Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
SPAMMED
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so here goes... I've wanted to see this thread on here for a long time, because, although widely discussed and argued (especially the London vs. NY debate) there has never really been an intelligent debate between the highs and lows of these two countries.

So yeah maybe modern America did stem from europe, but all that aside, England, or America... Which is the better country?

·
ONE WORLD
9,172 Posts
ok recipe for disaster.

Lets make a rule, Brits have to praise USA and Americans have to praise UK.
For criticism let the Brits criticise UK and the Americans criticise USA.

Otherwise things will escalate and this thread will be locked before one page, and there'll be no constructive discussion.

edit* its never goin to work is it??

Ok maybe if we have a criticism/praise of another country we have to offset it with a criticism/praise of our own country?

·
ONE WORLD
9,172 Posts
Ill start off?

I love how America is so vast with such a variety of stunning landscapes, and how 1/3 of it is still forested. The people are also open and not afraid to be friendly. I love the history and the different (and ongoing) civil rights movements from women to gays to races. NYC and San Fransisco are superlative. The tradition of immigration has led to a vibrant communities and movements over the years from soul to mardi gras, I love the whole idea of Halloween and everyone dressing up bonkers, and the fact we can even celebrate the macabre. Id love to visit the hauntingly beautiful country in Oregon, Alaska, New England and the Appalachians, the kind of cold landscapes that is as exotic to me as the hot. I adore the fact that parts of the country is still unexplored, that a species such as Bigfoot might conceivably exist in a nation of 300 million people. Then theres still the surviving few cultures of the immigrants that are still relatively overlooked, from Creoles to Cajuns, to Amish to New Englanders with Irish accents, and to the original natives themselves, the vast plethora of cultures and languages and traditional costumes the native Americans have, to the urban tribes themselves from emo kids to hiphoppers to stockbrokers to desperate housewives.

I love UK for the mix of cultures and juxtaposition of old and new, history round every corner, and cutting edge arts, street fashions and media. London, Brighton and Edinburgh unique in the world, the crazy age old traditions and festivals whose meaning are lost in time, the respect to eccentricity and huge choice of world cuisines in even the tiniest village. I love the vibrancy of the city centres and the famous tolerance (though now being degraded by media sensationalism and its PC horror stories), unfazed by outrageous behaviour or loudness. I love the new fads in music and fashions and lifestyles from nu rave to Trinidadian soca, to the fact everyone goes a bit mad in summer and strips off in public, and still a background to it all age old traditions from summer balls to Glyndbourne Opera to Royal Ascot to the Changing of the Guard to cheese-rolling-down-hills-and-you-chasing-it festivals. I love the pubs, especially the ones with a roaring fire in winter, the intelligent conversation and the stupid banter mixed rough and smooth, the sense of humour and the fact you can sit any two Brits together and after a few minutes theyll be laughing. I love that you can be any race and still be as British as Shakespeare, despite what the tabloids say.

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
canadas the best
That's an easy way to keep this thread under control. We're really the best of both worlds. Part of the Commonwealth, yet more closely related to America than any other country in the world. ;)

·
SPAMMED
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my opinion, I believe Americans have a much better way of life than us Brits. I should (and probably am) pretty biased because I've only ever visited the US once and that was to Florida, but in terms of the media, of which we get a lot of american in the UK, generally the place looks ten times better. In the suburbs anyway, it's all fresh, clean, green, big detached houses, sunny days, perfect lawns, happy friendly people. During my 4 weeks staying in a villa in Kissimmee FL, I could literally feel a lift in my overall mood, I felt a better person, everything was uplifting and there wasn't a day i didn't wake up to the sunshine refreshed and happy. Wherever I went i was greeted, I was wished a nice day at least a dozen times per day, everyone was friendly, the roads were of amazing quality, the suburban neighborhood was like a storybook.

I lived the life of a floridian (minus the obvious job, financial issues etc.) and I loved it. Since then I have never felt satisfied with my way of life. The tight together, dense, grey, brickiness of this country brings me down each day I wake up. Though America based most of it's suburbs on Britain's 'pioneering' garden town projects, once again - though car-ruled and architecturally false - America takes the idea and improves on it. Beautiful homes, gorgous landscapes, and even though there was a sort of 'theme park' and almost clinical feel to everything, it has all been done to perfection

America's cities I feel, are also a lot more vibrant. It's obvious I think aesthetics are important, because I believe they can change a person's mood like the weather, but clean, well-planned streets also contribute. Of these I feel the US has many, and beats the UK hands down. Architecture - on the whole america wins again. okay so we have some great architecture in this country, but we don't have it in the volume America does, and everything 'post-war' meaning our housing, office blocks, street design, bins, planting, parks, EVERYTHING has aged to a sickening extent. Building built in America a few decades back today still look great.

Most people here will complain about our new mock tudor/georgian/victorian housing, but when you compare it to the inexcusable (sp?) waves of identical PLAIN brick boxes all adjoined together in long lines that you find all across britain

anyways long enough post, i'll move on to bigging up britain later, looking forward to reading everyones comments

·
Blue Collar
899 Posts
were both full of clever, witty, and well-to-do people
wed be better off not comparing ourselves and rather, enjoying our similarities.
but for arguments sake, America is possibly better than england:lol:

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
In my opinion, I believe Americans have a much better way of life than us Brits. I should (and probably am) pretty biased because I've only ever visited the US once and that was to Florida, but in terms of the media, of which we get a lot of american in the UK, generally the place looks ten times better. In the suburbs anyway, it's all fresh, clean, green, big detached houses, sunny days, perfect lawns, happy friendly people. During my 4 weeks staying in a villa in Kissimmee FL, I could literally feel a lift in my overall mood, I felt a better person, everything was uplifting and there wasn't a day i didn't wake up to the sunshine refreshed and happy. Wherever I went i was greeted, I was wished a nice day at least a dozen times per day, everyone was friendly, the roads were of amazing quality, the suburban neighborhood was like a storybook.

I lived the life of a floridian (minus the obvious job, financial issues etc.) and I loved it. Since then I have never felt satisfied with my way of life. The tight together, dense, grey, brickiness of this country brings me down each day I wake up. Though America based most of it's suburbs on Britain's 'pioneering' garden town projects, once again - though car-ruled and architecturally false - America takes the idea and improves on it. Beautiful homes, gorgous landscapes, and even though there was a sort of 'theme park' and almost clinical feel to everything, it has all been done to perfection

America's cities I feel, are also a lot more vibrant. It's obvious I think aesthetics are important, because I believe they can change a person's mood like the weather, but clean, well-planned streets also contribute. Of these I feel the US has many, and beats the UK hands down. Architecture - on the whole america wins again. okay so we have some great architecture in this country, but we don't have it in the volume America does, and everything 'post-war' meaning our housing, office blocks, street design, bins, planting, parks, EVERYTHING has aged to a sickening extent. Building built in America a few decades back today still look great.

Most people here will complain about our new mock tudor/georgian/victorian housing, but when you compare it to the inexcusable (sp?) waves of identical PLAIN brick boxes all adjoined together in long lines that you find all across britain

anyways long enough post, i'll move on to bigging up britain later, looking forward to reading everyones comments
Man! Biased much eh?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think both are great countries, however for different reasons. America is great because of the sheer amount of diversity in everything from cities to landscapes. It's not everywhere where you can ski down giant mountains or sit on tropical beaches.

I can't even begin to describe the UK...the place seems made for me. I love the vibrant cities and ancient villages. I like the loads of history and the stunning countryside. I also like the fact it's so "connected" to the rest of the world.

saying that, my favorite country is...both. I know that's a safe answer, but its true. Both are great places, I just prefer living in the UK. People are different with different opinions, which is why its great we have so many unique places in the world. :cheers:

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
The Northeast of the US and the UK have a lot in common culturally. For example, the UK has more in common with the people residing in BOSWASH than it does with people residing in other European countries, such as Italy, France, etc.

Overall, however, I think that the UK is a better place than the US because outside of BOSHWASH and some other urban areas, the US has many ill-informed rural people, many of whom go to Washington and enact insane policies.

Ultimately, however, in terms of better or best, I think that Canada and Germany are better "world citizens" than the US or the UK.

·
Sent from down-below. :P
1,207 Posts
Your average Canadian today has much more in common with an American than a Brit...not saying that's necessarily a good thing.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Your average Canadian today has much more in common with an American than a Brit...not saying that's necessarily a good thing.
It's hard to generalize about Americans since it's such a huge country. Most people in BOSHWASH favor gay rights, gun countrol, the Kyoto Protocal, etc. and their states have laws that relate to these topics. BOSHWASH alone has 60m people.

By contrast, conservative, Evangelical areas, like the South and the Midwest (excluding certain pockets), typify attitudes that people regard as "American" and were well-documented by Borat!

·
Banned
523 Posts
I lived in London for a year about 5 years ago. The main difference between the U.S. and England that really stands out are the overall lifestyle and expectations of the residents. I think Brits are happier with less, and Americans are generally more materialistic and have higher expectations. The U.S. is viewed as a country of excesses and wealth, or at least it was by most Europeans who shared an opinion with me. I was told more than once, in the nicest possible way, that I am spoiled...for talking about "stuff" that is considered pretty much standard issue in the U.S. For instance, one of the large boxes I shipped over had all of my coats and jackets in it, and was lost for about 4 months. I was telling a friend I had made that the box contained my long wool overcoat, my goose-down heavy coat, my brown and black leather coats, my lined denim jacket, all of my fleece pullovers, etc...well, he went on to say that I must be very spoiled and have a lot of excess money to spend on clothing - most Londoners only have one coat.

That statement really stuck with me...not that I represent all Americans with my array of winter wear, but I think it's a fairly common story of overall excesses in the U.S. and our standard expectations of such things. The way we live in larger living spaces and the amount of unnecessary purchases we make is contrasted by Londoners concentrating more on their basic needs.

Brits are also VERY polite in general compared to Americans. That's not to say that Americans are rude or unfriendly, but the British seem more willing to go out of their way to assist or just be courteous...although I found that sometimes it's simply not genuine. Americans are more open with their feelings and will tell you what they think more often than you want to hear it. :)

·
Premium Member
30,812 Posts
OK so here goes... I've wanted to see this thread on here for a long time, because, although widely discussed and argued (especially the London vs. NY debate) there has never really been an intelligent debate between the highs and lows of these two countries.

So yeah maybe modern America did stem from europe, but all that aside, England, or America... Which is the better country?
Depends on what part of the US, and what part of the UK is being compared to really.

A Brit may feel more at home in Boston, than say, Phoenix.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.