SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 781 Posts

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a thread about the news and development of south africa's other world cup stadiums. You can post pictures of the stadiums and the upgrade that will be done to the stadium.

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
In today's Sunday Times' Metro, they got a 3 page article abt Nasrec and Ellis Park precincts apparently the new train station near Ellis Park is under construction. The reason why Im not posting more info is because Im using a cellphone and its just a cumbersome task to type.

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Ellis Park area gets makeover

27 May 2007
Isaac Mahlangu

Park lane: An artist’s impression of what the Ellis Park precinct where Joe Slovo Drive meets Sivewright Avenue will look like

Huge potential: Joburg hopes to make over Beit Street.

’It would be nice if it becomes upmarket, that’s what we’re trying to do’

COMMENT ON THIS: [email protected] or SMS us at: 33971

World Cup forces transformation of neglected suburbs

JOBURG’s downmarket Doornfontein could be as posh as Rosebank before the 2010 Soccer World Cup if city bosses have their way.

As part of preparations for the world’s biggest sporting event, multimillion-rand development projects are under way in Doornfontein where Ellis Park a 2010 venue, is situated.

Although most would not mention the area east of the city centre in the same sentence as swanky Hyde Park or Sandton further north, it is home to other important sports venues, such as the Standard Bank Arena, Joburg Stadium and the Ellis Park Swimming Pool.

But it is also flanked by some inner-city suburbs worst affected by urban decay. Neighbouring Bertrams and Troyeville have been ignored by the council and property investors for years.

But now plans are afoot to regenerate the area and attract heaps of cash.

The council’s R30-million first development phase began in January and will create an access road network to the stadium from the north. It is expected to be completed by November.

Some R5.5-million is being spent improving lighting, paving and street furniture in the neighbourhood and this is expected to be finished by July.

Construction of a new train station in the suburb for World Cup transport is also under way.

Project manager Agmat Badat, a senior development manager at the Joburg Development Agency (JDA), said other residential and retail projects were planned to swank up the areas near the stadium.

This is in line with stringent Fifa requirements detailing exactly what the world soccer body expects in the stadium precinct.

Badat said the new road network would stretch from Hillbrow’s Abel Road to Bertrams’ Sivewright Avenue.

“It would be nice if the area becomes upmarket, that’s what we are trying to do, making the area conducive to investors.”

He said Saratoga Avenue was being widened to accommodate the city’s R2-billion Bus Rapid Transit system, which is expected to be in place by 2009. Giant 160-seat buses would be introduced and run in dedicated lanes on major city roads.

The JDA hoped to revamp Beit Street but this would depend on private funding being found.

Badat said the street had “huge business potential” and could easily bring back life to the area.

“Businesses are reluctant to invest because they want to see what the city is doing first before they put their money into the area,” he said.

The JDA was planning to build a four-storey parking garage, with 1000 bays, next to the stadium in an effort to meet Fifa requirements.

The city’s mayoral committee had recently approved a plan to renovate council-owned houses, he said.

Leslie Chalklen, principal of Rawson Properties, a company involved in marketing the area near the stadium to property investors, said there was a “high potential for affordable housing”.

Chalklen said the quicker the response from investors, the faster the transformation of the area would be .

“The focus is now to identify, purchase and regenerate derelict properties in the surrounding areas,” he said.

The precincts around Ellis Park — and the FNB Stadium in Soweto — are expected to buzz during the 2010 World Cup, and Joburg’s Arts, Culture and Heritage Department is planning cultural programmes to entertain foreign visitors at designated zones and fan parks across the city.

The department’s director, Steven Sack, said performances would include street theatre.

“We are in a planning phase but we want our programme to start in 2009 so that we build up the momentum to the World Cup,” he said.

·
brad
394 Posts
I read that they gonna add two extra tiers behind the goal posts? From articles that date back a few years...

Is this still happening? If yes-any pics to show what it will look like?
I went to the ellis park site a while back but nuda

·
brad
394 Posts
ok so its just two extra roofless tiers.
Its better than nothing-I'll take it

But I would prefer a roof to make a combined roof bowl effect...

·
Proximamente CASAHUS.COM
1,201 Posts
Hello guys, i am from Guadalajara, Mexico.
I am visiting your thread because my wife and I are planning to go to the worldcup 2010.
Is there any renders from the stadium planned for 2010? I heard there was some renovation planned, isnt that right?
Thanks in advance and good luck with the preparations.
:D

·
Proximamente CASAHUS.COM
1,201 Posts

·
23,076 Posts
guys are you sure that they are still adding the new tiers on the roof levels? for nothing is ever said about that. surely at its existing 60 000 the stadium is big enough? I mean if gov needed to find money somewhere they could easily have put a stop to these tiers for they are non-essential items.

1 - 20 of 781 Posts