Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Djibouti
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May 30th, 2010
(HornTrade) – Eritrea has launched a drive to revamp its ports of Massawa and Assab. These ports have been left languishing after the rupture of relations with Ethiopia cut Eritrea out of the picture and Ethiopian cargo moved to neighbouring Djibouti.

The Ports Rehabilitation Project (PRP) is designed to substantially increase the productivity and capacity of both Massawa and Assab ports. Already, there seems to be signs of improvement as the combined number of ships rose by 22% last year: 273 ships called at the port of Massawa with cargo amounting to around 550,000 tonnes.

The project comprises civil works for Massawa, such as repairs, rehabilitation, and extension of berths. There has also been a recent renovation of the fuel jetty landing in Hirgigo costing USD$160,000 and a new jetty is expected to start operations in 2011 with an outlay of over USD$33m.

Further, cargo handling equipment is to be purchased for both Massawa and Assab, while facilities will be dedicated to improve the operating practices at the two ports.

The State of Eritrea received credit from the International Development Association (IDA) and a grant from the European Union toward the cost of the Eritrean Ports Rehabilitation Project.

Source: portstrategy.com

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Ethiopia should be fine with Djibouti alone. I think the relationship with eritrea is severed beyond hope. Ethiopia/eritrea should have no relations and go their seperate ways because the past has been too negative.

·
Banned
16,927 Posts
^^ I think so too, especially in the short-term, with both Issayas and Meles in power.
Maybe in 50 years it will be different.
With Djibouti Port and Tadjoura Port, it should be enough for us, especially if we keep using Berbera. In the future, Lamu may take up a small slice too. It's enough.

·
Premium Member
30,812 Posts
Ethiopia should be fine with Djibouti alone. I think the relationship with eritrea is severed beyond hope. Ethiopia/eritrea should have no relations and go their seperate ways because the past has been too negative.
Never say never. France and Germany were once sworn enemies who fought wars that make that border war between Ethiopia/Eritrea a decade ago look like a playground fight. Now look at them. I think it's probably not going to happen in the short term, but eventually pragmatism will lead the way. A change in government in both countries would greatly make things get better.

Besides geographically it is ideal. Lamu and Port Sudan are too far away from Ethiopia while Eritrea is basically above it.

·
Surprisingly optimistic!
12,864 Posts
Never say never. France and Germany were once sworn enemies who fought wars that make that border war between Ethiopia/Eritrea a decade ago look like a playground fight. Now look at them. I think it's probably not going to happen in the short term, but eventually pragmatism will lead the way. A change in government in both countries would greatly make things get better.

Besides geographically it is ideal. Lamu and Port Sudan are too far away from Ethiopia while Eritrea is basically above it.
Well France was never part of Germany or vice versa. Germans don't speak Alsatian and eat French food. Germans are not culturally similar to the French.

The comparison, I'm sorry to say, is completely off.

·
Djibouti
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be frank, I think the current situation is more unfavorable to Eritrea. Ethiopia shifted to Djibouti and will probably look at Berbera and Lamu, Eritreans could have their slice of that large market. :eek:hno:. I'm not gonna go further, I'll be acused of being anti-Eritrean/ pro-Ethiopian. :nuts:

On the other hand, Djibouti is the country that benefited from that war and the current situation between the 2 countries.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Well France was never part of Germany or vice versa. Germans don't speak Alsatian and eat French food. Germans are not culturally similar to the French.

True, but they were half time Ethiopians starting in the 1300s. They also have a seperate colonial existance and should have never been put together with modern Ethiopia. Ethiopians have to take reposibility for messing up the federation and fumbling many chances to cooperate with eritrea. I dont understand why so many Ethiopians care so much for Eritrea? If they wanted to secede that bad, then accept it. 30 years of war is was way too much. Sinfan, please forget about Eritrea because it has been a great disaster in which Ethiopians have have paid a dear price. The best we can hope for with Eritrea is "no relations" and move on....

To be frank, I think the current situation is more unfavorable to Eritrea. Ethiopia shifted to Djibouti and will probably look at Berbera and Lamu, Eritreans could have their slice of that large market. :eek:hno:. I'm not gonna go further, I'll be acused of being anti-Eritrean/ pro-Ethiopian. :nuts:

On the other hand, Djibouti is the country that benefited from that war and the current situation between the 2 countries.
"Shabia" supporters would never admit to truth. Eritrea was a bit to obsessed with secedding from the "hinterland". The Eritreans were right in priciple but seceding from the "hinterland" was foolish. Ethiopia should accept the "Badme" agreement and move on. The whole thing has been a disaster for both countries and especially Ethiopia.

Ethiopia is actually better off with Djibouti taking care of the import/export logistics!

Ray Siyan, I also appreciate you being "Ethiopia friendly" in a the hostile horn. I remember reading about a post about you asking if "Ethiopians think Djibouti is a part of Ethiopia". That answer is no! Most Ethiopians including I respect the sovernty of Djibouti and any attempts by Ethiopian or Somali imperialists to annex Djibouti is an act of colonialism. Ethiopia historically has had an isocilating boundry and some people go by that logic. So that means that south saudia arabia and sudan should be a part of ethiopia. No, thats not a valid idea.

·
Djibouti
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Shabia" supporters would never admit to truth. Eritrea was a bit to obsessed with secedding from the "hinterland". The Eritreans were right in priciple but seceding from the "hinterland" was foolish. Ethiopia should accept the "Badme" agreement and move on. The whole thing has been a disaster for both countries and especially Ethiopia.
+1. At least someone who admits Ethiopia has its part of responsibility in the current situation.

Ethiopia is actually better off with Djibouti taking care of the import/export logistics!
Well we have to satisfy you guys, if not you'll cut off the Khat and vegetables exports (and soon electricity).:nuts: We need Ethiopia as much as it needs us.

Ray Siyan, I also appreciate you being "Ethiopia friendly" in a the hostile horn. I remember reading about a post about you asking if "Ethiopians think Djibouti is a part of Ethiopia". That answer is no! Most Ethiopians including I respect the sovernty of Djibouti and any attempts by Ethiopian or Somali imperialists to annex Djibouti is an act of colonialism. Ethiopia historically has had an isocilating boundry and some people go by that logic. So that means that south saudia arabia and sudan should be a part of ethiopia. No, thats not a valid idea.
Well I appreciate you do! Somalis are not anti-Ethiopian to the extent some like to think, after all we have more similarities than differences. I had the opportunity to go to Ethiopia, exposed to the culture ect... When you visit and interact with people, a lot of stereotypes fall. The solution to this long mistrust between our people could be more contact (besides of course, resolving political dispute and the Ogaden case).

And thanks for mentioning that (Djibouti soverainty), not many seem to understand how sacred it is to us.

·
Premium Member
30,812 Posts

The French and Germans regularly switched territory in the late 1900s and up to the world war. They killed each other for centuries and during WWII, Hitler took over Paris and kicked out the government and put a puppet government to do their bad deeds (Vichy France). It might be off, because it makes your war look like nothing in comparison!

I honestly hope that there are people in both of your countries who aren't as immature to keep a feud forever when there is no interest to do so, especially in the future when the animosity slows down.

·
Banned
16,927 Posts
It's not a question of maturity, but also a question of trust.

Even if we start using Assab again, we will never ever give a significant part of our trade to Eritrea. How can we trust them to not play games again?

Djibouti's ports are more convenient anyway, so I'm sure they'll remain the most important ports for us, specially since there is serious investment in creating and upgrading infrastructure there. Assab is dilapidated, not deep enough, bad roads linking it, no rail, plus you have to drive into desolate desert to get there and it's further away.

Ras Siyan, what do you mean "at least someone"? Ethiopians are well aware of what previous governments have done, we take issue though with the revised history Eritreans project in which they have been constant victims for eternity. That's patently untrue.

·
Surprisingly optimistic!
12,864 Posts
The French and Germans regularly switched territory in the late 1900s and up to the world war. They killed each other for centuries and during WWII, Hitler took over Paris and kicked out the government and put a puppet government to do their bad deeds (Vichy France). It might be off, because it makes your war look like nothing in comparison!
It does, but it's off largely because it's a unique situation, which I'd rather not go into here. This thread is not on my views on Eritrea, which I have clearly stated before.

But really, where is this coming from? If there is an increase in port use, where's the increase in production?

·
Recycle Bin
539 Posts
It's not a question of maturity, but also a question of trust.

Even if we start using Assab again, we will never ever give a significant part of our trade to Eritrea. How can we trust them to not play games again?

Djibouti's ports are more convenient anyway, so I'm sure they'll remain the most important ports for us, specially since there is serious investment in creating and upgrading infrastructure there. Assab is dilapidated, not deep enough, bad roads linking it, no rail, plus you have to drive into desolate desert to get there and it's further away.

Ras Siyan, what do you mean "at least someone"? Ethiopians are well aware of what previous governments have done, we take issue though with the revised history Eritreans project in which they have been constant victims for eternity. That's patently untrue.
this agree disgree with you.
http://www.tigraionline.com/articles/necessity-of-assab-port.html

·
"Structures don't lie" on
804 Posts
2 or three decades from now I expect relations between Eritrea and Ethiopia to normalise, I mean Taiwan and China have embarked on that road. Given the funny shape Ethiopia has, it will end up using a lot of ports in the region, from Lamu, Mogadishu, Berbera, Djibouti, Assab and Massawa. Tho. given the amount of investment that has gone into the Addis Djibouti corridor, this will be the main port

1 - 15 of 15 Posts