SkyscraperCity banner

1481 - 1489 of 1489 Posts

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Wasn't the main reason to build the new 2x2 stretch from Kose to Ardu (and in the future to Mäo) that the current stretch comprises 20% of the distance from Tallinn to Tartu, but 50% of all accidents happen on that stretch?
That is one of the factors which plays into the cost-benefit analysis, true. However, the Tallinn-Tartu 2x2 highway has also been probably the most popular political promise for the last two decades so its construction is still mostly politically motivated. My point wasn't that new 2x2 aren't necessary rathern than the existing 2x2 sections require some attention as well, especially when it comes to safety. AFAIK the 2x2 sections near Tallinn perform rather poorly when it comes to traffic safety.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Isn't it partly because of under funding of police and lack of highway patrols? Plus there's also some risk imposed by wild life movement in semi-urbanized areas adjacent to 2+2 sections.
I think it's more to do with substandard road design and high AADT. There are U-turns and left turns, lack of a proper pedestrian infrastructure, direct access from adjacent plots etc.

The situation is slowly improving but I think the busiest sections near Tallinn could use a complete overhaul, especially T2/E263.

·
7,836 Posts
I think it's more to do with substandard road design and high AADT. There are U-turns and left turns, lack of a proper pedestrian infrastructure, direct access from adjacent plots etc.

The situation is slowly improving but I think the busiest sections near Tallinn could use a complete overhaul, especially T2/E263.
Well,Tallinn metro area is atleast to some extent developing in that matter (like Kanama pedestrian tunnel built few years ago) even though there's chronical shortage of pedestrian tunnels and bridges,especially on sections built in Soviet era. Imho far worse are 2+2 sections in other counties like bus stops on T2/E20 between Tallinn and Rakvere. Same level unmarked crossings between bus stops on both sides of 2+2 😣

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Today a contract was signed for the construction of the Väo interchange between T1/E20 and T11/E265/Tallinn bypass. This is currently one of the busiest intersections in Estonia with an AADT of roughly 50,000. The design of the new interchange allows for free-flowing traffic on the T1/E20 in either direction via overpasses and for traffic going from T11/E265 to T1/E20. All other traffic will be routed via the roundabout at the lower level of the interchange. The traffic sheme can be viewed here. Construction will start in May this year, the deadline is end of 2021. The cost of the project is around 20 million with 85% funded by the EU.

Here's a video as well:

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
It has now been decided that that the new Kose-Mäo section on T2/E263 will have a maximum speed limit of 120 km/h but ultimately the speed limit will be dependent on road and weather conditions. Slower vehicles will also be banned on this road, a first in Estonia, although it isn't yet known whether they will use a motorway sign to indicate that (which they really should) or ban certain vehicles with separate signs like they do on Spanish autovias.

The high speed limit, relatively speaking, is a bit ironic, though, since this section will have one the narrowest cross-sections for a 2x2 road in Estonia so 120 km/h will definitely feel quite fast...and Estonians aren't used to driving fast :D

·
Naudotojas
Instagram: povilas_landscape
571 Posts
It has now been decided that that the new Kose-Mäo section on T2/E263 will have a maximum speed limit of 120 km/h but ultimately the speed limit will be dependent on road and weather conditions. Slower vehicles will also be banned on this road, a first in Estonia, although it isn't yet known whether they will use a motorway sign to indicate that (which they really should) or ban certain vehicles with separate signs like they do on Spanish autovias.

The high speed limit, relatively speaking, is a bit ironic, though, since this section will have one the narrowest cross-sections for a 2x2 road in Estonia so 120 km/h will definitely feel quite fast...and Estonians aren't used to driving fast :D
In Lithuania, there is reconstruction of A14 near Vilnius to 2x2, and the signs of 110 km/h were implemented. Additionally, signs for tractors and horse carriers were also implemented at entrance to this new road. There are no expressway or motorway signs, they are for 120 km/h and 130 km/h roads.

It's interesting if the similar case will be with this section in Estonia. Motorway signage would be also cool, but I heard that you can apply motorway signs only on 2x3 sections?

Kose-Mäo section would likely get expressway sign in Lithuania (120 km/h summer - 110 km/h winter), maybe with slight chances of having motorway sign (130 km/h summer - 110 km/h winter).

Btw, I would advocate for extention of 120 km/h section from Kose to Patika junction. From Patika to Tallinn, I see lots of infrastructure (U-turns, one-level pedestrian crossings) that look too substandard for motor road with 120 km/h (and current traffic levels).

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
It's interesting if the similar case will be with this section in Estonia. Motorway signage would be also cool, but I heard that you can apply motorway signs only on 2x3 sections?
[...]

Btw, I would advocate for extention of 120 km/h section from Kose to Patika junction. From Patika to Tallinn, I see lots of infrastructure (U-turns, one-level pedestrian crossings) that look too substandard for motor road with 120 km/h (and current traffic levels).
There is nothing legally that would stop putting a motorway sign up on the Kose-Mäo section. Even the previously strict design standards for motorways are now basically only advisory since standards from other countries like Finland or Sweden can be used as well (and have been used).

There is one useless U-turn just South of Patika but if they closed it and banned slow vehicles I would agree with the 120 km/h idea, especially if they use variable speed limit signs.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Yesterday a contract was signed to build a new 16 km 2x2 section on T2/E263 between Võõbu and Mäo. The construction will cost € 58.7 million, well below the initial estimate of € 70 million. Construction is expected to commence in July this year and end by late 2022. The route plan can be seen here: 1 and 2.

And a video (that has most likely been posted here a couple of times already):

After this project is completed roughly half of "Tallinn-Tartu highway" will be a dual carriageway. with the other half being a mixture of 1x2 and 2+1.

1481 - 1489 of 1489 Posts