ordsall Curve is definitely worth showing, and will be electrified, as will Deansgate to Salford Crescent (to allow electric trains from Piccadilly to get to the wires though Eccles and Bolton.

WNW to Bryn (thence to Huyton) is included.

Volty, It might make more sense visually if you split the colours, with a different one for 25kVAC!

You've also not included the new southern Metrolink lines, and Media city?
You can add Ordsall too, Piccadilly-Salford Central, I dont know if their doing the bit to Salford Crescent or not though. I also think North Western to Bryn is covered by the Liverpool-Wigan electrification though someone may correct me?
Whoa, well it was a very rushed diagram. I'll make the ammends later but the map was really just to show that, by 2016, we'll have more electrified routes than, say, Liverpool.
You need to take off Glazebrook to Trafford Park (or wherever the lines currently end). Warrington Central isnt on the electrification list.

, by 2016, we'll have more electrified routes than, say, Liverpool.
Not Quite. Merseyside will be fully electrified except for 1.Hunts Cross/Widnes/Warrington Central/Trafford Park 2. Bidston-Wrexham and 3. Freight line Edge Hill to L'Pool Docks, resulting in only one none electric local service (Widnes) and some none electric longer distance services (eg Transpennine/East Midlands)

Hopefully wont be too long post 2016 that the north west missing gaps are filled in.
Alright I'm sorry I made a complete pig's brain of it :lol:

But yeah hopefully the missing gaps, as you say, will be filled in. It makes me cringe to think that all of London's gaps were filled in decades ago and we were left with diesel trains :eek:hno:
It's OK, we weren't criticising, just providing input to revision 2! :)

Keep up the good work, Great things are afoot in Manchester, and I think there will be a time soon where we (SSC) will struggle to keep up the amount of work going on.
Alright I'm sorry I made a complete pig's brain of it :lol:

But yeah hopefully the missing gaps, as you say, will be filled in. It makes me cringe to think that all of London's gaps were filled in decades ago and we were left with diesel trains :eek:hno:
I'm thankful anyway because I've learnt something new! No one can argue that :cheers:

Ah yes indeed! This year alone is marvellously exciting. With the moving-in and opening of MediaCity, the Trafford Promenade and Bridge etc. We're looking forward to seeing New Wakefield Street rise out above the skyline, as well as the NOMA district which will be adding a few cranes to the skyline in a few years time, and then of course the Metrolink openings! Can't wait :banana:
(whstles nonchalantly)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=75802667#post75802667
adding a few cranes to the skyline in a few years time, and then of course the Metrolink openings! Can't wait :banana:
Oh yeah, that too ;)

Although I realise the stretch from Victoria to Piccadilly won't be ran by Metrolink, what's stopping them putting it on the Metrolink map? They'll be Metro frequency anyway and easy transfer at three stations between Metrolink, very much integrated. You could change the signage at these stations to match Metrolink's colours etc but just not have Metrolink trams running on the line. Metrorail, maybe?
Nothing. The majority of services going round the city will be TPE's, with the rest being Northern's. Is suspect that since they manage the stations they'd be quite attached to their brand identity, but I agree there is more joining up to do in terms of interchange signage but also in terms of publicity.
Oh yeah, that too ;)

Although I realise the stretch from Victoria to Piccadilly won't be ran by Metrolink, what's stopping them putting it on the Metrolink map? They'll be Metro frequency anyway and easy transfer at three stations between Metrolink, very much integrated. You could change the signage at these stations to match Metrolink's colours etc but just not have Metrolink trams running on the line. Metrorail, maybe?
Albert Bridge over the M602 & Man-Liv line is currently closed with work well underway by Network Rail :)
I'm privileged enough to be able to live near to all the excitement with this project (in Eccles) (although it by far isn't the most exciting transport-related project in Manchester at the moment) so I'll be sure to go down there every once in a while and maybe take a few pictures around the site and give you all an update :)

Over the last few weeks they've just started putting Network Rail signs around the bridges over the railway saying things like "We're improving your railway" etc etc, so nothing too exciting at the moment ...
At last an end in site to those awful 1970's pacer trains which are the worst on the whole UK network,built on the Leyland national bus chassis :eek:hno: cant believe they are still the main type of carriages on some of the branch lines especially to the west of Manchester

Also known as cattletrucks, trolleybuses, nodding donkeys, fucking pile of shite they are.
Have to agree with you there although I can't help feeling sorry for them. They always get us from a to b and they've done nothing wrong (apart from being god awful and ageing from the moment they started service). But yeah, this is going to be just another electrified route on the Manchester network. All that's left now is a few lines in the East of the city, the Wigan to Manchester via Atherton service and the all important Manchester to Leeds via Rochdale.
Theres quite a few engineering closures planned for the summer months along the Chatmoss line so hopefully this is related to the forth coming wiring works.

Rumours I've recently heard include the Electric depot being located in Allerton Liverpool in a currently abandoned depot. It may be used in some form or more than likely flattened and a whole new depot built.

Closer to home at Victoria, the new lighting scheme has been designed with electrification in mind and is now positioned further away and lower than the future location of the wires.

With regards to TPE and Northern. By the time the works are complete neither may exist, or more than likely the North will be covered by a monstrous franchise that includes TPE and Northern, making timetabling and rerouting a hell of a lot easier. TPE and Northern Control are already in the same building at Square one.

By the way the oscar9, the 142s were only introduced in 1986 and were designed to run for about 5 or 6 years as a stop gap between better engineered trains. Everyone of those 142's has passed the 1 million mark! They may be a poor ride but they are very easy to fix and without them Manchester's railways would be a hell of a lot more crowded!

Theres no way a car or any other vehicle could do 300 odd miles a day, everyday having the crap nailed out of it bombing along the WCML etc 364 days of the year, with out starting to get a little mechanically and internally tired. Anyway just sticking up for the 142s. Bring on our new electric age.
Network Rail have recently purchased Allerton from DBS. Not sure if existing buildings will be used but will be home for 319s when they arrive.
Theres quite a few engineering closures planned for the summer months along the Chatmoss line so hopefully this is related to the forth coming wiring works.

Rumours I've recently heard include the Electric depot being located in Allerton Liverpool in a currently abandoned depot. It may be used in some form or more than likely flattened and a whole new depot built.

Closer to home at Victoria, the new lighting scheme has been designed with electrification in mind and is now positioned further away and lower than the future location of the wires.

With regards to TPE and Northern. By the time the works are complete neither may exist, or more than likely the North will be covered by a monstrous franchise that includes TPE and Northern, making timetabling and rerouting a hell of a lot easier. TPE and Northern Control are already in the same building at Square one.

By the way the oscar9, the 142s were only introduced in 1986 and were designed to run for about 5 or 6 years as a stop gap between better engineered trains. Everyone of those 142's has passed the 1 million mark! They may be a poor ride but they are very easy to fix and without them Manchester's railways would be a hell of a lot more crowded!

Theres no way a car or any other vehicle could do 300 odd miles a day, everyday having the crap nailed out of it bombing along the WCML etc 364 days of the year, with out starting to get a little mechanically and internally tired. Anyway just sticking up for the 142s. Bring on our new electric age.
So Cheshire Lines commuters into Liverpool have to travel past the Chat Moss depot with all the nice electric trains whilst still stuck on Pacers. Typical :)
Network Rail have recently purchased Allerton from DBS. Not sure if existing buildings will be used but will be home for 319s when they arrive.
Here is the equivalent map for the Merseyrail system. The dates of 2016 for Edge Hill - Manchester and Huyton - Wigan are for the overall scheme:

So with the electrifications going on on the Liverpool - Manchester and the Blackpool & Preston - Manchester lines, as well as the "electrification" of the Oldham Loop Line for Metrolink, this is how the Manchester Railways electrification map should look like in a few years (obviously with the added East Didsbury, Manchester Airport, Ashton & Trafford Centre lines on there which will also have been electrified) :

41 - 60 of 4964 Posts