Votes: 0 0.0%

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
35,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
few people outside of scotland have heard of this but i think it's one of the most stunning ruins in the whole of britain, and if only there had been a mad irish author to set a horror novel partly at it as with whitby abbey.

elgin cathedral, until it fell to bits, used to be triple spired and with double aisles. i suppose the cathedral that is around today it is most like is lichfield...

there has been some very gradual rebuilding of it. the chapter house has been rebuilt, the two west towers have been kind of rebuilt, although the stonework at the tops has yet to be finished. one of them now has an observation level at the top. one of the bays has also been reroofed.

·
35,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i see you were luckier with the weather.

climbed cairngorm the next day... bloody knackering, mostly because of the weather. near vertical snow above about 700m and heavy winds.

·
Ampersands & What
7,292 Posts
That was three weeks ago now. Incredibly lucky with the weather. Unfortunately I arrived just after the observation level had closed.

The mountains were looking beautiful with that blue sky. Certainly wouldn't want to go trekking across the Cairngorms on a windy day. I've hiked across the Brecon Beacons on a day with gale force winds in October. The group behind mine had to be rescued by helicopter of the top of a ridge! Not something I'd like to do again, and those are only half as high as the Cairngorms.

·
35,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have been rescued from a helicopter before. that happened at school actually, we were even on the news at ten. it was foggy and in the days before GPS we didn't know how to get down.

can't say it's a problem though, just get yourself a lightweight but GOOD backpacking tent that weighs a couple of kilos. any problems pitch it :)

did you get any pics of the flood improvement work they are doing next to the cathedral? has the new bridge opened yet?

·
Ampersands & What
7,292 Posts
I had a look through, seems this is the closest I got to the new bridge. It didn't even register with me at the time. I don't think it's open, as you can see there's a digger still on site.

Elgin Cathedral Church Yard by corerising, on Flickr

I parked over by the cathedral and then walked into the town centre. The Greek revival church actually impressed me more than the old cathedral did.

Elgin St Giles Church by corerising, on Flickr

I think if I were to go to the Cairngorms camping it would be to do some astro-photography. I don't have the equipment for that yet, but it's a long term goal.

I've been going up to Turriff in Aberdeenshire since I was born. This last trip I was showing around my wife who had never been up there before. Her first time in Scotland in fact. We stayed up in the North East corner, around Fraserburgh, Huntly, Dufftown, Macduff, Cullen and Bucky. The trip to the Glenfiddich distillery wen't down particularly well. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts