SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A vast area covering dozens of streets from Heyworth Street, down across Netherfield Road and beyond to Great Homer Street. Bulldozed during a slum clearance programme, Ken Rogers had held a couple of talks in St Georges Church about the forming of the friends of Everton Park enthusiasts.

The area of course is steeped in history including one of the first Iron Churches whose owner had his residence on nearby land, who upon looking out across the River Mersey mouth, hit upon developing the land across the water, turning it into a resort and naming it New Brighton.

The old campfield pub is built on the old camp field from the days of Prince Rupert's soldiers were encamped in 1643 when the Parliamentarians (Roundheads) took Liverpool Castle over as a base. Prince Rupert of the Royalists (Cavaliers) attacked the Castle from his base at Everton, and lost 1500 men in a lengthy battle. His cottage was near the Everton lock up (still there) and Molly Bushells' - Ma Nobletts Everton toffee shop.

Last weekend they had a time team style dig at Everton Park near Heyworth street to unearth the foundations of St Benedicts church, so it being nice weather, a few of us popped along to see what was going on. Ex residents of the demolished streets and some who had worshipped or were married at the church showed up with old photographs.

This was the trench dug to reveal the St Benedicts church foundations. Avant gardens along with the Liverpool bi-ennial are planting flowers in the soil so the footprint along Kepler st will always be visible.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fritz from California was with his team getting the soil readied.

A mate pointing out the 'police station' sign on the lintel above the door way to the nearby power/generating station to one of the organisers Polly. Does anyone know why that's there as it was never a police station?

We continued our walkabout taking in the whole rectangle of Heyworth st/Grecian terrace/Netherfield road and Browside.

This is the corpy worker taking the glaze off the setts. We're looking up Everton Terrace and the rear of the old industrial school which became Everton Terrace police station can be seen top left

Below is the now shot of looking up past the rounded sandstone wall up to what would have been Everton Terrace.

Here we can see the then and now shots more clearly.

Here, it's recognised that the lighter blocks on the wall in the old pic by the EWS (Emergency water supply) painted sign are still there which gives us the perfect juxtapose.

Here we are nearer the top of Everton Terrace with the old school/police station on the left which was Nos 33-35 Everton Terrace. Photo from 1962.

So far we've been looking at the back of the school/police station on Everton Terrace. To give you an idea of how it looked from the front onto Netherfleld road, here it is with Ann Fowlers also in view near the top of Prince Edwin st.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No Paul, Ken Rogers of the lost tribes of Everton fame has got together a group called friends of Everton park, or actually they may have already existed, but anyway, he's part of it now and wants to have a path through the park with information cases showing the old lines of streets which once led from Heyworth st, right down across Nethy and to Greaty. The dig was part of something just to get locals interested, some of whom came over with photos of their houses on the old streets and pics of the church, weddings, christenings etc.

There have been a couple of meetings at St Georges church and the Old Campfield pub that i've attended.

Some more pics, but from the other side of the park.

Looking down the 39 steps to Everton Brow and beyond.

A little further along and looking down Prince Edwin street

The cool dudes are standing pretty much not too far away from where this Bobby was standing (we think).

The Everton lock up. Famed for being on the badge of Everton Football Club which was formerly St Domingo's school team and played in Salmon pink but who did have the Liver bird on their first emblemed garments.

Now, most of us have seen this little piece of architecture that has stood the test of time.

But how many have noticed this old original staircase?

Here's a then and now.

St Anthony's church is the giveaway.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know, i'll ask them next time but it's only a fledgling organisation with no great structure at the mo. It would seem it's only the very bottom end fronting onto Great Homer st that this is earmarked for. This part is probably least used and does not offer the views that any part of the park East of Netherfield road does.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
St Georges church and grounds were packed out yesterday for another talk by Ken Rogers and then a walk to where your street once was, located by markers on the trees. He was doing a roaring trade, signing his follow up book to the lost tribes of Everton.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Don't suppose any of the trees bear Eastbourne Street and Raglan Terrace? Both now "parkland" but were my parents' homes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rose Place

Hi, this will be my first posting on the forum, i am interested in this area having found out my Ancestors lived in some of these streets, they came from Ireland in the 1840s and lived around the scottie road area, i do not know this area as i come from London, have been on google maps and saw that a lot of the old houses have gone :eek:hno:, were they pulled down in the 1960s?, i remember the East End of London getting bulldozed in the 1960s they destroyed some lovely houses, the one,s they missed are worth a lot of money now,Hope to learn some more about the area .
Cag

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
What are the Friends' views towards the ideas for selling off bits of the park to bring in new developments?
Liverpool is a growing city and this park is prime real estate i hope its sold off.

·
Human Being
42,648 Posts
Everton Park is a real treasure with masses of potential. It has a wildflower meadow, bluffs, hills, and the best views in the city. It is like a mini Hampstead Heath.

Everton Park is probably the main reason that people would cite if deciding to move into the area, rather than moving to the traditionally desirable locations and postcodes.

I would hate to see the park sold off or developed. I look forward to it having a visitor centre and cafe; public art works etc

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Regents Park Hub

The first design looks something that's on a mound in Regent's Park in London.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...bjectid=32753601&siteid=100252-name_page.html
Back in 2009 & 10 I was involved in cricket Knock-out competitions in aid of The Lords Taveners Charity. The Hub being half underground blends in with the park. It provides a cafe with changing facilities below, an excellent piece of contemporary architecture in leafy surrounding........

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Everton Park is a real treasure with masses of potential. It has a wildflower meadow, bluffs, hills, and the best views in the city. It is like a mini Hampstead Heath.

Everton Park is probably the main reason that people would cite if deciding to move into the area, rather than moving to the traditionally desirable locations and postcodes.

I would hate to see the park sold off or developed. I look forward to it having a visitor centre and cafe; public art works etc
Good points, Jane, I didn't know about the wild flower meadow, thanks. The way I see it is the area currently has densities below suburban levels and needs repopulating for it to be sustainable. As I understand it only a small part of the park that will be built on and plans include a visitor centre.
Hopefully the wild flower meadow will be retained along with most of the Sweet Chestnuts that grow there.( a fairly rare tree in the city)

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Broadway Malyan wins Everton Park contest

7 Mar 2013, 10:07

Broadway Malyan has won the design contest to transform the hilltop Everton Park overlooking central Liverpool.

Scroll down to see image gallery

The winning design features a new visitor attraction within the 100-acre park with panoramic views across the city from the northern brow, featuring an information centre, event and gallery space and café.

Broadway Malyan beat four other practices: Austin-Smith:Lord, Cass Associates, Studio Three and FVMA, the firm founded by former Union North directors Miles Falkingham and Steve Vant in 2012.

When finalised, Broadway Malyan's design will be submitted to the Heritage Lottery Fund for funding assessment.

Broadway Maylan's Liverpool director, Matt Brook, said: "This was an exciting project for us to work on and people clearly responded to the way we made use of the existing environment, especially the staggering views.

"We explored the notion of 'reveal' by combining the landscape with a linear east to west facing building so that the full panorama is concealed and only revealed once the visitor reaches the tip of the building, maximising the impact of the vista and enhancing the visitor experience."

"We are delighted that we now have the chance to become part of the park's rich heritage and we look forward to working with Liverpool Vision and the Friends of Everton Park on the next steps to realise the potential of one of the city's best assets."

The contest was overseen by community group Friends of Everton Park and Liverpool Vision, the economic development agency, whose chief executive Max Steinberg said: "This is a major milestone on Everton Park's journey and the design will act as a spur to approaching funding bodies to help us start the project later this year.

"The high standard of each entry has reflected the significant role the Park has both for the locality and the city as a whole.

"It was a close run competition but Broadway Malyan's stunning and innovative approach fit most perfectly with our ambition to make Everton Park a major tourist destination and a great community asset."

Paul Edwards, chairman of Friends of Everton Park, said: "We are working hard to craft a more exciting future for the park, which has been underused in the past. We are drawing inspiration from the atmosphere and function that Barcelona's Parc Guell offers its visitors and this development is another step forward in us meeting that ambition.

"There is still much work to do. We are continuing to work through all the feedback and adapt the plans accordingly, but this design gives us a much clearer selling point when we approach funding partners."

A public consultation event into the Everton Park plans held in February attracted 120 residents and interested parties.

http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/archive/13180-broadway-malyan-wins-everton-park-contest.html

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,677 Posts
Well my favourite one won, let's hope they sort out the funding now, the panoramic views from in there would be fantastic. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts