SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find a thread for Brick Expressionism - it is a style that comes predominantly from Northern Germany approx. between 1920-1940. It uses bricks to create intricate details.

If you spot buildings around your city or know of some more examples, post them here!

Below is a classic Brick Expressionist Building - Chile House by Fritz Hoeger:-

Source: http://architectuul.com/architecture/chile-house

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

·
Banned
8,060 Posts
one of my favourite European styles.

Reactions: Highcliff

·
1,535 Posts
Wilhelm-Marx-Haus

Wilhelm-Marx-Haus in Düsseldorf

Considered to be Germany's first Skyscraper (some say the first one in Europe).
Wilhelm Marx House was finished in 1924 (beginning of the construction was in 1922). It is 57 meters high and has 13 floors above ground level. The architect was Wilhelm Kreis.

·
Banned
8,060 Posts
Stunning! as uniquely modern European a style as Frank Lloyd Wright's Prairie style was to America

Reactions: Highcliff

·
Existere et persistere
9,254 Posts
Great thread, I've always been fond of this style. Could also the City Halls of Stockholm and Oslo be considered as examples of Brick Expressionism?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Something in a similar vein: Gelders Archeologisch Centrum G.M. Kam (formerly Museum Kam), Nijmegen, The Netherlands. Archaeological museum. Built 1914-15, architect Oscar Leeuw. (Picture my own).

·
Smartshitter
2,079 Posts
The name Brick Expressionism is a little bit confusing. Brick facades have not necessarily been part of expressionistic architecture. Bricks have been the favorite material in Northern Germany for building. There are no mountains and a lack of stone pits. That's why it was also popular for expressionism to use bricks.

An example of expressionistic architecture without using bricks is the Einsteinturm in Potsdam. The tower was named after Albert Einstein, the nobel prize winner of 1921.

Einsteinturm von Frank Kehren auf Flickr

einsteinturm_20040612ag von xstatic_de auf Flickr

Einsteinturm von Pete Shacky auf Flickr

Expressionism was very close to art déco. A little bit more art and less déco. One could also say Art Déco was a more popular version of Expressionism.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts