SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Part 2

The Queen Victoria Market was officially opened on 20 March 1878, despite markets operating from the site in varying forms prior to that date.
The Lower Market (bounded by Elizabeth, Victoria, Queen and Therry Streets) is the oldest part of the Market. It was originally set aside in 1857 for a Fruit and Vegetable Market due to over-crowding and congestion at the Eastern Market but the location was unpopular and the market gardeners wouldn’t use it. Instead it was used as a Livestock and Hay Market until it was permanently reserved as a Market in 1867.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I love Elizabeth St. One of the most historically rich streetscapes in Australia
South of Bourke, yes.

North is completely different -- aside from the GPO it's pretty uninspiring .(despite the laneways to the west around Londsdale which are awesome).

Also like Swanston Street, the block between Flinders Street and Flinders Lane is full of crazy people.

I would actually avoid walking down Elizabeth Street between Flinders and Collins because of the weirdo's. With the strip clubs, sex shops and 24 hour sports bars its literally like a slice of 1980's Kings Cross in the heart of Melbourne's CBD- and the clientele to match. Such the buildings are pretty from afar, but at a closer inspection it's not the most flattering part of Melbourne.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
lol @ your last comment. get out of Werribee alpha ;)
It's merely for sleeping and studying.;) However the latter has resulted in me being here more than I'd like to be. Come September, hello Northcote!

Suburban upbringing or not, lower Elizabeth Street is pretty shit.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The now demolished Lang’s Buildings, south-east corner of Elizabeth and Lonsdale Streets in May 1961.

Freight car tram no.17 with advertising on Elizabeth Street near Victoria Street, November 1962.

This shot from November 1963 shows the now demolished Elizabeth Motors Building on the left, where Melbourne Central is now.

·
Registered Abuser
2,903 Posts
R.I.P Australia Building.

Very noice Pete.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Queen Victoria Market
Bounded by Elizabeth, Victoria, Peel, Franklin, Queen and Therry Streets

Queen Victoria Market is Victoria's premier open-air market.
The Queen Victoria Market was officially opened on 20 March 1878, despite markets operating from the site in varying forms prior to that date.
The Lower Market (bounded by Elizabeth, Victoria, Queen and Therry Streets) is the oldest part of the Market. It was originally set aside in 1857 for a Fruit and Vegetable Market due to over-crowding and congestion at the Eastern Market but the location was unpopular and the market gardeners wouldn’t use it. Instead it was used as a Livestock and Hay Market until it was permanently reserved as a Market in 1867.

Visitors come not only to shop, but also to be entertained by buskers who perform on the surround. The vibrant, cosmopolitan atmosphere of this historic site has endeared the Market to Melburnians for more than 125 years.

The Queen Victoria Market has changed over the years.
The sections M, N, O and the row of shops after that in the foreground of the above photograph have been demolished to make way for a car park.
Below, a Saturday morning scene on the Peel Street side of the market that you will not see anymore.

Two earlier shots.

Photographs I’ve taken over the last couple of years.

Above, in 1884, William Salway designed a striking new front for the Meat Market, featuring relief sculpture of some of the livestock featured as meat inside.

The next five are of the Night Market held every Wednesday night over Summer between 5:30pm and 10:pm.

The market website:

http://www.qvm.com.au/market.php

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
R.I.P Australia Building.

Very noice Pete.
& RIP the CML building and the city of melbourne bank building!! & RIP plans for the clock on the argus building!!
Then, corner of Elizabeth and Lonsdale Streets in 1984.

Now, corner of Elizabeth and Lonsdale Streets in 2006.

don't often say this about your threads but the more recent photo is a definate improvement

shithot photos Mr Collector!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts