SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
(time:10:15am)

Just wanted to let everyone know that I will be graduating from St. Augustine's College with a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Organizational Management on 5/13/2006 at the Dorton Arena @ the State Fairgrounds in Raleigh, NC. It has been a long time coming. I started as an adult learner in St. Aug's Gateway Program in 2001. The Gateway Program is an excelerated degree program for working adults who , at sometime in their lives, did not get to go or finish school traditionallly after High School.

I am glad to have finished for 2001-2005 has been tough for me, but with God's help I did it. I promised my father 2 weeks before he died that I would go back to school. I pray he is smiling down on me.

Now that I have said that...............I want to do a little net working. I currently work as a Family Service Worker, which is closely similar to a social service worker, except I work for a Head Start Agency. I am desparately trying to get back into the field of Human Resources. If anyone on this forum (mainly NC Forummers from the Raleigh-Durham area) can give me any leads as to where I can apply, please do so. You send a message back thorugh a thread or pm me and I'll even send you a copy of my resume. Thank You!

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
emjohnson2, congratulations on keeping your promise to your father and for reaching a great milestone in your life. I will keep an eye for you and email you anything interesting I might see. Maybe something that will allow you to live and work in DT Raleigh ;)

·
The Secret Word Is:
387 Posts
:eek:kay: Congraduations!

I did know someone in the Wilmington area with family working in that field, but I haven't talked to that person in a long time. I wish you the best in your job search. I will pray for you in your job search today.

I know you're father is smiling right now!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I will get around to sending you some pics, my cousin sent to me, taken at the graduation. It was a long drawn-out process.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I had promised you to do my best and be there for your graduation, but alas, we were asked to work on Saturday (morning job) because the project is so far behind :(

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you all. I not trying to make to big of a deal out of it........but for my family it is. there isn't a whole lot of us. I am the only male out of 15 grandchildren to graduate from college, out of 15 grands, its only five of us now. education is very important to blacks, given the history of what our ancestors went thru. Now its on to NCCU this fall for my MBA.........another journey. My mother did say that its easier in grad school than under grad.......given her experience.

I come from a long line of teachers, accountants and RNs......My mom and all of her sisters ( all 4 of them are teachers, the eldest is a doctor). We have three PHD's in the family. Not bragging ...just proud.........

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
emjohnson2 said:
education is very important to blacks...
True!!! I am glad you are thinking this way. I am not black - you know it, of course - but I think that education is important for ALL people, no matter how far their life takes them. The best way to honor the black people who fought poverty and raised above it will be to take advantage of EVERY opportunity which places you one step higher. Lead by example :eek:kay: You don't have to have a PhD to be great, but good education always helps you to see things many others don't see.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Raleigh-NC said:
True!!! I am glad you are thinking this way. I am not black - you know it, of course - but I think that education is important for ALL people, no matter how far their life takes them. The best way to honor the black people who fought poverty and raised above it will be to take advantage of EVERY opportunity which places you one step higher. Lead by example :eek:kay: You don't have to have a PhD to be great, but good education always helps you to see things many others don't see.
Raleigh-NC you are a very open-minded individual.

·
abdulsharifshoots.com
1,701 Posts
i was the first male on my fathers side of the family to get a college degree and the first child of my parents to get a college degree. One of my younger brothers dropped out of high school . I'm soon to be getting a masters degree.

good luck

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Soulbrotha said:
i was the first male on my fathers side of the family to get a college degree and the first child of my parents to get a college degree. One of my younger brothers dropped out of high school . I'm soon to be getting a masters degree.

good luck
I think I'll consult you for papers.............APA style or MLA? hahaha!

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
good work. keep pushing for your dreams. i walk on saturday...soon enough, i can be called "esquire."

-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts