SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or is the M62 from/to the Rocket a disgrace, I know we’re not getting my visits at the moment due to Covid but the sides are full of rubbish. Cant imagine this making a good First impression on any potential investors to the City. Surely we can do better, whats the point making the roads etc in City centre better, when people want to turn around when they see the mess. Come on Highways get your finger out and brighten up this area.

·
Registered
954 Posts
It could be a lot better. But it could also be a lot worse.

The M62 was never supposed to end at the Rocket. Under the 1965 Shankland Plan, it was supposed to carry on right to the city centre to meet up with a series of inner city motorways. M58 too:

Had it been constructed as intended, Rodney Street would have been replaced by an elevated motorway, the Anglican Cathedral would have been adjacent to a massive grade separated junction, a motorway would have pummelled its way through the middle of the Baltic Triangle, and the Three Graces and the waterfront would have been cut off from the city centre proper by a major road construction.

In some respects I bemoan what we have. The run-up to the Rocket is odd, and it's really unusual that we have a major motorway which just stops at Queens Drive with basically no real destination. However, I think the alternative is much worse. I'm sort of relieved when I think about what could have been.

Liverpool's urban planners have done enough damage to the city over they years. The Shankland Plan would have made it unrecognisable compared with what we have today.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It could be a lot better. But it could also be a lot worse.

The M62 was never supposed to end at the Rocket. Under the 1965 Shankland Plan, it was supposed to carry on right to the city centre to meet up with a series of inner city motorways. M58 too:

Had it been constructed as intended, Rodney Street would have been replaced by an elevated motorway, the Anglican Cathedral would have been adjacent to a massive grade separated junction, a motorway would have pummelled its way through the middle of the Baltic Triangle, and the Three Graces and the waterfront would have been cut off from the city centre proper by a major road construction.

In some respects I bemoan what we have. The run-up to the Rocket is odd, and it's really unusual that we have a major motorway which just stops at Queens Drive with basically no real destination. However, I think the alternative is much worse. I'm sort of relieved when I think about what could have been.

Liverpool's urban planners have done enough damage to the city over they years. The Shankland Plan would have made it unrecognisable compared with what we have today.
that blue print looks awful. Thank god it didn't happen.

The traffic is bad but could be an opportunity to make it modern and futureproof by taking into account new infrastructure like HS2

·
Registered
54 Posts
They're going to spend £120m to demolish the flyover and replace it with an underpass (going between M62 and Edge Lane I think). I am not a fan of increasing road capacity but let's hope it comes with major improvements for pedestrians and cyclists. Just think how many miles of cycle tracks could be built for £120m! (Off topic)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts