SkyscraperCity Forum banner

EXETER | Former City Arcade, Fore Street | Student Accommodation | 4fl | Comp

4K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  cyril sneer 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
17/1980/FUL

City Arcade, Fore Street, St David's, Exeter, EX4.

Demolition of existing storey arcade and erection of 4 storey building with ground floor retail and 64 student bedspaces.

Fore Steet Exeter by C S, on Flickr

See less See more
#2 ·
Fore Street arcade Exeter by C S, on Flickr

It still looked like they were undertaking archaeological excavations when I walked past last night - This might become the new Quintana Gate. There was a article in the local rag the other day about the excavations - its quite a significant find apparently. But the developer was talking in the article about how excited they are to help the archaeological digs - That is bullshit. I bet the developer is already counting the cost of these expensive digs that they will have to pick up the bill for and are fretting about the delay it will cause them to perhaps have this built for September 2020.

#6 ·
As I often say...I would be interested to see it finished, without building work going on. How it fits into Fore Street, does it fit in well - as an improvement to the arcade, or will it stand out as bland or cheap 'student' accommodation? You can't always tell by the renders, particularly with the general streetscape around.

#7 ·
I agree. I think the planners perhaps considered the same thoughts and forced the developer to produce a more piecemeal design with a variation in elevation styles and materials to reflect the piecemeal architecture style of Fore Street. This is opposed to the singular block design of the original proposal below. Interestingly however the original proposal also envisaged retaining the arcade of shops.

Exeter City Arcade by C S, on Flickr

#8 · (Edited)
Starting to rise above all else on that back street street now.

Fore Street Exeter by C S, on Flickr

They could do with presenting those old buildings at the top of this street a bit better. Apparently that three storey building next to the development in that photo is a timber framed house dating from the 15th century, not that it looks like it today in its sorry state.

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.