SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to Estonian Countryside thread!

In this thread anyone can add pictures of interesting places in Estonia.
Countryside = anything except Tallinn, Tartu, Pärnu or Narva
I actually hope that all pictures are made by ssc forumers, but if you find something veryvery cool from net then why not (just don´t forget to add credits then).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Last week I visited Vergi village. It is a cozy fisherman village in Lääne-Viru County, in northeastern Estonia (about 100 km from Tallinn). In winter its very quiet but in summer people come to their summerhouses and have a great time.

Village center/store

Not sure if joking or not :D Its funny because there are many finnish people own summerhouses there.

There was so many old beautiful houses and I just cant decide which ones to add here

Boathouses

Trees has grown around old Saab

Hope you like it :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Ah, Vergi... I had no idea they had opened up a new shop there. I remember when I was younger I used to buy snacks from the store that stood at the crossing of Võsu and Sadama road every summer but sadly it went bankrupt several years ago.
Anyway, good pics and thanks for showing!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Great photos from great place! Village looks very rich, I'm quite surprised that it's located in north-eastern Estonia which isn't the richest part of country, I'm right? What's the secret of this town's success?

·
i don't like skyscrapers
432 Posts
Great photos from great place! Village looks very rich, I'm quite surprised that it's located in north-eastern Estonia which isn't the richest part of country, I'm right? What's the secret of this town's success?
The seaside villages of Lahemaa national park have a lot of fancy (summer)houses for wealthy people as well as B&B's for tourists. Käsmu, Võsu and Vergi are such examples. Lahemaa has strict building regulations as well, so even the most modern houses look quite cosy and classic from afar.

I might post something here soon.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hmm I'll try to put some picture set together, but for now I can post these already:

Went to Hiiumaa (the second largest island of Estonia) yesterday. Hiiumaa is where a lot of Estonians have summer houses. Tourism from other nationalities is fairly low (some Finns of course and I saw a lot of Swedish yachts in Soru harbour.

I was visiting some friends who were there for a longer period, but since I only went for one day I went by plane. The route is subsidized, so the ticket costs 17 euros one-way. For that you get a 8-seater Piper plane with business-class like setting and big windows where you can see Estonia from 5-6000 feet (perfect altitude)

1. Business class like setting :)

2. Near Soru, the cows can take a fresh dip into the sea

3. All around Estonia you will find so-called "erratic boulders", meaning big stones. According to Kalevipoeg (son of Kalev) mythology, it was the stupid Kalevipoeg who got Estonia from his father Kalev in Finland and took Finnish rocks to build up the land. But because he was so clumsy, he dropped a lot of stones everywhere. According to the legend, he also build Toompea in Tallinn.
But in fact, the reason is that the stones were in the icelayer during the ice-age and stayed behind on the land when the ice retracted.
This one is called Kopu Suurkivi ("Big stone of Kopu")

4. I told my friends to pick some berries :p. So far there were only a few blueberries though, it's not really the proper season yet

5. Last Saturday I went to Schilling music festival in Kilingi-Nomme, which is in between Parnu and Viljandi, about 150km drive from Tallinn. Nice secondary stage :)

6. Technically, this is still in the city of Tallinn (Nomme district). It's a "opperada" (learning trail) which you can find in most Estonian villages and are used to teach school children nature values. Picture is from April I think

And some older pictures I found from my phone from Kasmu in Lahemaa

And this is what Kalamaja Kalmistupark (in Tallinn) looked like in April

·
Skybar Mod
24,272 Posts
This might be a dumb question but is the water temperature of the sea warm enough to swim in the summertime in Estonia?

·
Registered
769 Posts
It depends on how "brave" you are. It usually does't go over 18 degrees.

It also depends a lot on the beach. Most beaches are located inside a bay, which means that the sea is very shallow, the water doesn't move a lot and thus the water heats up fast. But if you want warm water, you should go to one of the many lakes ;).

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
The current water temperature in Pärnu beach is 20C, for example, not too bad, whereas in Pirita beach in Tallinn it's only 15C. So as Wover mentioned, it really depends on the location, winds etc.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Muraste

Now I am going to show you area where I live. Its called Muraste. There is nothing interesting inside this windy village (New development where every single house is built different way). So I better show you more nature and coastline...

Muraste platform. about 25m high. Favorite place to youngsters who take their parents car and go there to drink with their friends. They listen Dubstep (wubwubwub one) with shitty car stereo and then they pee, throw empty bottles, puke, scream and cry on platform. And when they leave they drive 90km/h in yard area. What a nice place... :)

view from platform.

Lohusalu harbour and Paldiski windmills.

Suurupi lower lighthouse. Its the oldest wooden lighthouse in Estonia. looks mysterious and creepy somehow.

Hundreds of meters of icewalls every winter/spring

Very private Muraste beach.

·
Resurrected User
706 Posts
Good idea for a thread here! :)

Didn't know punamulta/Falu red has reached Estonia as well. Thought it's a Sweden & Finland (and probably Norway) thing. From what I've seen from train windows, Estonian countryside appears actually more German than Nordic in terms of farm architecture, villagescapes, etc.

Anyway, darn I love this photo:

The moon, the stones, Teletorn lights... :drool:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^ "Swedish red" as we call it here. Its getting more and more popular everyday. after yellow and grey I think its third one in popularity. Grandparents house ,previous home in southern Estonia and current home are also red with white windows:D Thats kinda family thing.

·
8,846 Posts
Great thread,sanderk! :)

Btw,I can join the bandwagon here,as my parents summer cottage is also painted in original "Swedish Red" :D

Few early spring photos taken in North-western Estonia.

Solitary watchtower on Klooga beach.

Treppoja stream.

Keila waterfall (and no,it ain't located in Keila town ;)).

·

409 Posts
****, I miss Lahemaa and it's kittens so much!
I used to be there for 3-5 times during a summer for 8 years in row, and now I haven't been there for 6 years. Devastating, I need a sip of wine..

·
Ööinimene
303 Posts
This is such an awesome thread!
Didn't know punamulta/Falu red has reached Estonia as well.
The "Rootsi stiilis majad" (Swedish style houses) have always been very popular here (my grandparents live in one as well). Although you can see them all over Estonia the most common place is the Noarootsi/Nuckö parish where the Swedish influence has been the strongest.

(pic taken at Roosta)
And along with the houses you can even see bilingual signs.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts