Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
New Nottingham!
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As there have been postings and interest in this topic I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread about them.

We'll start with the daddy - Emley Moor. At 330.4m (1084ft) it's the tallest structure in the country.

·
New Nottingham!
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A group of masts in Rugby.

Waltham TV Mast near Melton Mowbray. 314m high. The original built in 1967 collapsed a year later and the parts are still used today as pig shelters.

Detail of the top.

Winter Hill Mast.

·
2,231 Posts
Blackhill Transmitter just South of Cumbernauld. Joint 8th Tallest Structure in Britain at 306.6m.

Look at the top of it in the clouds.:|

The Blackhill transmitter is the tall one near the centre. The one on the fra right is Kirk O' Shotts at 183m.

·
telling the world how
2,268 Posts
Wikipedia:

"One of the most notable landmarks around Rugby is the Rugby VLF transmitter, a large radio transmitting station located just to the east of the town. The station was opened in 1926 and has been used to transmit the MSF time signal. Several of the masts however were decommissioned and demolished by explosives in 2004, although a few including 4 of the biggest masts still remain. (Firing the explosive charges was delayed by rabbits gnawing the wires)."

I'll try and find a recent pic...

·
Better To Do Nothing
10,500 Posts
Oh Good, a chance to mention my favourite building and home to possibly the First dedicated TV Mast in the world...Ally Pally (Alexandra Palace) :)

The Palace itself was built in 1873 In North London, as a rival to Crystal Palace (at that time in South London). The TV Mast was added in 1935 and used by the BBC to transmit the worlds first Television Broadcasts.

Here is more info from Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandra_Palace said:
In 1935 the palace was partly occupied by the BBC, which used it as the production and transmission centre for their new BBC Television Service. The antenna was designed by Charles Samuel Franklin of the Marconi company. The world's first public broadcasts of high-definition television were made from this site in 1936. Two competing systems, Marconi-EMI's 405-line system and Baird's 240-line system, were installed, each with its own broadcast studio, and were transmitted on alternate weeks until the 405-line system was chosen in 1937. The palace continued as the BBC's main TV transmitting centre for London until 1956, interrupted only by World War II when the transmitter found an alternative use jamming German bombers' navigation systems (it is said that only 25% of London raids were effective because of these transmissions).[citation needed] After that it continued to be used for news broadcasts until 1969, and for the Open University until the early 1980s. The antenna mast still stands, and is still used for local analogue television transmission, local commercial radio and DAB broadcasts. The main London television transmitter is at Crystal Palace in South London.
And some pics...

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
I forgot that they were demolished. It's a shame as there was a nice little cluster of them. Im sure you can see them from the motorway or is that some different ones im thinking of?
Have they just been left like that or have they been taken apart and moved from the site?
The Rugby masts are/were visible from where the M6 meets the M1 as Borras Hwfa said. :yes:

Wikipedia:

"One of the most notable landmarks around Rugby is the Rugby VLF transmitter, a large radio transmitting station located just to the east of the town. The station was opened in 1926 and has been used to transmit the MSF time signal. Several of the masts however were decommissioned and demolished by explosives in 2004, although a few including 4 of the biggest masts still remain. (Firing the explosive charges was delayed by rabbits gnawing the wires)."

I'll try and find a recent pic...
Demolished by explosives?! For a piece of metal?? Seems strange. :|

·
Fus-Ro-Dah!
12,506 Posts
There are big group of masts near Ludlow as well. They're not as big as the former Rugby ones but they recently put in a planning app for some aditional ones.

Anyway some more of the Wrekin. You can only just about see the mast but I'm gonna post them anyway.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Is it that tiny little thing poking it's head over the hill in the distance?
Oooh Bitchy! :lol:

Telfordboy, those masts near Ludlow are at Woofferton. They are a big surprise when travelling in that area after miles and miles of fields.

Here they are on a map - there's squillions of them!

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=350000&Y=268000&width=700&height=400&gride=351488.813039884&gridn=274655.228163742&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=freegaz&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=true&zm=0&scale=25000&upright.x=62&upright.y=5

Note how some of the masts are in Shropshire and some are over the border in Herefordshire.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ok, perhaps not the greatest picture to showcase my offering to this thread but....
In the distance is the tower located on the Old Dean Estate between Camberley and Bagshot in Surrey. It is a real monster, being very wide and imposing and quite tall. I really have no idea what it's primary use is so if anyone local knows, do enlighten me! The tower is highly visible to the surrounding area - you may have seen it approaching junction 3 on the M3 southbound.

The aircraft in the foreground are business jets at Farnborough Airport (formerly the RAE).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts