1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Emirates pushes Perth-US service
Steve Creedy
April 21, 2006
EMIRATES plans to use its new twice-daily services to Perth to promote travel between the western capital and the US.

The Dubai carrier will add a another three flights to Perth in September to bring the service to double daily and believes routes to the US through Dubai are a viable alternative for Perth travellers.

"By the end of the year we'll have three services a day to New York from Dubai and then we'll start our expansion into the rest of North America," Emirates senior vice-president of commercial operations for East Asia and Australasia, Richard Vaughan, said in Sydney this week.

"We envisage about nine points in North America.

"There are very good connections, certainly for the Perth market, and putting on the double daily into Perth makes it even more flexible."

As well as promoting the US to Perthites, Mr Vaughan said the airline would also be promoting travel to Perth.

"There is definitely a traffic there," he said.

Emirates officials expect to make a formal request to Canberra for extra flights to Australia within the next two months and are expecting a strong lobbying effort from Qantas.

The airline denies allegations by Air New Zealand and Qantas it is dumping capacity on the Tasman and Mr Vaughan said yesterday the airline had still not decided whether to use the A380s on trans-Tasman route.

The airline will introduce A380s to Sydney in September next year and shortly afterwards into Melbourne.

He said he failed to understand why Qantas and Air New Zealand were so agitated over Emirates and Singapore Airlines.

"The supposed ogre that we are, all we're trying to do is take passengers to and from Australia at a competitive price and with a quality product," he said.

The Emirates executive also said there were no plans to establish the long-rumoured hub in Auckland.

"It's possible to do but currently we don't have plans for it," he said.

"But our market moves pretty quickly and we're geared up to move quickly with it."

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
Are Emirates allowed to fly from Australia to other places (like US, Canada)? How far can they fly? I thought that's what Singapore Airlines was trying to do! And does Perth have services to North America already?

·
Registered
341 Posts
This isn't really all that revolutionary. All EK is saying is that they will market DXB as an alternative to SYD, AKL, SIN, HKG, KUL and JNB to the US.

·
Here
6,589 Posts
I don't think there are any direct flights from Perth to any USA city. You always have to flight through Sydney first?

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
If this went ahead, this route would just be about the longest in the world, wouldn't it?

I recall reading somewhere that Melbourne-LA was something like the longest route.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ipggi said:
I don't think there are any direct flights from Perth to any USA city. You always have to flight through Sydney first?
Perth to LA passengers also fly via Melbourne or Brisbane to Los Angeles

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
dallas said:
He said he failed to understand why Qantas and Air New Zealand were so agitated over Emirates and Singapore Airlines.
Simple - Emirates is heavily subsidised by the government - how else could an airline get so large in little over a decade!
They pay next to nothing for fuel, have massive concessions elsewhere.

·
Registered
74 Posts
yeah but the country only pays $0.33 cents a litre for petrol! of course they are going to have a heads up on other airlines.

·
©
9,470 Posts
It looks as though the flight will PER-DXB-JFK, using the same A/C for the whole flight. A direct service doesn't neccessarily mean non-stop. It should though....... This is the same deal for the old BNE-AKL-LAX route.

invincible: MEL-LAX used to be the longest commercial air route in the world. I think the longest route is now SIN-JFK.

·
©
9,470 Posts
I'm not sure that Emirates would have the rights to fly from Australia to the USA? Thats why i think if they route the flight through DXB, they could get away with it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Toronto would be good to service via EK Europe destinations like London or Manchester. Only problem is Toronto is the most expensive airport in the world to land in - I didn't realise till recently that it was more costly to land there than even the likes of Narita or JFK. The new terminal and its monorial needs to get pain somehow I suppose.

I worked for Emirates in the 90's and often flew between Manchester and Melbourne via DXB. Excellent airline and generous to their staff, well at least compared to my time with Qantas or Air Sydney as I called them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wezza said:
I'm not sure that Emirates would have the rights to fly from Australia to the USA? Thats why i think if they route the flight through DXB, they could get away with it.
Correct they alread fly DXB to JFK, And PERTH to DBX, all they are doing is scheduling the flights so that they can connect at DBX. Therefore they can promote a new flight without actually having to do much and it helps fill their planes in both directions.

·
©
9,470 Posts
^^
I believe they will within the next few years. They've made no secrets about their interest in Adelaide. Keep your fingers crossed anyhow!! ;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes, the 2 flights ex PER connect in DXB with the 2 flights to JFK. Nothing special. Just like how the SQ services ex PER connects with the SQ flights to JFK in Singapore, or the QF flights connect in SYD to JFK. Dubai is just a transit stop, nothing less, nothing more.

·
Proud Victorian!
7,748 Posts
invincible: MEL-LAX used to be the longest commercial air route in the world. I think the longest route is now SIN-JFK.
Correct! MEL-LAX was the longest non-stop flight until SIN-EWR was introduced. MEL-LAX is currently however the longest non-stop flight operated by a 747.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts