Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nigeria's Emir of Kano Ado Bayero buried after palace funeral

Al-Haji Ado Bayero, on the throne in the northern city since 1963, died after a long illness at the age of 83.

He was the longest-serving emir in Kano's history and sought to reduce tensions with Nigeria's Christians.

He was also a critic of Boko Haram and survived an assassination attempt last year blamed on the Islamist group.

During the emir's 50-year-reign, Nigeria has experienced a great deal of turmoil with military coups and unrest but he always stayed out of politics.

The Emir of Kano, Al-haji Ado Bayero (r) at the durbar in 2010
Every year at the end of Ramadan, the emir (R) oversaw a three-day royal horse parade
The announcement of his death was made by palace officials on Friday morning - and thousands of people then poured into the city, where they gathered in the grounds of the emir's palace.

Emirs, dignitaries and politician from across the country were also in attendance.

line
What happens next?
  • Four "kingmakers" - members of the emirate's council of traditional leaders - will meet after the burial
  • They will nominate candidates as possible successors to Ado Bayero
  • To be eligible they have to be a male member of the Ibrahim Dabo family - whose clans include the Bayeros and Sanusis
  • The names of the nominees will be submitted to Kano state government, which will make the final decision
  • Some of the likely contenders include:
  • Senior emirate councillor Abbas Sanusi, the late emir's nephew
  • Lamido Ado Bayero, the late emir's eldest son
  • Former central bank governor Sanusi Lamido Sanusi - a great nephew of the late emir who recently fell out with President Goodluck Jonathan
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27740942

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I thought Lamido Sanusi would be going places...AFDB or WORLD BANK or some International body.

being emir is good but his potential will be limited

·
Registered
12,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He values being an emir more than taking western posts.
the emir of Kano has more power than an employee of either bank.

but the guy isn't who you think he is. There's a chance he won't get the post because the emir said if he dies before his 50th anniversary he'll give it to Sanusi and if he dies after that date it goes to his own son. Idk if this particular statement is truth or rumor, but right before his 50th there was an assassination attempt on his life by boko haram, and Sanusi's ties to radical islamist groups is notorious. Before banking he beheaded someone for desecrating the Koran and served time in prison. It's only his ability to speak english well that he uses to hypnotize the clearly stupid international community.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Does anyone know what influence and Power does being Emir constitute in a country like Nigeria?

And what about Money?

......Sent from NSA Monitored Device

·
Banned
11,651 Posts
They get an allowance from the govetnment. I'm not sure the amount but the emir is one of the premier monarchs so I'm sure it's good money . They also command a lot of influence like a pope even if they hold no true power. I can't see why one would want to be an emit over a afdb head but I guess depends on where your heart is.

·
Registered
12,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol what would you do in the afdb? The emir is very powerful especially the emir of Kano and Sokoto. It's like asking why someone would want to be the king of england when he could join the african development bank. Sanusi is first and foremost and islamic scholar. He was only made a banker when the owner of first bank bailed him out of a prison and gave him the job.

the emirs determine elections and control popular opinion

·
Banned
11,651 Posts
lol what would you do in the afdb? The emir is very powerful especially the emir of Kano and Sokoto. It's like asking why someone would want to be the king of england when he could join the african development bank. Sanusi is first and foremost and islamic scholar. He was only made a banker when the owner of first bank bailed him out of a prison and gave him the job.

the emirs determine elections and control popular opinion
Sanusi has first and second degrees in economics though. The benefit of him being an emir would be to modernize it. Use it's funds to expand it's influence and build modern institutions. Another benefit is he will have the position until he dies. The money is likely better than the afdb but of course nowhere near the king of England.

I'm looking for much money they get yearly but can't find anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts