Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In an architectural article in The Age yesterday (see theatre districts thread) Norman Day spoke about Melbourne's "concealed charisma" ... describing the topography as "drab,' and adding in the first para "there is no paroramic view outside across to surrounding mountains. No harbour views."

hmmm, well, I know it's not Sydney - virtually no other has that setting in fact: but I think the Melbourne region has many charms, and is much under-rated. It got me to thinking: personally I know almost nothing of Brisbane's natural setting, and very little of Perth's - although I understand the Swan estuary is beautiful.

Anyway, I thought I would put together a portfolio of that gives some realistic idea of Melbourne's natural setting, and hope some others will post theirs.

The idea is to confine it to natural settings within a hour or so of the city, and feel contiguous to it: that is, part of the city's region, rather than stretching to tourist areas well beyond it.

For a start, apart from its river, people seem to forget that Melbourne also sits right on a big and beautiful stretch of water called Port Phillip Bay, which does have a diverse coastline ...this is from Brighton (by Adam Carr, flickr)

The city is ringed on three sides by misted blue ranges,
the southern ends of the Great Dividing Range. The Dandenongs and the Warburton Ranges to the east:
(also from flickr)

This is on the Mornington Peninsula (by alandot, flickr)

The city is now besieged by Vineyards, particularly in the Yarra Valley (woodibee, flickr)

and some typical pastoral scenes out that way:

(shimon21, flickr)

Some typical country out that way, including the Yarra Valley (by intwomountains, flickr)

Warburton-Woods Point Road: its a bit far out, but typical ranges country (by SplaTT, flickr)

(by robynsykes, flickr)

The Dandenongs, closest to the city, and covered in dense forest and ferns, Sherbrooke Forest being most famous:

(Chip2094,flickr)

Southwest of the city (towards Geelong) are the You Yangs,
seen here from Port Phillip Bay in a placid mood (by Johnathon Guppy on flickr)

sacred aboriginal grounds, the You Yangs are a dry, rugged area, kind of extension of the Great Dividing Range and the granite country north of the city

From St Kilda hill and peir, many points on the bay, the bridges and the Western Ring Road, you can look out and see the misted blue, mighty shoulder of Mount Macedon - kind of entry point to the area the explorer Major Mitchell call 'Australia Felix' (the happy land). Mitchell, with the British classical Greek education of his class, gave it the name.

Strangely I couldn't actually find a pic showing Mt Macedon as it appears from those viewpoints...anyway, the famous Hanging Rock of literary and film fame is just behind it

the granite country at Lancefield, a little to the north east

Warburton Ranges again

That's it, Bronte

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
You'd be struggling to say that Melbourne's natural setting is particularly stunning, but it's definitely picturesque.

Here you can see the Dandenongs off to the east. To the north you can see them start to fall, to create the Yarra valley:

Here you can see the You Yangs to the southwest. They look very nice on the drive to Geelong:

Here is Port Phillip Bay with the smaller Hobsons Bay to the fore and the enterance to the Yarra just out of picture to the right:

I recommend a drive up through the forest giants in the Dandenongs followed by a delicous lunch and bottle of wine in the Yarra valley. Very nice on a Sunday.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Melbourne is not the most stunning city when it comes to natural setting, but it isnt the worst either.

Port Phillip Bay is our playground, and with over 90km of bay beaches on the western coastline, along with open ocean beaches at the southern end of the Penisula we are spoiled for choice when it comes to summer time. Melbourne is also surrounded by hills districts and mountains and much of the North-Eastern, Eastern and North Western suburbs are located in hilly areas with views over rivers, valleys and ridges.

Some of Melbournes Beauty.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=325859989&context=set-72157594426055564&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=325841268&context=set-72157594426055564&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=325859989&context=set-72157594426055564&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=325850751&context=set-72157594426055564&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=335959818&size=o

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=335959140&context=set-72157594557310428&size=o

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
6,242 Posts
Attractive place with awesome pics , and thanks for sharing !

·
26,664 Posts
This pic looks awesome. How close are those hills/mountains to the CBD?
Yeah it's about 5km, but it is really hilly all the way to those mountains, like foothills. This starts at the CBD.

To me Cairns has the most impressive environs, although I haven't got any pics at the moment.

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
Does Moreton Bay have beaches, or is it mainly mangroves?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I do really fancy the Port Phillip Bay mood & scenery
it is so placid and wondeful -
thanks Mic !

I have been doing some researches over few inner city suburbs around Melbourne - and am so surprised that some parts of Melbourne are hilly (gentle slopes) like in Ascot Vale & Northcote

would be nicer if there were hills around Hampton/Brighton too!

·
26,664 Posts
Does Moreton Bay have beaches, or is it mainly mangroves?
It would be about 50/50 I'd say. We have beaches (regardless of the quality ;)) at Redcliffe, Sandgate, Nudgee, Wynnum, Cleaveland etc. etc. Our quality beaches and the beaches that attract the people are at the Gold and Sunshine Coast.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I wouldn't call them beaches. Mostly mudflats, espescially Nudgee beach. The beach at Redcliffe is ok but generally speaking you wouldn't rate any of Brisbane beaches as anything to get excited about. Even the beaches on Moretan bay are still a but of a drive tfrom the city so people who want to spend a day on the sand are most likely to go to Sunshine or Gold Coasts.

·
Perthite
8,042 Posts
I put Sydney as number 1, it obviously has the most stunning natural setting of any captial in australia. I would then Put Perth second :) Its set on the HUGE swan river, most don't appreciate the actual width of it, especially just west of the city, I heard somewhere that the widest point is wider than the sydney harbour? Not sure about this truth. But to the west we have the endless white beaches and to the east we have the darlin ranges, which has a beauty of its own. However inbetween it is quite flat, and its the swan river that gives the beauty. Ah and who can forget Kings Park and its views over the city :).

Some pictures from Flickr:
From the Swan River

From South Perth

This shows how big the river is (note this is not the widest part)

Here is a good photo showing the size of the river:

Cottesloe Beach (the beaches are like this for 95% of perths coastline (and WA for that matter))

Rockingham Beach looking over at Garden Island and the Cockburn Sound, always lots of Dolphins in here:

Photos don't do Kings Parks view of the city too well, its something you have to see yourself to fully appreciate its setting:

And last but not least a pic of Perth from the darling ranges from docker for the WA forums:

ANd lastly, sorry for wasting your bandwidth, but i was trying to illistrate Perths setting. A satelite image showing the size of the river would be nice to add, but i can't be bothered making one lol.

·
26,664 Posts
Cairns - to me, the environs are the best of any city in Australia. Where the rainforested mountains meet the sea:

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I posted some of Sydney Harbour in this thread yesterday which shows our city's harbourside setting (these were taken around sunset). Catpures the true beauty of the city's settings.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=484717

And I took a good one of Brisbane from the air last year showing the settings well

And the mountains as seen from the burbs (Banyo, 12km east of the city)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts