Details

Developer: Watkin Jones Group
Architect: Studio One Architects
Proposal date: 2007
Approval: 2007
Demolition start: 2007
Construction start: 2008
Completion date: Around 2010
Usage: Student accommodation and retail (inc. leisure and a dance studio)
Number of beds: 596
Retail space: 721m²​

Word is that demolition has begun. :happy:

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Thanks for starting up the thread Erebus.

I wonder if that pic is deliberately grey to make the public yearn for a splash of colour (yellow);even the cycle path has lost its geen.It goes well with the double yellow lines too.

I quite like it.:)

·
Yep
3,814 Posts
Yep, cheers for the thread Erebus. See how much better the thread title is as well - informative yet concise ;)

I have no idea how this will end up looking. It could be great, equally it could prove to be bloody horrendous!

So where is it?

This is the building under demo, right?

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^Yup, I think that's the one. I really have mixed feelings about this. There is a similar scheme that has recently been completed in Manchester and although it isn't the shade of yellow that this is, it is still incredibly shit. I really hope this doesn't turn out that way.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Nah, I don't like it.
It probably doesn't help that this reminds me too much of the inward-facing (rear) of Orion. Lots of horizontal and vertical lines, rectangular patches and small windows. If it wasn't for the bright yellow walls it would look like a prison.
(Maybe that's deliberate? ... remind those students that uni life is about hard graft :) )
I know it's only student accommodation but this is so uninspiring. Even the levitating bus doesn't excite me.
I'd have preferred just a little more shape. Maybe a section cut-away into the north-west corner of the building that produces an over-hang where the main entrance could be - mimicking the grand entrance to MBC.

·
Registered Abuser
7,207 Posts
I think its horrible, I dont want this to get built.

·
SSC Geek
2,795 Posts
Hmmm. This one gets a definate hmmm. I think it's hard to work out exactly how this will work from the renders, we'll just have to wait and see, which is a bit risky.

·
Yep
3,814 Posts
It's the combo of yellow and grey which is most perplexing. Why would anyone want to do that? It might work on, oh say.. a mountain bike frame or a magazine title, but on a 13 storey building? That might well be destined to be shite.

·
Simples
6,661 Posts
At least the renders are in daylight!!!
[pedantic]Technically this doesn't count as a render as it doesn't include texture, lighting and shading. The glossy images we usually see for buildings, they are renders, this is just a diagram or 3d model[/pedantic]

I would like to see a proper render to get a real impression of how this will turn out, i'm not too hopeful though.

·
Change is Here!
4,082 Posts
Etna House. Yellow. Is the yellow supposed to represent fire coming out of a volcano (Mt. Etna?) or something? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 731 Posts