SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wouldn't it be great to have an embarcadero center in downtown Miami. I'm talking about that shopping mall in San Fran that spans 4 or 5 city blocks but with pedestrian bridges over the streets so as to not disrupt traffic. I have always loved the Embarcadero Center architecturally and Urban planning-wise for it's incredible use of the space in such a highly dense area. I really think it would help give the CBD another great destination and place for cafe's, shops and maybe even a theater.

That's what I was thinking when I was looking at this long contiguous block of wasted space in the CBD (that's Gov't Center Metrorail station in the bottom left). A bridge could easily be made high enough to go over the metro mover in the image below.

And now that the old Miami Arena is gone, maybe that land could be added to project since it is adjacent. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
With Bayside Marketplace, Mary Brickell Village and soon-to-be-built (hopefully) Met Square, I start to wonder how many shopping centres Downtown/Brickell can really capacitate. Sometimes, walking around with retail on the streets like Collins Avenue or Miracle Mile, is better than a shopping centre.

IMO, Mary Brickell Village is good because it brought a huge amount of interest and money into investing in retail in Brickell, but the real benefit are the stores, restaurants, and bars that will open up along Miami Avenue or down 8th St, or wherever. For me, it's more important to have a Downtown filled with street retail, than to have three successful shopping centres, and empty streets.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Wouldn't it be great to have an embarcadero center in downtown Miami?
Yeah, that is a great attraction in SF, and I like they way that you are thinking!

Right now, the focus of the City and DDA is to improve the Flagler Street corridor from the bay to the river. At this time, adding a competing venue north to the location you pictured cannibalizes an already successful Bayside on an illogical path.

Personally, I like the idea (while we are on San Fran references) of making a Fisherman's' Wharfy area on the river at Flagler. It is already connected to the Miami River Greenway, and is located 4 blocks from a Metromover and Metrorail. As it evolves and traffic alternatives are implemented, Flagler can be closed to vehicular traffic and voila....you have your Embarcadero.

***In your Google image, the second most southerly lot now has a MPA parking structure on it, and one of the other MPA lots is for sale.

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
It is about time my hometown honors me by naming something after me....

THE Embarcadero
Yeah, for a minute there I thought you were announcing a trip back home. :lol:

The "other" Embarcadero Center is pretty cool, agreed, but Union Square in San Francisco is my favorite shopping/public square area. It's got to be one of the most vibrant and attractive commercial/shopping districts in the country. The whole city is pretty remarkable, actually, but SO damn expensive!

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Yeah, that is a great attraction in SF, and I like they way that you are thinking!

Right now, the focus of the City and DDA is to improve the Flagler Street corridor from the bay to the river. At this time, adding a competing venue north to the location you pictured cannibalizes an already successful Bayside on an illogical path.

Personally, I like the idea (while we are on San Fran references) of making a Fisherman's' Wharfy area on the river at Flagler. It is already connected to the Miami River Greenway, and is located 4 blocks from a Metromover and Metrorail. As it evolves and traffic alternatives are implemented, Flagler can be closed to vehicular traffic and voila....you have your Embarcadero.

***In your Google image, the second most southerly lot now has a MPA parking structure on it, and one of the other MPA lots is for sale.
For once, I'm going to have to agree with Roark on this. A Wharf area near Lummus Park off Flagler Street would be amazing. It's already has that industrial, river feel to it, why not?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Well of course the site is debatable. My point was that we need another attraction kinda like that. But in hearing responses I think most people thought I meant a mall like a traditional mall (Aventura). I was thinking more of an oudoor "lifestyle center" (Sunset Place) mall. Something with large plaza's that lets people shop but showcases our great weather at the same time. Yet it still allows interaction with the street so the surrounding area's could develop as well.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
I was thinking more of an oudoor "lifestyle center" (Sunset Place) mall. Something with large plaza's that lets people shop but showcases our great weather at the same time. Yet it still allows interaction with the street so the surrounding area's could develop as well.
Outdoor lifestyle center sounds a lot like Bayside; people shop, enjoy the weather and the Biscayne Bay. The plan is in place now to connect Bayside Marketplace with a retail corridor on Flagler.
It will be great to see that corridor be closed to vehicular traffic and extend along Flagler Street to the River.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
I haven't heard of it, but I'm interested. Any webpage's on this plan? I would enjoy seeing proposals.
Not sure, but you can attend some Downtown Development Authority meetings, or if you are a member of the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, join the New World Center committee. There is usually an update on the progress of the Flagler retail corridor at every meeting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts