SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
27,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd start a thread for this one aswel, help keep better track of all the hotel proposals lately,

Application Details
Application Number 2012/01508/PA
Application Type Full Planning
Site Address Exchange Buildings Stephenson Place Birmingham B2 4PY
Proposal Change of use from offices (Use Class B1a) to form a 139 bedroom hotel (Use Class C1) and associated external alterations
Hotel will be a Premier Inn

This app shows no changes to the building as such, Hopefully another app will go in with changes to the exterior, as this is what happened with Auchinleck House and Ladywood House...

Otherwise...

Premier Inn Plans by sefton 66, on Flickr

It is proposed that the refurbishment of the building on the
tower levels to accommodate the hotel use will have minimal
impact on the external appearance of the building. The
glazing and cladding is in generally good order, but requires
localised repair and replacement in order to the meet the
heat loss, airtightness and acoustic performance required
by building regulations and the hotel operation.

The windows are proposed as fixed aluminium double
glazed units in a pale blue-grey colour

It is proposed that the canopy above the hotel entrance at
Ground Floor level will be decorated on its soffit to match
the recent decoration outside HSBC. The fascia will be clad
and coloured white.

:)

·
Registered Abuser
7,117 Posts
There is going to be so many options for Hotels in Birmingham in the next 4 years. Bit underwhelming this considering its above part of the entrance for the new Pallasades, however going to add further life to the City Center, so its fine.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
There is going to be so many options for Hotels in Birmingham in the next 4 years. Bit underwhelming this considering its above part of the entrance for the new Pallasades, however going to add further life to the City Center, so its fine.
^^
Yes lots of budget hotel applications everywhere, lets hope a few of the higher end make it too!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Good to see more life being brought to the city centre, but still wonder how many more hotels Birmingham city centre can accommodate. I guess they plan for the long term and rely on various office and residential developments completing, but even so, seems like lots of hotels in the pipeline - assuming they all actually get built.

·
Registered
27,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ there was an article posted some time last year that I remember saying that most hotels operate at a profit even averaging 50% occupancy rates over the year, given you struggle to get a hotel room when a major event at the ICC, NIA or NEC are on I think there's still plenty of extra capacity for more hotel proposals. They all just seem to be coming at once with 28 proposed or under construction last week according to the MIPIM report before the latest 2 come in today!

·
Brummie & Proud
2,924 Posts
I'm concerned that we may end up with another Cumberland House here. The Design & Access Statement talks about opaque glazing mixed with clear glazing. The drawing also shows the chequerboard pattern (very faint but still discernible).

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
I think this is awful news, to be honest. Left as it is or refurbished like this, it's still going to look like a mess on the street and this proposal just extends that likelihood for many many years.

·
Brummie Angeleno
14,683 Posts
I'm in the positive camp - you can't actually see the building from the street when close up. What does Erebus want? Another demolition of a perfectly solid core block?

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
I want a building that actually respects the architecture around it and actually gives something to New Street. This building is hideous and they're not doing anything to sort that. And you can clearly see this from street level... what are you on about?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I want a building that actually respects the architecture around it and actually gives something to New Street. This building is hideous and they're not doing anything to sort that. And you can clearly see this from street level... what are you on about?
Totally agree with this, this building and the awful ramp are main thoughfares and should never have been built in the first place. Demolish the Exchange building and ramp is the only way to go.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Based on the effort that some of the other developers are going to, like at Ladywood House, Auchinleck etc, I'm wondering if the planning committee will throw this out. They have already thrown back one for being bland, and this is twice as bad. Maybe time to get commenting.

·
Birmingham - #1
Banned.
22,507 Posts
Maybe we should do everything to get this stopped then, after all it is next to New Street which will be shiny and all, as Stigy said above, Ladywood House got turned back for being bland (even though another app was put it which wasn't so bland) I said before, this will end up looks like Premier Inn West Brom, bad move..

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Maybe we should do everything to get this stopped then, after all it is next to New Street which will be shiny and all, as Stigy said above, Ladywood House got turned back for being bland (even though another app was put it which wasn't so bland) I said before, this will end up looks like Premier Inn West Brom, bad move..

They look identical! Even has a ramp on the one side of it.. So many hotels being proposed in Brum now too, not that its a bad thing mind.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Says it all really. The building is horrible & this changes nothing. This needs to be rejected until they can be bothered to do something about it.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

·
Birmingham - #1
Banned.
22,507 Posts
Yeah, it needs a full re-clad, its a insult after HSBC had that huge re-fit, which at least makes the corner look better. I think the ramp needs to loose the canopy, and the tower be reclad similar to Motel One, Ladywood Tower.

Also as Sefton said the concrete could do with getting rid of.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts