SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I think classic theaters and operas are some of the beautyful buildings in the cities, so I think we can share someones... (I'm a newcomer in this forum and in the "architecture world" so I want to learn a lot :p)
I begin: The "Opéra national de Paris/Opéra Garnier La Madeleine" in Paris, one of the most known ones...

P.S.: Sorry for my bad English, I'm Spanish :p

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
The Opera in Paris is one good looking Opera house. That's for sure. More so than the Staatsoper in Vienna which is nice as well however and also among the top opera houses in the world.

The Burgtheater on the other side is one of the top German speaking theatres:

If you think you've see that design already once, the Burgtheater was inspired by the opera in Dresden:

(Pictures from wikipedia)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
national theater in belgrade

the oldest, original look

first reconstruction with side tower added

the look from 50ies to 80ies

present look

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
^^ Campos Elíseos and Champs-Élysées both mean Elysian Fields from [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elysium"]Greek mythology[/URL]

Theatres from Athens, Greece.

Greek National theatre

Pallas theatre Athens in unique 'greco-deco' style in an art deco building from the 1930s.

Pallas theatre is part of this extensive austere 'deco' building from the 30s in central Athens.

Municipal theatre of Piraeus, the port of Athens

And finally the once grand Athens Municipal theatre, sadly demolished after WWI.

Theatre Municipal Athenes (demolishing) by chatzoudis, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Croatian National Theatre in Zagreb

The Croatian National Theatre in Zagreb (Croatian: Hrvatsko narodno kazalište u Zagrebu), commonly referred to as HNK Zagreb, is a theatre, opera and ballet house located in Zagreb, owned and operated by the Ministry of Culture.

The theatre evolved out of the first city theatre built in 1836 housed in the present-day Old City Hall. The theatre was first established as the Croatian National Theatre in 1860, and in 1861 it gained government support putting it on par with many other European national theatres. In 1870 an opera company was added to the theatre and in 1895 it moved to the new purpose-built building on Marshal Tito Square in Zagreb's Lower Town, where it is based today.

by me

·
Registered
284 Posts
Croatian National Theatre in Zagreb

The Croatian National Theatre in Zagreb (Croatian: Hrvatsko narodno kazalište u Zagrebu), commonly referred to as HNK Zagreb, is a theatre, opera and ballet house located in Zagreb, owned and operated by the Ministry of Culture.

The theatre evolved out of the first city theatre built in 1836 housed in the present-day Old City Hall. The theatre was first established as the Croatian National Theatre in 1860, and in 1861 it gained government support putting it on par with many other European national theatres. In 1870 an opera company was added to the theatre and in 1895 it moved to the new purpose-built building on Marshal Tito Square in Zagreb's Lower Town, where it is based today.

by me
Juliusz Słowacki Theatre in Cracow, Poland

·
Registered
284 Posts
the Grand Theatre—National Opera in Warsaw

During the 1939 battle of Warsaw, the Grand Theatre was bombed and almost completely destroyed, with only the classical façade surviving. During the Warsaw Uprising of 1944 the Germans shot civilians in the burnt-out ruins.
Restored theatre was opened to the public on November 19, 1965, it was one of the most imposing and best-equipped state-of-the-art theatres in Europe. Polish National Opera was the largest theatre in the world.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts