SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 503 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Aussies leaving to England shortly, we have a place to fire off any England threats...They seem to be confident this time HAHA :)

I think 4-0, maybe 3-1 with English weather disturbing the peace once, and Strauss/Flintoff firing once!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Currently, against Bangladesh...Trescothick scored 194, while Vaughnan scored 130 and Strauss 69!

Ominous signs for Australia? :jk:

·
Registered Abuser
17,047 Posts
I will be too hot for the ausies!

Im going for a 3-2 England victory!

Come on the poms

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
i reckon it's gonna be 1-0 or 2-1 australia. how about glenn mcgrath getting his 500th in primetime tv, perhaps around 8.30pm here an hour after the first ball was bowled? :D

·
Watch my Chops
6,033 Posts
hoffburger said:
gotta love how the poms talk up there chances b4 each ashes series and then cop a whoopin.
When did they last win the series? :runaway:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ England last one ashes in 1986-87

·
Premium Member
9,520 Posts
I think Australia can win 3-1, the present English matches against Bangladesh mean nothing. Bangladesh should not even have test nation status at the moment, they are too poor and serve only to inflate the averages of sides playing them (Muralitheran especially).

I was lucky enough to be in the members at Lords during the last Ashes, it was a great day, drinking pints of fosters and watching the Aussies give them a beating.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^Dont agree. The more the test playing nations the better for the game, in the long term. Not sure how long it took other nations to win their first test match, but BAN & ZIM are growing their cricket base in an Australian dominated era.

By that logic, Hayden's highest test score of 380 should not count then?

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
Q-TIP said:
Only 1-0, 2-1 in a 5 match series?
English weather can be unpredictable. Plus I think the chances are high at least one of those matches will have no result.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fair call...

The Poms are smashing the Bangladeshis...the test could be over in 2 days...
On the eve of their flight to England Ponting made intimidating comments about 'mental disintegration' of the Poms. A leaf out of Steve Waugh's book:)

Ponting aims to dent England early

Cricinfo staff

June 4, 2005
Ricky Ponting wants to dent England's morale early and said that the two one-day series would be crucial to gain mental advantage ahead of the much-anticipitated Ashes in July. Speaking ahead of the team's departure from Brisbane, Ponting said that it was important that Australians dominated the one-dayers and created a few doubts in the minds of the Englishmen before the Test series.

"It's important that we get off to a good start in the one-day series," Ponting told the press before departing. "I'm not a big believer in taking momentum from a one-day series into a Test series but if we can create some doubts in a couple of individuals minds then that'll be good for us. Those guys obviously haven't played much against Australia and I've heard different things that they think that could be a good thing for them."

Ponting acknowledged England's fantastic run over the last year but added that some of their players might still have some apprehensions coming into the series. "The other thing is that they haven't been successful against the best side in the world," he said, "so they'll always have a few doubts in the back of their mind if they actually can compete against us." He added that England wouldn't gain too much out of their current two-Test series against Bangladesh and said, "It's good for those guys to be playing some Test cricket at the moment but by the time we get there it's coming towards the end of their summer, which will be a good time for us to play as well," he said. "So they won't take a lot out of that and we won't take too much notice of what happens."

Ponting spoke of the hype surrounding the forthcoming series, probably the most eagerly-awaited Ashes in recent memory, but added that the current side were used to handling such pressures. "If our batsmen play as well as we can that's going to be the key for us," he said. "It's up to us. There's going to be a lot more pressure on everyone during this series just because it's England. There's no doubt about that, but the great thing about it from our side is that there's been expectations on this team for five or six years. We go into every single series as favourite and this one's going to be no different."

He also recalled the tremendous pressure that he was under during the last Ashes in England, when his place was on the line, but managed to seal his No.3 spot with a scintillating hundred at Headingley. "I guess the feeling is going to be fairly similar, because I went there to prove a point last time."

John Buchanan, the Australian coach, believed that the tactical inputs from Australian players currently taking part in the English County Championship - like Shane Warne and Simon Katich - could prove crucial. "In terms of tactically preparing and certainly preparing against some players that we may not have come up against regularly," he said, "then the input of Shane or Simon or Michael Hussey, who have been over there, is always good and any little bit of information we can get is always valuable."

Australia begin their tour with a one-off Twenty20 match on June 13 before squaring off against England and Bangladesh in a triangular series. They play England three more times after that series in the lead-up to the opening Test at Lord's that begins on July 21.

© Cricinfo

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
Hmmm... Brett Lee didn't play in the counties did he? Shame how he doesn't get the baggy green against Pakistan or the Kiwis, and when the opportunity comes up to bowl for a couple of days, instead to just 10 overs, in the English counties, they tell him to rest for the Ashes...

It's been a proven line-up in ODIs, but the accuracy of Mcgrath and the sheer speed of Lee over 2 innings could be potentially deadly, especially this series, 'cause pitches late summer are drier.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
renell said:
Hmmm... Brett Lee didn't play in the counties did he? Shame how he doesn't get the baggy green against Pakistan or the Kiwis, and when the opportunity comes up to bowl for a couple of days, instead to just 10 overs, in the English counties, they tell him to rest for the Ashes...

It's been a proven line-up in ODIs, but the accuracy of Mcgrath and the sheer speed of Lee over 2 innings could be potentially deadly, especially this series, 'cause pitches late summer are drier.
I feel your sentiments. The bloke should have ignored that recommendation and play county cricket. Though the tour is 3 months and fast bowlers do get injured. Let's hope the big three; McGrath, Warne and Gillespie stay fit...

Lee though I feel will play in the one dayers, just to ruffle the Poms. Ponting said that they want to get under the English batsmen skin, and with Lee charging in, there is no sight like it, intimidating batsmen. BTW, having played on the English pitches, it is much more conducive to swing, seam bowling! Bring on the quartet!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I like it when englands fans talk up their chances - back in 2002 they didnt give them any chance at all they were practically supporting Australia. Which is no fun when you are trying to wind them up.

This time england does have at least a half decent team
Englands batting doesnt have any obvious weak links like it used to Straus, trescothic, vaughn, thorpe - all play consistantly well. Key is another one who does have the ability. Last time it was the likes of husain and butcher - who could potentially score big but you were pretty sure of getting them cheaply)

Coming in at six is flintoff - and I think he is actually going to bat pretty well against the aussies - maybe average in the 40s.

After flintoff comes in its the tail - jones cant bat. I think england will plan to get at least 250 runs with their first six wickets and hope the tail takes them above 300.

I think they would be happy to score 350 in a day and a half.

Then when the aussies come in to bat i think we will see the poms real shortcomings - hoggard, jones, harmison, giles, batty, flintoff or anderson whoever they choose to bowl they dont have much I think they will be bowling on a hope and a prayer. I think Australia will be going for a few 'innings and ' victories.

The most interesting things about the test series will be the Aussie bowlers aginst the English batters, I will like to see who comes off on top first.

I think McGraths 500th will come in the third over (Mcgraths second) fourth bowl into the over the batter plays a back foot defensive stroke and the nicks it into the slips. Trescothic caught Warne bowled mcgrath for 4. (I also predict Mcgraths 501st wicket will come in the next ball :))

Other talking points are Haydens form (I think he will score big) and if Pieterson plays in the tests - I think if he plays well in the one dayers they will include him - they might be concerned if he doesnt do well in the tests he will be scarred for life - but they should just throw him in i think.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey Giorgos.

You say 'I hate watching the grass grow....id rather watch paint dry'. Where is the paint drying, and the grass growing? Probably through the 700 billion boring nil all draws in world soccer/ football every year. If you don't like a game like cricket, fair enough, but don't make try to say soccer/ football is any better.

·
Registered
820 Posts
So what are everyone's thoughts on this 20/20 rubbish? I watched the NZ-Aus game a couple of months ago and I don't think it's an interesting contest. It's a slogathon. The further you move away from test cricket, the more pure skill is removed from the game. Basically, the penalty for taking a stupid risk is rather minimal. This encourages this style of play and dispenses with the need for traditional cricket strokes.
Bring on the tests.

The game starts in about 2 hours.

1 - 20 of 503 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.