SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 470 Posts

·
Developer
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Place your bets... where,when and how high?

Thursday May 25, 04:36 PM
Melbourne's tallest building completed

The man behind the construction of what is claimed as the world's tallest residential building says he would love to give Australia an even higher apartment complex.

Daniel Grollo, whose family company, Grocon Pty Ltd, built Melbourne's $500 million Eureka Tower at Southbank, inspected the dismantling of the crane on top of the building, which signalled the end of the five-year project.

"The building is finished," Mr Grollo said.

"The cranes are almost off and really the only components of work that are still being carried out are small fit-outs internally in some of the apartments."

The first residents moved into the lower floors of the building in November 2004.

Mr Grollo said that technically Eureka Tower was the world's tallest residential building standing 300 metres and 92 storeys.

The only other residential building which could claim to be taller is the Q1 Tower on the Gold Coast, at 322.5 metres including its communications mast. But it has only 78 floors.

The Rialto office tower, which was completed by Grocon in 1986, held the title of Melbourne's tallest building until November 2004 when it was overtaken by the Eureka Tower.

"The reality is that in Dubai they are building buildings twice as high as Eureka, so even if you have got the tallest building in the world (the title) wouldn't last long," Mr Grollo said.

However, he said his company was still considering adding a communications mast to the roof if planning was approved.

"There is a chance we'll put up a mast to make it a little bit bigger," he said.

"There's a few issues we've got to work through, obviously planning issues and the economic issues of putting it up.

"One of the concepts we are looking at with the aerial is potentially to have people be able to walk out there in the right weather conditions."

Mr Grollo said he had not ruled out building another residential skyscraper in Melbourne which would be even taller.

"We'd love to build another building here in Melbourne that's taller than this and I think in time that will happen," he said.

Levels 82 to 87, which are penthouses that span the entire floor and give 360 degree views, are being sold for between $7 and $8 million.

Floor 88 is an observation deck and floor 89 is a convention centre, while the floors above hold the buildings utility services such as air conditioning units and water tanks.

Mr Grollo said 85 per cent of the apartments had been sold.

·
Developer
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe it will be Grollo Tower II or Daniel Grollo Tower???

·
Registered
76,947 Posts
tell him is dreamin. first Q2 & now E2, what about WT2?? lol

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
You boys wanna challenge the coast again, bring it on bitches!:p

Seriously though, maybe Grollo could build it in Brisbane, good market for it, and since Sunland is building stuff in Victoria Grollo should return the favour;)

·
Developer
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grollo is already going to build the tallest tower in Brisbane, it's called Vision. We are also still waiting for a real supertall proposal in SEQ with a roof over 290m :)

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Lol, Vision doesn't count, I'm talking developing! Don't worry we working on that roof thing, sooner or later we are gonna get ya!:p

·
I Can Be Blunt!!
315 Posts
Locke said:
You boys wanna challenge the coast again, bring it on bitches!:p

Seriously though, maybe Grollo could build it in Brisbane, good market for it, and since Sunland is building stuff in Victoria Grollo should return the favour;)
Yea, but Sunland builds 'crap' compared to Grollo, so Victoria would prefer that they (Sunland) stay in QLD and continue to build the shit that they errect on the coast!!

·
I Can Be Blunt!!
315 Posts
Locke said:
Lol, Vision doesn't count, I'm talking developing! Don't worry we working on that roof thing, sooner or later we are gonna get ya!:p
**** me Locke, a comment for everything!!!

Your the first to complain when other interstate forumers hijack other interstate threads (namely QLD threads) and that's exactly what you are doing now - hypocrite.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Richo, me and Grollo are engaging in some good humoured friendly intercity E2 v Q2 rivalry which I don't take personally and I'm sure he doesn't either. Stop being so sensitive about everything, we are joking about in case you can't tell!

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
When Daniel said he would like to build an even taller building in Melbourne I reckon that we have to realise a few facts first. Sure a huge project starting now would give work for their men after Eureka, QV, and the MCG. Major office corporations are going for campus style buildings ( eg. Nat. Aust. Docklands ) and why would anyone announce a taller apartment complex let alone Grollo while the Eureka is still not 100% sold. Rialto was built in the 80's so I wouldn't hold my breath for a new record height tower in Melbourne for a while. I hope I am wrong!

·
I Can Be Blunt!!
315 Posts
Locke said:
Richo, me and Grollo are engaging in some good humoured friendly intercity E2 v Q2 rivalry which I don't take personally and I'm sure he doesn't either. Stop being so sensitive about everything, we are joking about in case you can't tell!
LOL

·
Agent of Change
7,011 Posts
redbaron_012 said:
When Daniel said he would like to build an even taller building in Melbourne I reckon that we have to realise a few facts first. Sure a huge project starting now would give work for their men after Eureka, QV, and the MCG. Major office corporations are going for campus style buildings ( eg. Nat. Aust. Docklands ) and why would anyone announce a taller apartment complex let alone Grollo while the Eureka is still not 100% sold. Rialto was built in the 80's so I wouldn't hold my breath for a new record height tower in Melbourne for a while. I hope I am wrong!
Mixed use; Office, hotel, resi is the most likely scenario. Doubt we'll see an all resi or all office tower taller than Eureka in Melbourne.

·
Registered
712 Posts
yeah i could see demand for hotel/office space going up....

it would be nice to attract some big IT/tech players to digital harbour, and give that name some meaning too :)

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
shrewd.user said:
it would be nice to attract some big IT/tech players to digital harbour,
Yeah, the main signage down that way belongs to our beloved telco monopolist.
shrewd.user said:
and give that name some meaning too :)
<cough> stone-age broadband <cough>

·
Registered
76,947 Posts
redbaron_012 said:
i concur, DanielGrol said he would "like" to build an even taller tower. we all want to build taller towers. Eureka is a once a decade buiilding, just like World tower was in sydney.gee 300m buildings dont come along one after each other. Ive chatted to a MCC planner recently trying to extract any hint or goss on "eureka" size bldgs planned or early stages for melb and he laughed.no he said.
Ill be happy with Eureka for a few years yet.Lucky brisbane is getting Vision and GC are getting some more biggies. not sure when poor ole sydney will get a 200m+ scraper. could be 10 years.
oh the pain the pain.

·
Developer
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Locke said:
Eureka II Vs Q2, this time it's personal Locke! :)

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
From reading the article i had the feeling that he would "LIKE" to build a taller building in the "FUTURE"...dont get scared people I am sure it will happen in the "FUTURE" Melbourne has an abundance of sites compared to other cities.

·
25,791 Posts
Sydney boomed when 200-250 metre towers were tall (not mentioning height limit) whereas Melbourne, Brisbane, the GC and Perth are booming when 300-400 metre towers are tall.

Watch the skies in these cities!!

·
Go Ahead.....Make My Day!
5,460 Posts
i betya any money melbourne gets a tower taller than eureka within the next 10 years ! ( thats to the roof )

we don't cheat in melbourne like other cities do ! :rant:

Lozza :toilet:

1 - 20 of 470 Posts