SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
10th February 2008
59,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bring it on! The stadia, sporting facilities, and experience of hosting large scale sporting events are already in place.

European Games: Manchester show interest in being 2023 hosts
By David McDaid - BBC Olympic sports reporter

Manchester may bid to host the 2023 European Games, says European Olympic Committee president Patrick Hickey.

The inaugural Games in Azerbaijan end on Sunday with no host for 2019, after the Netherlands withdrew.

"The future is safe and secure. We now have four interested countries for the next edition and a waiting list for 2023," Hickey told BBC Sport.

"In fact, observers from Manchester came to Baku with a view to considering a bid in 2023."

·
10th February 2008
59,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What happened to the one you had last time?? They're not supposed to be disposable you know!
Considering you know everything about Manchester, you should know the 2002 Commonwealth's Games stadium is now the Etihad football stadium.

But don't worry, if Manchester get's the European Games in 2023, there's a possibility the current Etihad Campus Athletics stadium can't be expanded, but it's a very tight site.

If that's not possible, perhaps the city council, the Government, and ADUG will fund and built another (athletics) stadium in Manchester?

Either way, I/we'll keep you updated on any bid progress. :)

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Considering you know everything about Manchester, you should know the 2002 Commonwealth's Games stadium is now the Etihad football stadium.
Thanks for taking my tongue in cheek comment (to someone else) and responding in your own inimitable amiable style. Allow me to return the favour.

I'm sure you must realise that temporary solutions can be found for such a temporary use of the facilities. The games being held right now are - after all (and I thought you would know this) - being held outside the football season.

Don't worry about you keeping me informed. If there's any further chatter on this subject, I'm sure it will be compulsory for the whole of the UK to be bored absolutely witless with it until at least the year after it has been done and dusted.

·
10th February 2008
59,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for taking my tongue in cheek comment (to someone else) and responding in your own inimitable amiable style. Allow me to return the favour.

I'm sure you must realise that temporary solutions can be found for such a temporary use of the facilities. The games being held right now are - after all (and I thought you would know this) - being held outside the football season.

Don't worry about you keeping me informed. If there's any further chatter on this subject, I'm sure it will be compulsory for the whole of the UK to be bored absolutely witless with it until at least the year after it has been done and dusted.
Not a problem.

Unfortunately you have history, so I honestly didn't know if it was a genuine post or just another dig?

Considering you had the urge and compulsion to post on this thread straightaway(3rd post), it just shows how bored you are with Manchester and all the proposals going on in the city.

That tells us everything we need to know about you and more.

No, Manchester doesn't do temp. The city has a sporting legacy to up hold. And anything that can improve that sporting legacy will be permanent.

Here's one solution I've just come up with.

The site of a possible new and much larger athletics stadium. With a new stadium built/located at a different angle, meaning the current indoor squash courts, etc, would have to be relocated. The circle is a bit large.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Not a problem.

Unfortunately you have history
Everyone has history. If you mean "history" in a derogatory sense, I could reel off a list of your comments on the Liverpool threads easily enough.

Considering you had the urge and compulsion to post on this thread straightaway(3rd post), it just shows how bored you are with Manchester and all the proposals going on in the city.

That tells us everything we need to know about you and more.
Just browsing. It's a reasonably big announcement, I do like to stay informed, and had I not seen the line about the stadium and had a quip to make I would have just quickly skimmed and left

No, Manchester doesn't do temp. The city has a sporting legacy to up hold. And anything that can improve that sporting legacy will be permanent.
Well Manchester did do temp... the stadium being referred to, which is now a football stadium. Just like the Olympic stadium was temp. What else do you do with something expensive that is only needed for a few weeks?

Here's one solution I've just come up with.
Well I'm sure there'll be lots of this chatter, I don't know the area well enough to comment on the suitability. I just don't see why it's necessary if you've already got somewhere.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Would this be a Greater Manchester Bid? If so would the Ponoma Island be suitable to hold a stadium. I can just see the opening ceremony with fireworks down the Manchester Ship Canal, and also going off in the City Centre, and Quays in the distance.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Yes that's right. Before Manchester, the Commonwealth Games - the World's second biggest sporting event after the Olympics, whose first event was in 1930 - was nothing before it came to Manchester.

Seriously. Is this really how you view the World?

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Baku European Games Opening Ceremony
I know they've spent a lot of money on this, but I think you have to understand context of the country and the importance they've placed on this once in a generation event for them, and the cash they've had available. Put in this way, they've spent more on this fledgling first of its kind event than Manchester spent on its much more significant Commonwealth Games.

But it wasn't considered worth £42m in the Netherlands, and I think that is a more representative reflection.

·
Mike
3,795 Posts
Yes that's right. Before Manchester, the Commonwealth Games - the World's second biggest sporting event after the Olympics, whose first event was in 1930 - was nothing before it came to Manchester.

The Commonwealth Games in the 70s and 80s were a poor version of what they are now - Edinburgh 1970 was hardly a great success. When Manchester bid for the 2002 Games they were in a field of one, nobody wanted them. Post Manchester they have taken off again.

·
Registered
26,065 Posts

Nobody cared about the Commonwealth Games before 2002. It was a poor-man's olympics. We put on a good show, and since then cities have been queueing up to host them.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
I'm sure I'm not older that you are, if I recall - some of the Commonwealth Games of the 80s were huge! Auckland and Kuala Lumpar came before Manchester, Kuala Lumpar being a step change and more than a thousand more athletes taking part. Don't forget how far in advance bids and discussions take place.

While the Commonwealth Games undoubtedly lit Manchester's fire and tickled the BBCs fancy, it is a nonsense to suggest that the World only became interested and involved when it arrived in Manchester.

·
Registered
26,065 Posts
I'm sure I'm not older that you are, if I recall - some of the Commonwealth Games of the 80s were huge! Auckland and Kuala Lumpar came before Manchester, Kuala Lumpar being a step change and more than a thousand more athletes taking part. Don't forget how far in advance bids and discussions take place.

While the Commonwealth Games undoubtedly lit Manchester's fire and tickled the BBCs fancy, it is a nonsense to suggest that the World only became interested and involved when it arrived in Manchester.
Here we go again, it's all a BBC conspiracy.

Take it back to the Liverpool forums, we don't want it here

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Fine, believe you're the centre of the universe, the World's most amazing city which can bring the dead back to life and perform other assorted miracles.

Perhaps you should bid to host the next Middle East peace talks, and do something worthwhile with your special powers, for once.

·
10th February 2008
59,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Go on Centurio, tell us something else about the 2002 Manchester Commonwealth Games we don't already know.

You've suddenly gained a healthy interest in the Commonwealth Games and Manchester. I wonder why? Is it because.........

Tell us how it was used as a springboard for the London Olympics Games and the Glasgow Commonwealth games. And how after the disastrous Edinburgh Commonwealth Games, and disastrous Sheffield World Student Games, it showed this country could host a successful games/large sporting event once again.

Sheffield's World Student Games £658m debt 'disaster' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-14134973
Apart from the successful games, and just as importantly, it left a lasting sporting and economic legacy for the city, which is still going to this day. A blueprint Glasgow used for it's Commonwealth Games.

The Manchester Games in 2002 provide the best example of that model and the organisers of Glasgow 2014 have been working closely with their English counterparts in an attempt to replicate such successes.

The head of Manchester City Council, Sir Richard Leese, says the city is still benefiting 14 years later. "It has given us the finest collection of sporting facilities in the country and provided a great catalyst for the regeneration of an industrial area," he said. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonwealth-games/26628749
Is it sinking in yet? Can't be arsed replying to post 7. I'll be here all day.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts