SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most people on this forum are highly skeptical of Marcus and if this project will ever get built. However I thought we should have a dedicated subforum since we have one for the Nexus and also so discussion can potentially occur here and not clog up the main forum.

Marcus unveils its 4th and Wisconsin proposal

Marcus Hotels & Resorts’ proposal for the vacant site at 4th Street and Wisconsin Avenue in downtown Milwaukee includes a 276-room expansion of the existing Hilton Milwaukee City Center hotel and a tower with up to 200 apartments.

The hotel expansion, which would bring the total number of rooms at the Hilton to 1,005, would address the number one request of meeting planners and appeal to event planners who typically bypass Milwaukee for convention business, according to Marcus representatives.

https://www.biztimes.com/2016/12/19/marcus-unveils-its-4th-and-wisconsin-proposal/

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Whether it happens or not the renderings are sure pretty. The thought of a water feature on that corner sure makes me happy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The biggest issue with these projects is that they are contingent on a major expansion of the Wisconsin Center. I do not see that happening anytime soon. The last estimates I saw were that a minimum of $100 million would be needed to expand the convention space. Assuming there is a consensus to move forward with some type of expansion (and that is a very big assumption), I'm not sure where the funding would come from.

·
Just a Source of Opinion
3,215 Posts
Any one else think the massing of this project copies that of the Nexus proposal? Yes the streetcar has to run through the project, but they seem almost identical as far as massing is concerned. Only difference is that the Hilton portion of Marcus' proposal stretches down 5th street.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
The biggest issue with these projects is that they are contingent on a major expansion of the Wisconsin Center. I do not see that happening anytime soon. The last estimates I saw were that a minimum of $100 million would be needed to expand the convention space. Assuming there is a consensus to move forward with some type of expansion (and that is a very big assumption), I'm not sure where the funding would come from.
As I posted in another thread, they feel at the WCD that they can do it with the money they already are pulling in with no increase in taxes.

Fourth and Wisconsin: What are the prospects for funding a Wisconsin Center convention hall expansion?

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
MB, that's subscriber only content. Can you summarize?
Just copying my previous post.

The gist of this is that they may be able to fund the final stage of the convention center with the taxes that are already in place. I'm not really understanding what has changed in the perspective, other than it will be spread out over a considerable time. The money for the current center as is won't be paid off until 2027, but after that, they can put the money towards the final stage. I guess they would get the money through bonding? I don't know.

Whatever, the study for how to proceed with the next stage of the entire WCD complex will be finished in February or March and then they will decide what to do. After all that has been happening lately, I'm really encouraged that it will be getting done sooner than I thought. That ball just keeps on bouncing!

The Wisconsin Center convention hall in downtown Milwaukee may have the funding available — with no new taxes — to pay for a $150 million to $200 million expansion project that both prospective developers of a major convention hotel say they need to proceed with their ambitious plans.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Okay, so here's the distinction between the two proposals. Marcus says they need the WCD to finish the CC up to Kilbourn as has always been envisioned in order for them to proceed with their project, but that they will not need WCD money for themselves. I guess they feel that the center needs to be as large as possible to justify the expanded Hilton? I'm not sure what they mean.

But Nexus wants the WCD to use the expansion money to pay for the space they want to provide in their own project and not be put towards the north side of the center. That's absurd. Surely Nexus can get their own financing for their project and the WCD absolutely needs to do their own thing.

If I felt that Marcus was really serious about this and that they really can do what they are saying, I would have to prefer their proposal over Nexus.

Maybe Bauman is right and they need to start over again. It doesn't sound like anyone else has come forward, though.

Marcus project hinges on Wisconsin Center expansion to 'maximize' west downtown

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
In the first photo there is a very tall glassy high rise pictured across the street probably on 6th and Wisconsin. Wonder what that is suppose to be or why they chose to add it? All other surrounding buildings appear to be accurate.

I am going to assume that is suppose to represent the expanded convention center running along the east side of 6th street. The Wisconsin Tower is already on the west side of sixth street and I am sure that is not going anywhere soon. This rendering is blocking out The Wisconsin Tower.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I do know that a lot of effort is going into finding funding for the expansion of the convention center and I would not be surprised if a funding source will be found in The New Year.

·
Just a Source of Opinion
3,215 Posts
I am going to assume that is suppose to represent the expanded convention center running along the east side of 6th street. The Wisconsin Tower is already on the west side of sixth street and I am sure that is not going anywhere soon. This rendering is blocking out The Wisconsin Tower.
Honest question: When has there ever been talk of the convention center expanding verticly on the western side of the existing building?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Honest question: When has there ever been talk of the convention center expanding verticly on the western side of the existing building?
None that I know of, I am only making an assumption from the way that particular rendering looks. Perhaps it could be an idea of building up on the flat part of the roof that runs along 6th St.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Even though I hope Nexus "wins", I for one (and seem to be the ONLY one on this forum) like the eMbarKE name using the "MKE" code for the airport in the name. Look at my screen name and you'll see why. I've worked in the travel biz since I was 19 and I'm 47 now. Anytime an airport code can be slotted in somewhere, or something else travel related is thrown in, I'm all for it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Just adding my 2 cents. I like this plan better than the Nexus plan. The whole site seems more fluent and planned out better.
just FYI...the marcus proposal copies nexus almost exactly. a 2/3-story base with retail/restaurants/meeting space with bridge connections and public plaza + water feature. and 2 towers: 1 taller than the other in exactly the same positions on the lot as nexus. marcus doesn't have a plan and just threw together a rendering. also don't forget nexus is a reboot of the catalyst, which is by kahler slater. so kudos to EUA for ripping off kahler...
http://www.theghazicompany.com/future_projects/catalyst.html

·
Voice of Reason (usually)
1,936 Posts
just FYI...the marcus proposal copies nexus almost exactly. a 2/3-story base with retail/restaurants/meeting space with bridge connections and public plaza + water feature. and 2 towers: 1 taller than the other in exactly the same positions on the lot as nexus. marcus doesn't have a plan and just threw together a rendering. also don't forget nexus is a reboot of the catalyst, which is by kahler slater. so kudos to EUA for ripping off kahler...
http://www.theghazicompany.com/future_projects/catalyst.html
To be fair, both of these proposals essentially copy the proposal for the Catalyst project that never happened.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts