SkyscraperCity Forum banner

ESTONIA | Urban Infrastructure & Public Transportation | Linnasisene infrastruktuur ja ühistransport

557702 Views 2547 Replies 141 Participants Last post by  Reigo313
Okay,this here is general thread for anything regarding urban infrastructure (i.e. bridges,roads,railways,tramways etc in urban enviroment - in cities & towns) and public transportation (trams,buses,trolleybuses etc. in another words -everything regarding PT)

For motorways,roads and bridges outside towns & cities,you can use Estonian Highways & Motorways thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=773706

For railway infrastructure outside towns & cities,you can use Rail Baltica thread (also includes railway & Rail Baltica development in Baltic states) : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=320660

Few months ago Tartu had competition for finding new design for urban buses. It should be put in use by spring 2011. Lauri Sarak won with this design:

Anyway,I like the idea of having common colour scheme for all buses (it's easier for tourists to locate buses ;)) You can see other competition entries here (.pdf file) : https://www.tartu.ee/data/Tartubuss150.pdf

..or you can use these links for separate views:
Design 2 by Lauri Sarak.
Design 3 by Lauri Sarak.
Design 4 by Keidi Rehe.
Design 5 by Liina Laan.
Design 6 by Liina Laan.
Design 7 by Ander Avila.
Design 8 by Timo Kahara.
Design 9 by Maarja Andla.
1341 - 1360 of 2548 Posts
Those new plans look great.. and there are fittingly brand new blue-white busses on the new 24/24A lines.
But still sad about the cutting of trolley services..
Vähemalt on parem/selgemini mõistetav,kui vanad sõiduplaanid. Vähemalt Kesklinnas on ka uued linnakaartid peatustesse tekkinud. Sama värvilahendusega ühistransporti promovad bussid on väga vinged. Estlander vist postitas ühe sellise bussi pildi siia kah. Ideaalis võiks selle värvilahenduse põhjal arendada uue kujunduse linnatranspordile,aga noh... :D Paljugi mida võiks ühistranspordi juures paremaks muuta.

There's no point in taking down the trees since the new pedestrian tunnel at Lillekula doesn't allow for any widening of the road. Besides it's already 3 lanes wide on most parts. More or wider lanes doesn't really seem necessary to me, Tehnika isn't that busy at all (but it might be if they renovate it and Filtri tee will be ready I guess).
Well,that's the problem. Atleast according to old plans it seems that they wanted to turn Tehnika street into major arterial road. Of course,it's possible to fit more cars onto current street width as only the middle of the street is in use (street sides have horrible holes :D). But as the traffic volume increases,it brings more problems. For example,I bet that field of view for traffic coming from side streets doesn't comply with whatever road construction standards currently in use. It's unlikely that every street corner gets traffic lights too,so inevitably trees will get the axe :(

:lol: Lol,just realized one positive aspect of Tehnika street and it's chestnut avenue - they can't fit any roundabouts there!
Photo update of Ülemiste road junction construction. Järvevana tee/Viadukti tn./Filtri tee access street. Should be officially opened in upcoming week.

View from Filtri tee. Quite large intersection in front of Military Cemetary. Street on the right is the new access road...

...which turns and runs parallel to Ülemiste-Kitseküla railways,before going under it to Järvevana tee.

Here's the view towards Järvevana tee. Left road is for traffic coming and right is for traffic going to Järvevana tee.

And finally,Viadukti street ramp,which connects to roundabout on previous photo. It's VERY narrow ramp. How will trucks fit there?
Btw,those fences next to railway are one of the highest I've seen in Tallinn (or in entire Estonia,for that matter). My guess is that they are about 2,5-3m high. Thankfully it's just short few hundred metres long section and rest of the tracks are still fence-less :D

Also,it seems to be extremely pedestrian hostile area. Okay,people might not need to walk around Järvevana tee,but Viadukti & Filtri street areas should have had proper sidewalks/light traffic roads. F*** this car-centric environment!
Ha, you'd be surprised :D

Check out this "brilliant" british invention

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout#Mini-roundabouts

I guess that this is quite probably illegal according to Est traffic regulations though :)
:lol: Lol,just realized one positive aspect of Tehnika street and it's chestnut avenue - they can't fit any roundabouts there!
I don't agree, I use several trolley lines every day mostly 3,4 and 9 and during the last 3 months there has been olny one time the trolley poles flew away. But trolley having superb acceleration compared to bus could recover the time being late. With this old infrastructure this is actually good result.

Trolley has so stay, they are faster, silent and don't pollute as much as buses. Of course buses have their own advantages, where the high frequency is not needed, buses are way to use.

Energy isn't created out of nothing, you can use smaller engines but then you get also slower buses etc.

What about tram yes Tondi line is slow if to compare to bus but every human who can think understands that it's not because of trams. Kopli tramline speed is quite okay.
Ostku siis säästlikud bussid.
Muidugi, olen roheline inimene, aga trollidega on kogu aeg jama.

Imelik, olen tulnud nr 3 trolliga ning tihti kas hilineb, või sarved maas. Lisaks, bussiga jõudsin linna lausa 10 min kiiremini kui trolliga.
Kuule, sealt tõesti pole mõtet seoseid otsida. Tegemist on väga tavalise sillatüübi esindajaga, mis selle õigupoolest igavaks teebki. Nii nähtavas asukohas oleks ikka ka arhitekte võinud kaasata, aga terves liiklussõlmes oleks nagu vaid standardkonstruktsioone kasutatud(juba varem valminud Suur-Sõjamäe tänava-Järvevana tee viadukt välja arvatud). Ka natukesest värvist oleks piisanud.
huvitav fakt: Ülemiste silla kuju meenutab Narva 'sõpruse' silla:
http://g2.nh.ee/images/pix/900x585/134e8ac/file64719022_da934b3b.jpg
ma ei mõelnudki muud seost kui tehnilinist. kahju et ei mõelnud ette, et leiub kes nii sensitiivne
Ega ma nüüd halvasti ei mõelnud.:? Ma reageerisin sellele, et just selle sillaga võrdlus tehti, Ülemiste sõlm on ju suurelt jaolt Keskerakonna saavutus. Vabandan, kui ebameeldiva mulje jätsin, internetis on sellega natuke raske...
just selle sillaga võrdlus - hiljuti (1 dets) oli uudistes, Narva promenadi ehituse kohta
Brits. :eek:hno: Thankfully our traffic planners haven't reached this level of madness....yet.

Seriously,I'd like to see some price comparisons of traffic light intersection vs. roundabout intersection. Is it really THAT much more expensive,if we exclude traffic lights operating costs?
What are the real benefits of roundabout? And more importantly - why,WHY those horrible things exist?!
Ha, you'd be surprised :D

Check out this "brilliant" british invention

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout#Mini-roundabouts

I guess that this is quite probably illegal according to Est traffic regulations though :)
Isn't one of the main arguments pro roundabouts that they don't stop traffic when there is no need for it? For example when there is a roundabout on an intersection of a main road and secondary road, then cars on the main road don't have to wait behind a red light when there is no traffic on the secondary road. Probably such a problem could be solved by pressure-sensitive plates on intersections which notify when there is traffic on the secondary road, but I don't know, how common that technology is.
Seriously,I'd like to see some price comparisons of traffic light intersection vs. roundabout intersection. Is it really THAT much more expensive,if we exclude traffic lights operating costs?
What are the real benefits of roundabout? And more importantly - why,WHY those horrible things exist?!
^^ Usually it's done by small cameras and it's actually pretty common. Unfortunately they are are often implemented in a terrible way like, for example, on Merivälja road where you often have to wait at every traffic light.
Yep. Because of them I standing on a red light almost every time, at the end (beginning?) of Laagna tee. I.e. at late evening, when nobody comes from Gonsiori, traffic light for those who proceed towards K. Türnpu, swithing to red anyway. You need to stop (from 80km/h) and wait for a few seconds.
Well, I'd prefer to see roundabout there much more than stupid traffic light...
Usually it's done by small cameras and it's actually pretty common.
Seriously, why should we exclude traffic lights operating costs?

I'm pro-roundabouts myself. The thing is, you should not get too carried away with 'em.
Pisut offtopic,aga Tallinna tänavaaugud on legendaarsed! :D Tõelised tegijad mis neelavad terveid veoautosid.

Allikas: http://www.tallinnapostimees.ee/1066466/veeavarii-tottu-suletud-toostuse-tanaval-vajus-lumesahk-labi-asfalti/
Even more offtopic...

What's that street? (Damn, can't... just can't read that bus stop sign!) I doubt I've ever seen it. Looks great, very consistent. :)
So, let me proudly present you the Good News. Tallinn Transport graphic design won European Design Management Grand Prix. Amen for that.

Big thanks to Disainiosakond OÜ

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
Ootmisasja tramm&buss ja troll hakkavad sellised välja nägema?:eek: väga viis !
1341 - 1360 of 2548 Posts