SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I managed to get up Eureka today for the skydeck's family and friends day. It was sort of a practise run through all of the systems before the official opening on Tuesday. Thanks to Katrina for the invite!

They've setup this really neat computer system in the lobby. It's a giant touch screen, you click on bubbles floating around and that brings up a window with various information. It's very cool

Up on the deck now. Unfortunately for the first hour or so it was a total white out. So I spent most of the time taking photos of the inside. This is where you buy tickets for The Edge.

This is looking out of the overhanging section of the building. To the right of the previous photo.

The building is such an unusual shape combined with the whacky(awesome) architecture and sloping floors it somehow made the white out even more eerie. This is the front of the building.

The main open area to the front of the deck. The things on the roof line up north south. North is to the left in this photo.

The tiny little cafe on the eastern side.

The fog starting to clear.

The Edge. As it comes out of the building the glass is foggy, it shakes and sounds of things *breaking* comes out of some little speakers.

Suddenly with a crash, the windows become clear and you're totally surrounded by glass. It's pretty fancy. Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to take my camera on the ride.

By now the fog had cleared.

And I could look down on Rialto.

Unlike Rialto, reflections are a huge problem for photos.

And the mesh in the open air is just too small to fit my camera lens through.

The open air section is great though. Well worth the ugly quarter level with no glass.

A shadow of a colossus

The different colours of the glass are very noticeable.

And the blue is very blue. Surprisingly this is the gold glass.

But holy shit the architecture is awesome.

Really awesome.

So, very, awesome.

...I guess my point is that the architecture is good.

The thing in the left of the previous photo is viewpiece to various landmarks. This one points at the aquatic center.

This one at crown.

These lines on the floor line up with the viewpieces. Some of them are actually in floor displays. Others trigger sound events if stepped on.

I was on the deck from 10am till nearly 1pm. But eventually I had to leave. I did meet Jimeoin in the lift though!

So what did I think? Well it's really amazing up there and as a tourist destination it's an absolute must. And in that respect its infinitely better than Rialto and an amazing showpiece of what Melburnians can do. It's stunning. But as a photographer it....sucks as a platform to take photos from. It's an amazing place to take photos of, but it all goes down hill as soon as you point the camera out a window.

Still, it's fantastic.

·
Registered
89,956 Posts
thanks dan. pity the observation level is no good for photos? is it big up there? doesnt look it? i thought the cafe might have been bigger? the cube looks intresting and outdoor zone.
thanks for tour

·
Registered Abuser
3,797 Posts
Wow excellent work! :applause: Looks like some sort of freaky deaky space ship thingy mabob! Does it have laser beams? :dance:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
great work, the corner shot with the widey looking down is a classic

dunno about the cube ride, novelty will wear off i reckon
doubt they'll be charging for it in a year

bring on the mast and open air photography 330m up i say ;)

my turn next week, doing eureka and then q1 the next day

·
All the way with PJK
1,632 Posts
Whoah, I love the interiors. Very sleek, sharp and angular.

Thanks uewepuep for this tour, very much appreciated! Wish i could get down there again but not for a while yet, so good to see some great photos of it. Next time you're there though, bring some wire clippers so you can fit your lens through in the outside section :)

Can you see the red throbbers from the top of Eureka?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks dan. pity the observation level is no good for photos? is it big up there? doesnt look it? i thought the cafe might have been bigger? the cube looks intresting and outdoor zone.
thanks for tour
I couldn't possibly say it was small, I mean its the size of what, 4 apartments? It's just strangely laid out, one big room, a circular hallway and all these little corners to stand in and enjoy the view. It works, but I see them changing things around the cafe sooner rather than later. It's practically in the smallest space up there.

The ride is awesome. As if standing on a sheet of glass 280m in the air wasn't scary enough they made it shake(slightly) and make breaking noises.

Does it have laser beams?
I know you're expecting me to say no. But yes, yes it does.

eh, Meataew's (sp? :lol: ) had a haircut ;)
Yep. For everyone else... Pete, my mate is in like half the photos. He's the bloke in the black jacket.

Can you see the red throbbers from the top of Eureka?
I SAW THEM FROM EVERYWHERES THEY ARE BRIGHT

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey thanks for the photos! Fantastic! its finally going to open and I have to be in Canadia, can't wait to get up there. I love the angles and the open deck. My knowledge on these things is limited but was wondering if it were possible to treat glass to minimize reflectivity?

·
Registered
859 Posts
thanks dan.[PRAISE] pity the observation level is no good for photos? [SUPPOSITION]is it big up there? doesnt look it? [CRITICISM]i thought the cafe might have been bigger?[CRITICISM] the cube looks intresting and outdoor zone.[MILD INTEREST]
thanks for tour[PRAISE]
Cul, when was the last time you were in Melbourne?

Was it today or last week?

Cheers,

Adam

·
Registered
298 Posts
geez can any1 not from melbourne post anything and not get attacked, Culwulla was simply stating wat he saw from the photos. Because there is a thing called tone lacking from any sort of written communication then im guessing it can be taken both ways, but u dont always have to take it in the negative.
Anywho the deck looks cool, yeah it does look a lil small, but im sure that its sufficently large enough, probably just the triangular spaces that make it look smaller, also im sure when i visit it will appear larger. Loving the cube, looks like a fun lil ride. However im highly disapointed by the cafe... wtf... is this not one of the tallest buildings, if not the tallest residential, and also in melbourne! shouldnt they have a nice cafe up there not some shitty takeaway thing, really lowers the standard of the ob deck. However im sure some1 will change it in the future

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.