SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 7986 Posts

·
19,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everton to announce new stadium debate within months

Mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, has said that he hopes Liverpool City Council and Everton Football Club will be able to make an announcement on a new stadium for the club within the next few months.

Speaking to our Everton Podcast, lifelong Evertonian Anderson said that the club and the council had been working hard together in order to develop a scheme that would suit both council and club.

“We’re looking at a number of offers from the club, and we’ve made offers to them as to how we can help progress things,” said Mayor Anderson.

“There are a number of sites that we’ve been considering and we’re doing all we can.

“I’m sure that reasonably shortly there’ll be a discussion and a debate taking place between ourselves and people of the city about something that we’ve been working on.

“I’m optimistic that we’ll be able to put forward a suitable solution within the next couple of months.

“The council will work with the club to look at how we can support them, not necessarily in a financial investment in the club, but perhaps in the same way that we’ve done with Liverpool.

“We’ve invested quite a substantial amount of money around the area [of Anfield] and I’m sure Liverpool Football Club would be the first to admit that.

“We’re working with Everton and I’m confident that we’ll be able to put a proposal forward shortly.”

No Groundshare

When asked about the potential for a ground share with Liverpool Football Club, Anderson was determined that both clubs have their own proposals that are so far advanced that the idea of a share is now dead in the water.

Adding that he would have been behind such a scheme, he said, “I think it could have worked, it’s not going to work, but the thing that I want is for both clubs to be successful and have money coming out of their ears and buy the top players without worrying about a groundshare or whatever.

“But if it saves you tens of millions of pounds a year and you can work together then I would have been supportive of it.

“But it’s not going to happen. The proposals from both clubs are so far advanced now that it’s academic, so let’s move on from that.”
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...kdfyCaxO6iJ4OjS5actVcAw&bvm=bv.64542518,d.ZGU

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,627 Posts
Yes I've heard that too, I think it's real this time, the current situation can't go on forever.

·
Fugly
11,223 Posts
We'll see once season ticket deadline has passed. :lol:

In the meantime, can't they just lob another tier on the Park End?

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,627 Posts
The ground has to go, a couple of times this season I've missed a game because there was only obstructed views left, that can't continue. Fan pressure will go through the roof once Liverpool expand and they know it.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
We'll see once season ticket deadline has passed. :lol:

In the meantime, can't they just lob another tier on the Park End?
They got another £14 million extra this season, you would have thought the board would have used some of that to do an extra tier.

Logic and the board dont go hand in hand.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
One of the sites rumoured is Walton Hall Park.
I can't see that, that's been rumoured for years and the proposal never even got to the drawing board, indeed if it did, local opposition would be immense, I imagine not only greens but the liberal democrats would strongly oppose that, and it would be called in.

EFC need to go for a brownfield site, possibly in the inner city, or in the outer suburbs like gilmoss, lets not forget this is a debate that has gone on since about 1992, it's exasperating.

·
User Registered
4,716 Posts
Everton FC free school building work begins on new multi-million pound development

Building work on Everton FC’s new multi-million pound free school has started.

Students and staff gathered to celebrate the landmark moment which is being constructed in the shadows of Goodison Park.

The first phase of the £4.2 million development on Spellow Lane in Kirkdale is set to open in September.

The development will include the refurbishment and extension of an existing building on Spellow Lane and features will include a teaching block, a sports hall, a covered “street” running through the complex and a curving “creative block” close to the existing building.

Currently, the school is based at four sites across Merseyside – Toxteth, the city centre’s Learning Exchange, Wallasey School and Huyton’s Lord Derby Academy.

Adrian Packer, Principal of Everton Free School said: “We are absolutely delighted with the start we have made as a free school since we opened in 2012.

“These new facilities for the students and local community will be a great asset to the area. They will certainly enable our students many more pathways to success.”

Robert Elstone, Chief Executive of Everton Football Club, said that he was added delighted to be “breaking ground” on the new site.

He added: “It comes after a tremendous amount of hard work from all those working within the Everton Free School and is further tangible proof of the progress the staff, and students, have made since first opening its doors 18 months ago.

“The new facility will make a positive difference to many, many young people’s lives in the local community and we are proud to be associated with this innovative and pioneering educational project.”

The school will be known as the new home of Everton Free School and it will be constructed as part of the Government’s Free School programme.

It will cater for a maximum of 200 students and the regeneration and redevelopment will offer the people of Walton a community campus.

Dr Denise Barrett-Baxendale, Chief Executive Officer of Everton in the Community, said that it was a “great moment”.

She added: “The free school has made great impact already and we are delighted to be supporting them as they create a great future for the young people of Merseyside.”

The school currently houses 130 students with over 20 others on a waiting list. But the new development will allow them to increase the intake to 200 students. The satellites will remain.

A significant amount of funding was allocated from the Big Lottery Fund to create a community hub which will mean the facilities will be available for public use.
I am working on this project in work and have made the model which the CGI have been generated. Hope i am allowed to put them here, i have included my employers logo to prevent copyright infringement.
I also created a thread for it in the general Liverpool forum as it is to be constructed. Also the current badge will not be used. Next seasons one will.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I can't see that, that's been rumoured for years and the proposal never even got to the drawing board, indeed if it did, local opposition would be immense, I imagine not only greens but the liberal democrats would strongly oppose that, and it would be called in.

EFC need to go for a brownfield site, possibly in the inner city, or in the outer suburbs like gilmoss, lets not forget this is a debate that has gone on since about 1992, it's exasperating.
Mad John had a whole website dedicated to using Walton Hall Park for a new stadium so as the outer CLC loop could be reinstated. To be fair, if the Toffees were to relocate there then it would be worse for public transport at WHP than it is at the moment at GP.

I would much prefer a brownfield site, too, but I honestly can't see us ever moving, I had a full head of hair when this all started.

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
lifelong Evertonian Anderson
I have only ever met one Everton supporter who has not been a "lifelong Evertonian". :)

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I wouldn't be too surprised if evertonian Anderson announces that Walton Park is to be carved up for the new ground.

I'm not bashing EFC either, I was only saying to people the other day how EFC have conducted themselves over Hillsborough is nothing short of dignified.

Not having it over the park though.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I wonder if the recent announcements (and the images released today) from over the Park will lead to a more proactive approach from the EFC board? We can but hope! If they get their act together, the redevelopment of the two grounds could have a superb impact on the regeneration of north Liverpool.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Lots of rumors doing the rounds that an announcement in imminent. I chatted to Elstone last year in the USA on the pre-season tour and he said the favoured site was Walton Hall Park. We'll see.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts

The last thing we need is an edge of city stadium with tiny public transport provision. The public transport capacity of the city centre is approx 200k per hr with multiple locsl and national direct services. This decreases exponentially with distance from town whereby in some parts of the periphery it is measured in hundreds per hr. As shown with the Kirkby debacle this is neither viable nor desirable.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Lots of rumors doing the rounds that an announcement in imminent. I chatted to Elstone last year in the USA on the pre-season tour and he said the favoured site was Walton Hall Park. We'll see.
WHP isnt desirable to the football supporter as the lack of transport facilities given a new stadium is very poor.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Walton Hall Park is what, 3 more stops on the bus past Goodison? Closer to the East Lancs / Queens Drive and about the same distance from Rice Lane station as Goodison is from Sandhills, where the current Soccer Bus runs from. There's also a lot more room around the ground for car parking than at present.

How is Walton Hall Park a bad option?

1 - 20 of 7986 Posts