Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
77,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone watch the Eurovision contest?
this years winner is a shocker.

Finns monster song contest
May 21, 2006

Better the devil you know ... Eurovision winners Lordi / Reuters FINLAND was the surprise winner of the 51st Eurovision song contest overnight with the monster-themed rock band Lordi beating 23 other competitors.

Lordi scored 292 points from telephone voters in 38 countries with its song Hard Rock Hallelujah in a performance in Greece that both shocked and amused viewers.
Finishing in second place was Russia with 248 points going to Dima Bilan's Never let you go.

Bosnia was third with 229 points going to the group Hari Mata Hari singing the melodic Layla.

Performances featured a wide range of styles from disco and rap to ethnically inspired tunes.

The Finnish band thanked viewers for voting for their song, which featured the lead singer hoisting a double-headed axe over his head in a performance inspired by 1970s rock band Kiss.

"What this has shown is that there are different styles of music than just pop and rock," Mr Lordi, the lead singer of the band, said at a news conference. "That should be the goal of Eurovision."

Although widely associated with kitsch and trite lyrics in the west of the continent, the annual contest has drawn increasing interest from viewers in eastern Europe.

The Eurovision contest was broadcast live across Europe with an estimated 100 million viewers tuning in and some 25,000 visitors and journalists arriving in Athens for the event.

Although many past winners have faded into obscurity, it has helped launched the careers of performers like Abba and Celine Dion.

In Finland, young people on the streets of the capital Helsinki welcomed the news of the triumph enthusiastically.

"It's amazing that Finland has finally won something. Though I don't like Lordi myself, it's great! We don't win anything," said Mari Pelli, an 18-year-old childminder.

Groups of young people walked from bar to bar shouting the lyrics of the winning song at the tops of their voices.

"I'm very happy that they won. Eurovision is a show for entertainment, not for music," said Mikko Mattila, a 30-year-old student.

"It's not Sibelius, but they have their own way. Lordi is the best," said Satu Puolakka, a 19-year-old student.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
A worthy winner. Eurovision is all about cheese, so cheese-metal is as good as cheese-pop. Good to see that the Klingon Empire is now part of the EU as well. :)

Honorable mentions go to the Lithuanian Music-Men-Meets-Soccer-Chant thing (a nice change to see intentional humour) and the Croatians who I thought put in the most entertaining of the traditional weird Euro-cheese pop-performances. And Terry Wogan of course.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Saw it. The music wasnt bad IMO, i liked the song.

But the costumes/showmanship was impressive. Full credit to them.

rofl at:
"It's amazing that Finland has finally won something. Though I don't like Lordi myself, it's great! We don't win anything," said Mari Pelli, an 18-year-old childminder.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Eurovision was kinda stupid.

Sure most of them are way better singers than what you see on idol, but its such a cheesy competition.

It was sad to see most of the countries singing bland American pop songs, only Finland broke the trend with their heavy metal and costumes, and only Bosnia-Herbezgova (spelling?) sung something truely European, in their own language, about their own culture.

It was even more sad to see aliens singing for other countries, why the **** does an aussie sing for Germany? Germans have great singers... why does a Swede sing for Armenia, why is a Brit singing for Iceland, why is a yank singing for Ireland?

Stupid comp, the countries should be validating their OWN local talent. It didn't seem very European or very visionary (too much bland American pop in English) to me IMO, and the hosts/commentators/voting process were one of the worst by far.

But atleast it was good to see that Europeans voted sensibly (unlike Aus idol), Finland won with Bosnia 3rd.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I never miss Eurovision and even went to watch it when I was young when it was hosted in Malmo, Sweden. Finland where not my favourite, and was dissapointed that the UK did not do better, I actually quite liked it without being biased.
France was shocking and boring.
I also quite liked the Ukraine too.
Not next year but Eurovision 2008 I will be attending again, wonder where it will be? Knowing my luck it will be the UK and I get to go home again ..... *sigh*

·
Here Since 2002
7,256 Posts
hmm.. yes that is quite weird, why did even Celine Dion, a Canadian, win EUROvision? that is something which could cause problems in the futrue.

Anyways, about time something interesting came out of Eurovision. Some Greek lady won last year, but who really cares? I'd love to see more rock bands in Eurovision.

·
Registered
0 Posts
LuckyLuke said:
you're able to see Eurovison in Australia?
Yes, we get the BBC feed on SBS - it is slightly delayed because of the time difference so it can be shown in prime time - as what happens with the Oscars etc.

·
Registered
0 Posts
renell said:
hmm.. yes that is quite weird, why did even Celine Dion, a Canadian, win EUROvision? that is something which could cause problems in the futrue.
She performed for Switzerland. Yes, that is weird. I thought it was France, but Switzerland, that's weird.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Cariad said:
Not next year but Eurovision 2008 I will be attending again, wonder where it will be? Knowing my luck it will be the UK and I get to go home again ..... *sigh*
The winner gets to host the next years event, so Finland.

Lordi were clearly the most interesting, and the music wasn't too bad either. It is a pop contest so it is a bit surprising that a rock song won....

·
Premium Member
9,602 Posts
ABBA became famous after winning Eurovision. And people from the 80's may remember the terrible Bucks Fizz who also won.

In the UK it's all a bit of a laugh, Terry Wogan the Irish host always pulls the piss out of the entire thing.

Lately a lot of countries do block voting for each other, and all up it's quite an amusing little Europe in minitaure example of jealousies and back door pacts.

G

·
As we would say over here - SHIT! I wouldnt even waste your breath with it. It wasnt bad when Political voting was implemented.

Its tidius rubbish and Lithuania were the real winners in the British Isles and Ireland.

I voted for them lot ;) TWICE

·
A Christchurch Son
4,530 Posts
It was awful - believe me - AWFUL

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
renell said:

Anyways, about time something interesting came out of Eurovision. Some Greek lady won last year, but who really cares? I'd love to see more rock bands in Eurovision.
That Greek Lady was Helena Paparizou and shes great. ;)

I watched it and it was great, It was a better quality of songs this year (still tacky) but I enjoyed it.

I personally liked FYROM song and Ukraine.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Orfeo said:
The winner gets to host the next years event, so Finland.

Lordi were clearly the most interesting, and the music wasn't too bad either. It is a pop contest so it is a bit surprising that a rock song won....
100% agree.

Bit of shock rock in a schlock pop competition was just the ticket.

For cheese factor I quite liked Sweden, Romania and the A cappella dudes.
Big bonus for me personally was watching my horrified Euro mother and co being absolutely digusted by Finland
and countries voting "douze pointe"! for it
and swearing never to watch it ever again :hahaha:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts