SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,728 Posts
We are the worlds 2nd poorest according to a set of criteria by Oxford University.

http://horntribune.com/oxford-university-ethiopia-named-worlds-second-poorest-country/

what the hell is that, birtukan mideksa, meles zenawi,, and the article is still dated for the 17 june 2014:eek:hno:,,,another horn African news website,,, Sunta Sunte ,,,so what Oxford university put us second from the last, Oxford dictionary has also put famine and Ethiopia as synonymous ,,,not even the most extreme opposition party will claim that Ethiopian economy is not growing now.

· Registered
4,728 Posts
The ridiculous claim of this thread bested only by the ridiculousness of this response. Oxford has done no such thing. You can't seem to help pulling BS out of your ass and publicly proclaiming it as fact. Do you never feel any shame?
Oxford did do that may be not on their latest editions but on one of their older editions, I remember seeing it on an actual TV documentary about the same topic, but any way it never bothered me, I just mentioned it in my reply to Sunta Sunte, because he quoted some outdated Oxford poverty index to prove his low opinion about Ethiopia's achievement. My point was, ''So what Oxford or any other university write whatever they like about Ethiopia, have we got no brains to see and judge for ourselves, about where we were and where we are now, that we have to relay on some undergraduate essays and researches about us, by people who never been to our country and only know about us from hearsay ''

· Registered
4,728 Posts
You've gotten to quoting Alemayehu Gebremariam? I mean I agree we need a more critical view of things but that's... a bit much, don't you think?

Privatise, liberalise, and encourage. Privatise the banks, the various enterprises, the airline, partially, privatise land ownership. Liberalise the financial sector, the telecoms industry, foreign retail. Regulate the real estate industry to increase quality and encourage private development of low-cost housing. Encourage investors, armed with new capital from banks freed from the 27% deposit requirement and the 40/60 rule, in addition to a few foreign competitors, to invest in a range of areas, including agriculture and manufacturing. Encourage the expanded banks to look at programs like M-PESA to facilitate rural savings, and lend to farmers. Get urban businessmen to invest in cottage industries for adding value and easing pressure on land (people will have to work in these factories, and therefore not farm). Build a few less dams and motorways and invest in rural road networks and local generation projects to electrify the regions.
what you suggested is not new, this is what almost all so called 'third world' African, Latin american or Asian country practice, and none of them are growing like us,,, yes we can create many millionaires who can afford to go shopping in Milan, Paris and London etc,,, who can buy real estate property in Europe or America, but our people, to the most part will be left with scraps,,,we can only ensure a fair distribution of wealth ,if the state remain a major stake holder in our economy, because only the state can represent the interest of the working men and women,,

In fact, we are only achieving this levels of growth because we have a state led economy. In my opinion, opening up our economy liberally, even if we should open up, at the current stage of our economic development , is like someone who is still a beginner, fly weight amateur, going into a boxing ring against a professional heavy weight boxer.

You know the global economy is a world of competition with 'dog eat dog mentality', why go into a competition when you are certain that you are going to loose, it would be fine if we will just loose money, but in this regard we are not just loosing money , we are going to loose our economic and political sovereignty, we will be a de facto colony, we will just be free in name and on paper only, but in truth we will be economically partitioned and owned by the giant western corporate's, and the nations they belong to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.