SkyscraperCity banner

281 - 300 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
165. Monument to "Crocodile Dandy" in Dundaga, northwest Latvia. Arvids Blumentals was born in this picturesque village in 1925. As Russians occupied Latvia, he on 1944 emigrated - first to French legion, in 1950ies he arrived in Australia. Here he became popular with his wild "performances", including catch of some 10 - 50 thousand crocodiles. He was living in a cave near Coober Pady and became a prototype for series of "Crocodile Dandy" movies. In his cave there was staged also one of " Mad Max" series - then he was drinking hard together with Tina Turner.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
167. Orthodox church in Ludza - the same town. In previous page you saw Catholic church in this small town, now - Orthodox. Three christian confessions in Latvia are approximately equally important - Lutheran, Catholic and Orthodox. They compete through building possibly nice churches in each town and village.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
Thanks, many thanks!
I am omitting days - not because I lack the pictures but because I am out in nature.

168. Beach near Kaltene, northwest Latvia. This beach differs a lot from the common, sandy beaches elsewhere in Latvia. Here the sea is very shallow, one should walk almost 1 km in the water before he can start swimming. Such place is paradise for wading birds - there is built nice nature trail with watchtower. Very picturesque place.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
169. Ludza town again.

Here - private house in bright blue colors. In Western or Central Latvia no one will ever consider to use such color for his private house. But here, in the east, it is rather popular. When you cross the border and enter Russia, you would see that this seems to be the most popular color. Different cultures, different tastes.

·
Banned
4,330 Posts
165. Monument to "Crocodile Dandy" in Dundaga, northwest Latvia.
Dundaga has more inhabitants than some towns. :) Do you have more pictures from there ?

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 · (Edited)
But this one is in the opposite end of Latvia, between Daugavpils and Kraslava, close to Belarussian border.

171. View from Ververi precipice on Daugava river. This is the same river which flows through Riga - but here it is some 250 km upstreams. Still the river is quite large - you see this comparing the size of river with two fisherman in the boat. This is wild place and it takes several hours to access it by feet. But the beautiful, otherwordly views come as nice reward for this. By the way - again one of the most biodiverse places in Latvia with lots of species discovered each year. As climate becomes warmer, new species from Southeast Europe and even Asia are coming here along the enormous Daugava valley. There is specific scientific program at Daugavpils University investigating this process. Another thing - in the unpolluted river grow enormous fish. Some 50 km lower in this spring there was caught 2,2 m long and 68 kg heavy cat fish - in recent decades there have been cases when they kill and eat children swimming in the river.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Some 50 km lower in this spring there was caught 2,2 m long and 68 kg heavy cat fish - in recent decades there have been cases when they kill and eat children swimming in the river.
That's something incredible. Such things has happened in Latvia??? Could you give some sources where I could take further interest about that?

And also Kaltenes beach is shocking for me - had no clue there is such amazing place in Latvia. Many thanks!

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
Can't find any sources about children swallowed by cat fish, sorry. Have been reading it though. Regarding the recent catch of 68 kg fish near Jekabpils:
http://www.postfactum.lv/1/3/?id_news=21172

172. Ikskile secondary school in southeastern Latvia. Schools here very often have interesting architecture - so also the small Ikskile town has got such nice Art-Deco style building from 1920ies.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
173. Scenery near Jurkalne, western coast of Latvia. Here some 15 - 20 m high precipice is stretching for some 20 km along the sea. Throughout historical times here the sea is advancing and "eating away" the land. Somewhere in the far left corner of this picture there was the old Jurkalne village church - now there is sea. Another church was built in good distance from the sea in 1862.

·
Registered
14 Posts
NOT Ikskile, but ILUKSTE ;o)

Hello Gati!

It's a very nice picture of my hometown secondary school. I've passed 12 of my years in it. The only problem is that this school is not situated in Ikskile near Riga, but in ILUKSTE not far from Daugavpils :lol: Besides, the word Ikskile comes from Livian "Uks Kille": One town, but Ilukste comes from the lake "Lukstas" in Lithuania who gives birth to the river Ilukste that crosses my hometown.

Sincerely,

Pavils

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·
174. Vecsaliena palace near Daugavpils. There are some 10 nice historical palaces like this around Daugavpils in eastern Latvia - unfortunately most are in rather bad condition. This one still looks quite OK - it is used for municipal offices and similar purposes.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
They are sold already :D If somebody steals them, there is agency running and catching them.
Returned at 3clock in the night from expedition to the border of Belarus - was taking pictures there now. These numerous expeditions are the reason why there are no pictures every day.

This picture comes from other day some week ago.
175. View from Eglukalns watchtower, south from Daugavpils, south-east Latvia. This is one of popular skiing mountains for inhabitants of Daugavpils - but, as you can see, well worth a visit also in summer.
You can see Svente lake - this is pretty large and beautiful lake, 5 km long.

281 - 300 of 339 Posts