SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
evanston: it's a suburb, but it doesn't suck

at least i don't think it does.

here are some sweet-ass aerials of evanston posted over at SSP by KCgridlock as part of his bigger over chicago thread. thought you guys might enjoy them.

here's some new TOD in south evanston. that's the south boulevard L platform in the bottom right:

new and old TOD density around the main street L stop/metra station, seen in the lower lefthand corner, also in south evanston:

and finally, two lovely shots of downtown evanston and its burgeoning mini-skyline. northwestern university's campus can bee seen in the background along the lakeshore. for scale, the big black box is evanston's tallest building at 277'. like i said in the title, it doesn't suck:

the gray residential tower in the upper righthand corner of this shot is still under construction. what you're seeing is the exposed structrural concrete which will be painted in the not too distant future.

all thanks to KCgridlock for these great aerial shots.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I thought it was a thread about Evansville, Indiana but I was wrong. Too bad it would be great to see threads with hardly-mentioned midwestern cities. Great pictures though.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Nothing sucks about Evanston....great pictures, Dan. I have never seen better ones that highlight the downtown area and the NU campus.

What does suck is the townshouses you've shown on Chicago Ave and South Blvd. Those monstrosities are smack on the street...yet go for $400,000+; the only thing I can think of that is as offensively crowded as these town houses are the apts on Ridge and Emerson.

·
The Jive is Alive.
1,537 Posts
I love Evanston, it's one of the greatest suburbs on the continent. My mom went to Evanston High School in the '60s. I can't get over the resemblance Evanston has to Clayton & U. City (STL 'burbs). I know this is an Evanston thread, but you guys have to see the similarities:

http://photos.imageevent.com/kcgridlock/aerialsstlurban/IMG_8711_sized.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/kcgridlock/aerialsstlurban/IMG_8700_sized.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/kcgridlock/aerialsstlurban/IMG_8567_sized.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/kcgridlock/aerialsstlurban/IMG_8566_sized.jpg

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Evanston is a great little suburb... Evanston does feel like an extention of Chicago, last time I been to it in 2005, I was in Evanston, but I thought I was in Chicago...

Great Pictures... Evanston need a new tallest, maybe a 300 ft modern building...

·
2,916 Posts
I love Evanston. My brother lives there and I've visited many times. It's so walkable! That's probably my favorite feature of Evanston. The one bad thing, though, is practically non-existent expressway access. It takes FOREVER to get in and out of Evanston, but once you're there, it's awesome.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
edsg25 said:
What does suck is the townshouses you've shown on Chicago Ave and South Blvd. Those monstrosities are smack on the street...yet go for $400,000+; the only thing I can think of that is as offensively crowded as these town houses are the apts on Ridge and Emerson.
i disagree. the complex at ridge and emerson is offensive, not because it's crowded, but because it's so fucking cheap-looking and ugly. the complex in the photo above down at chicago and south boulevard isn't perfect, but it's MUCH better. and i don't really mind the crowded look, in fact i kinda like it because it makes that southern stretch of chicago avenue all the more urban feeling. screw open space, i like closed-in, urban built environments (when they're at least half-way decent looking).

CorrND said:
The one bad thing, though, is practically non-existent expressway access. It takes FOREVER to get in and out of Evanston, but once you're there, it's awesome.
that's actually one of the best features about evanston. the lack of expressways nearby helped keep the place so walkable and urban during the dreaded post-war years when so many other places went down the auto-centric shitter.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
JivecitySTL said:
I love Evanston, it's one of the greatest suburbs on the continent. My mom went to Evanston High School in the '60s. I can't get over the resemblance Evanston has to Clayton & U. City (STL 'burbs). I know this is an Evanston thread, but you guys have to see the similarities:
Jive, I definitely agree with you about Evanston and Clayton....with their universities (NU, WashU) and their high rise downtowns. Clayton is a great community.

I'd say there is a major difference in how the two downtowns grew. Evanston's growth was more a part of natural conditions in the city. A much larger and more urban suburb than Clayton, it always had a major CBD. Downtown Evanston's direct proximity to Northwestern further created a need for a major retail district. Evanston cashed in on its lakefront location, NU, a large and relatively dense population to create residential high risers with great views of Chicago, loads of restaurants and a constantly improving retail scene. While downtown Evanston draws people from the entire North Shore, from Chicago's North Side, from Skokie, etc., it is still relativel¥ self-contained.

Clayton differs from Evanston in the fact that much of its growth in high rises came about during the years when downtown St. Louis was at its lowest and from Clayton's ability to package itself as a second downtown for the StL area. Thus you see the StL metro's Ritz Carelton locate in Clayton where in Chicago, there would never been any consideration to put it in Evanston.

BTW, I certainly don't think the conditions that gave rise to Clayton due to conditions in downtown StL exist today...St. Louis has definitely put the bad times behind it.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
edsg25 said:
Jive, I definitely agree with you about Evanston and Clayton....with their universities (NU, WashU) and their high rise downtowns. Clayton is a great community.
jive (or somebody else), correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think wash U is located in clayton.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
edsg25 said:
Nothing sucks about Evanston....great pictures, Dan. I have never seen better ones that highlight the downtown area and the NU campus.

i didnt notice that this thread was also in the *midwest folder
i will reiterate my disgust for this collection of "buildings"
i will wholeheartedly agree with edsg, they are monstrous,
they are clausterphobic, and cookie cutter, all identical essentially,
i dont mind the density, its just the lack of design
and lack of retail on a busy street, it totally kills street life when you dont have retail on it, especially that section,
make the first floor much much taller and put retail in it,
is that so hard?
these look like rabbit warrens,
on the flipside they couldve put a highrise there and put a park or retail next to it, really stupid use of the land just to fit the existing land use rules,

ugliest tod ive seen,
im sure there are worse, but this is near the bottom,

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ well, you have only the neighborhood NIMBYs to blame for the way it turned out. the developer wanted to build taller buildings with more open sapce, but the neighborhood said "absolutely not" so the developer went ahead and built out the land to its maximum allowed density under the zoning code. i agree, a better scheme could have been worked out here, but the neighborhors made it clear that they were not willing to compromise even one inch to get a better project built. yet another example of alarmingly clueless evanston NIMBYs shooting themselves in the foot. they could have had a better project in their neighrborhood, but oh no, 6 stories is WAY too tall for chicago avenue. stupid ****-wits.

in the end, i still don't think the result is all that bad. the buildings are very tightly spaced, but i don't find them to be particularly ugly.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Steely Dan said:
jive (or somebody else), correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think wash U is located in clayton.
Washington University is NOT located in Clayton. It is right off Skinker in St. Louis city limits, on the other side of Forest Park from Barnes Hospital. It backs right up to the DelMar Loop in University City.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
JB_Gold Coast said:
Washington University is NOT located in Clayton. It is right off Skinker in St. Louis city limits, on the other side of Forest Park from Barnes Hospital. It backs right up to the DelMar Loop in University City.
Right. It is Wash U in St. Louis, not in Clayton, after-all.

·
The Jive is Alive.
1,537 Posts
^Actually, Wash. U. is technically in three different cities: Most of it is in U. City (hence the name "University City), a good portion is in the western limits of St. Louis City, and the southern portions of the campus are in Clayton.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^ interesting jive. so is wash U's campus just fucking huge, or does it just happen to sit at the 3 way junction of the municapal borders of U city, st, louis & clayton?

does the university sit next to downtown clayton the way that northwestern relates to downtown evanston? is there a strong university presence in downtown clayton (ie. full of college students and businesses that cater to them)?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts