SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
planquadrat
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will post all pictures to the relevant threads later but I guess it's not a problem if I'll put the entire journey into a single thread at first.

Quick facts about the trip:

• Distance: about 2160km
  • Time: 29 hours (including 9 hour stopeover to sleep)
  • Crew: bleetz (driver), Pansori (passenger, photographer)
  • Countries and roads:
    - UK (M25, M26, M20, A20)
    - France (A16/E40)
    - Belgium (E40, E17, E34)
    - Netherlands (A67)
    - Germany (A40, A2, A12)
    - Poland (A2, S8, A16)
    - Lithuania (A4... but it was too dark to take pictures)
Map (note, we didn't use the Eurotunnel, but a ferry from Dover to Dunkerque)

Now a quick review of the journey
  • The best roads in general were observed in The Netherlands. Everything was more or less perfect.
  • The best motorway stretch was A2 in Poland. It was literally perfect in all possible ways with very low traffic and most of the time going in a perfect straight line for miles and miles which means one could safely drive at speeds exceeding 300km/h without a worry. Well done Poland. Must be the best motorway in all of Europe at this moment
  • The worst motorway stretch was E40 in Belgium. Huge cracks and generally bad state of the asphalt which made driving somewhat uncomfortable or even dangerous.
  • The worst roads in general were observed in Poland. The problem is not the road quality itself but general adequacy (especially in the North Eastern part). Road quality and signage was, in fact, good for most of the time, however the lack of motorways in most stratches slows things down and makes it very complicated to drive racing with lorries and local traffic. However, situation is seemingly improving very fast. After A2 will be complete, driving from Germany to Poland will be on a different level. Again, Poland is doing a great job to improve its roads. I could describe the driving as much better than expected.

United Kingdom (M25, M26, M20, A20)

M25, about 5 o'clock in the morning

Surface quality of M25 is varying. In this particular stretch it was bumby and showing signs of ageing

M26, connecting M25 and M20

·
planquadrat
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Entering M20

Surface quality was typical to the British motorways i.e. mroe or less good but with noticeable imperfections for most of the time.

·
Deadpan Snarker
7,823 Posts
Nice! I look forward to the next pix. I'm just curious: was this trip planned by road, or did you drive because there were no flights?

·
planquadrat
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Penn's Woods.

We have planned the trip in advance so it was only a coincidence that there were no flights at that time. Lucky me, because I was thinking of booking my flights at that time as well. The primary reason why I did such a trip was to get more familiar with European roads. :)

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
The best roads in general[/i] were observed in The Netherlands. Everything was more or less perfect.[/list]
100% agree. I do a similar trip several times a year and must say that Dutch roads are exactly as good as you described.

• The best motorway stretch was A2 in Poland.

• When I said such a thing some time ago, people who heard that just started to laugh.
  • The worst motorway stretch was E40 in Belgium. Huge cracks and generally bad state of the asphalt which made driving somewhat uncomfortable or even dangerous.
Although, they have sort of historic touch. Some might love it.

• The worst roads in general were observed in Poland.

• I know your point. I have this advantage so can drive almost to the gate of my home using dual carriageways including only 50 kilometres non-motorway 2x2 (A4+DK1 towards Bielsko-Biala)

Surface quality of M25 is varying. In this particular stretch it was bumby and showing signs of ageing
    Surface quality was typical to the British motorways i.e. mroe or less good but with noticeable imperfections for most of the time.
    My impression is that the state of British motorways' surface literally shows the same level of quality as Belgian one. In addition, I don't know whether you noticed it or not, both generate high level of noise inside vehicle.
    Just disembarking on the other side of English Channel/Canal La Manche - even though French A16/ E40 is far from being perfect - makes your trip significantly quieter.

You pictures are so great so I can't wait my next month trip back home ten times more.

·
11,435 Posts
Interesting, I didn't know, that cat eyes are used on GB motorways, even on dotted lines, for which I don't see a reason of usefulness.

·
planquadrat
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here we go next.

France

We're about to get onto A16/E40

For the time being some local road connecting the ferry port to the A16

A16

What is the first thing you notice on the French Autoroute after a British motorway? It's much smoother

We'll drive in France for only few kms before getting to Belgium

·
planquadrat
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We'll be entering Belgium here somewhere... in fact, I missed the sign and onyl realized it's Belgium after the design of signage changed

Now it's Belgium for sure. We're on E40. I kinda liked the idea of writing only the E road instead of the national road (usually "A"). Makes things more simple

In Belgium we'll drive on E40, E17 and E34

1 - 20 of 258 Posts