Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Although i'm not denying the fact that extreme poverty does exists in Ethiopia, their are a lot more countries that are in extremely worse conditions than Ethiopia. Like Somalia when obviously they are the once who take refuge in Ethiopia and Kenya during a drought.

And the Afar region is ranked the poorest region in Ethiopia. :wierd:

I will look at this more when I return home but

Clearly something missing...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
for the west, Africa will always be the damn poorest place on earth...
F*** them and their so-called scientifically proven studies.
they are enjoying seeing poverty all over the world, that's give them confidence: when they see their neighbour in harsh conditions, it makes them feel better....and more powerful : propaganda. we will never hear any good news from their media.
information is a powerful weapon.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you actually believe the double digit growth BS? I dont see it translated on Ordinary Ethiopians' living standard. In fact living standards are deteriorating. Only few oligarchs with connection to the ruling party enjoy a lavish life style. Whatever gains the country achieved in health care and rural poverty is because of the massive money thrown at it from western governments and institutions like Gates foundation and presidents fund imo. The construction is Chinese money and few wealthy Ethiopians trying to cash in on AU related conference tourism.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for the west, Africa will always be the damn poorest place on earth...
F*** them and their so-called scientifically proven studies.
they are enjoying seeing poverty all over the world, that's give them confidence: when they see their neighbour in harsh conditions, it makes them feel better....and more powerful : propaganda. we will never hear any good news from their media.
information is a powerful weapon.
So you quote western sources if it supports ur view and disregard it as conspiracy if it bursts your bubble. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
We are the worlds 2nd poorest according to a set of criteria by Oxford University.

http://horntribune.com/oxford-university-ethiopia-named-worlds-second-poorest-country/

what the hell is that, birtukan mideksa, meles zenawi,, and the article is still dated for the 17 june 2014:eek:hno:,,,another horn African news website,,, Sunta Sunte ,,,so what Oxford university put us second from the last, Oxford dictionary has also put famine and Ethiopia as synonymous ,,,not even the most extreme opposition party will claim that Ethiopian economy is not growing now.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^ yeah the scientists at Oxford have probably been alarmed by out meteoric rise to a rival world power brought about by the vision of the late prime monster and they are trying to hold us back by waging propaganda war :picard:

·
Registered
949 Posts
We are the worlds 2nd poorest according to a set of criteria by Oxford University.

http://horntribune.com/oxford-university-ethiopia-named-worlds-second-poorest-country/
እንዴት ሆኖ ነው የውጪ ምዕራባዊ ሃገር እትም ምን ደረጃ ላይ እንዳለን የሚነግረንና የምናምነው:: በበኩሌ ከም'ዕራብ አካባቢ የሚፈልቅ ዜናም ሆነ ጥናታዊ ፅሁፍ ማንበብ አቁሚያለሁ, ባነብም ለ'እቅውቀት ሳይሆን ለትዝብት ነው:: አንዱንም አላምነውም: አንድም!

ቲቪ የሚባል ነገር ማየት ካቆምኩ ያለማጋነን - 10 ዓመታት ተቆጥረዋል::

Reactions: FKebede

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
እንዴት ሆኖ ነው የውጪ ምዕራባዊ ሃገር እትም ምን ደረጃ ላይ እንዳለን የሚነግረንና የምናምነው:: በበኩሌ ከም'ዕራብ አካባቢ የሚፈልቅ ዜናም ሆነ ጥናታዊ ፅሁፍ ማንበብ አቁሚያለሁ, ባነብም ለ'እቅውቀት ሳይሆን ለትዝብት ነው:: አንዱንም አላምነውም: አንድም!

ቲቪ የሚባል ነገር ማየት ካቆምኩ ያለማጋነን - 10 ዓመታት ተቆጥረዋል::
ማነዉ ያንተ መረጃ ምንጭ? ኢቲቪ እንዳትለኝ ብቻ

·
Resident Guru
3,262 Posts
what the hell is that, birtukan mideksa, meles zenawi,, and the article is still dated for the 17 june 2014:eek:hno:,,,another horn African news website,,, Sunta Sunte ,,,so what Oxford university put us second from the last, Oxford dictionary has also put famine and Ethiopia as synonymous ,,,not even the most extreme opposition party will claim that Ethiopian economy is not growing now.
The ridiculous claim of this thread bested only by the ridiculousness of this response. Oxford has done no such thing. You can't seem to help pulling BS out of your ass and publicly proclaiming it as fact. Do you never feel any shame?

As for the report itself (which is based on a relatively new metric called the Multidimensional Poverty Index), despite the date stamp on the article, it is not recent. It is dated and can no longer be considered accurate. What is important to look at isn't so much where Ethiopia is currently relative to other countries but where it is headed. Trends provide context, snapshots do not. My suspicion is that for all its ills, Ethiopia is on a positive developmental trajectory, and so any statistical measure which looks at trends is likely to confirm this.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The ridiculous claim of this thread bested only by the ridiculousness of this response. Oxford has done no such thing. You can't seem to help pulling BS out of your ass and publicly proclaiming it as fact. Do you never feel any shame?

As for the report itself (which is based on a relatively new metric called the Multidimensional Poverty Index), despite the date stamp on the article, it is not recent. It is dated and can no longer be considered accurate. What is important to look at isn't so much where Ethiopia is currently relative to other countries but where it is headed. Trends provide context, snapshots do not. My suspicion is that for all its ills, Ethiopia is on a positive developmental trajectory, and so any statistical measure which looks at trends is likely to confirm this.
Dude have you actually seen the report. Its dated 2014. The only ridicoulous thing is destitution is getting worse while TPLF spin doctors proclain decade long solid economic growth. Check out the report..
http://www.ophi.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Global-MPI-2014-an-overview.pdf?0a8fd7

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Dude have you actually seen the report. Its dated 2014. The only ridicoulous thing is destitution is getting worse while TPLF spin doctors proclain decade long solid economic growth. Check out the report..
http://www.ophi.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Global-MPI-2014-an-overview.pdf?0a8fd7
Have you yourself read the report? I don't think so. You were so eager to report bad news on Ethiopia, you've posted something you barely understand. The MPI for Ethiopia is based on data from 2005, which basically makes it obsolete (in Ethiopia's case). How about you try being fair? There are both bad and good in Ethiopia, but recently the good outweigh the bad. There's a mountain of positive data on Ethiopia if you care to look.

·
Resident Guru
3,262 Posts
Interesting. Then I guess I stand corrected about the datedness of the report. It looks identical to the report published last year and the year before, hence why I assumed it was.

That said, perhaps you should have read report you referenced yourself as it basically validates everything else I said. It is trends that matter. And as far as trends go, Ethiopia is ahead of the pack:

The largest absolute reduction in the destitution MPI was seen in Ethiopia, followed by Niger, Ghana, Bolivia, Rwanda, Tanzania, Nepal, Haiti, Bangladesh and Zambia – all of them LICS or Least Developed Countries except Ghana and Bolivia.8
Absolute reductions in the intensity of MPI poverty – the average share of deprivations poor people experience at once - were strongest in Rwanda, Ethiopia, Nepal, Bolivia, Niger, Tanzania, Cambodia and Ghana. These countries made most progress in ensuring their ongoing poor people are ‘less poor’, by reducing the number of hardships they experience.

·
Resident Guru
3,262 Posts
Have you yourself read the report? I don't think so. You were so eager to report bad news on Ethiopia, you've posted something you barely understand. The MPI for Ethiopia is based on data from 2005, which basically makes it obsolete (in Ethiopia's case). How about you try being fair? There are both bad and good in Ethiopia, but recently the good outweigh the bad. There's a mountain of positive data on Ethiopia if you care to look.
I don't think so. I don't see anywhere in the data that suggests that it is all from 2005.

Otherwise, this wouldn't make sense:

• Ethiopia reduced the percentage of destitute people 30 percentage points from 2000-2011

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Dude, This forum has 1000x the knowledge of this so called "Oxfaaad" study. Who cares about arbitrary rankings complied by foreigners who probably never even been to Ethiopia. Ethiopia is moving forward regardless of political orientation.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The verdict remains the country touted as ''the regional power'' ''economic lioness'' and soon to be mid income Ethiopia is poorer than Somalia and Central African republic which are in a deep deep mess. If you consider that progress enough, so be it. I rest my case.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Progress means improvement. There is improvement, therefore there is progress. The end.

:dunno:

Nobody claimed Ethiopia has developed or is richer than [insert whatever country].

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
So you quote western sources if it supports ur view and disregard it as conspiracy if it bursts your bubble. :eek:hno:

no man,

all these so called studies are ridiculous. I can find hundreds of "university researches" that put Africa either on the rise and on the fall.
some say africa is on the rise, other say africa is collapsing.

do we need to put on consideration their damn studies ?
this is a propaganda. a lethal weapon of misinformation.
they did the same thing for china in the 70's.
we need to ignore them and keep working hard with the BRIC nations and the South.

Get rid off their garbage speech. we already know that Africa is facing serious challenges. it is up to us to move on.
they pulled us down into a sitting position, interfered into our affairs, messed up our local politics, financed local militias, corrupted businesses.
then they grabbed a knife out of home to let us down.

I think african seriously lack of self confidence. we always keep an eye toward the west. We are not able to strenghten great ties with our neigbours and build powerful relationship across the continent.

please tear all these messages down and focus on our priority.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts