SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pics I took today of one of the golden road towns north of London on Highway 4, Exeter. Another town in my many small town Ontario pictures to come.

Exeter has a population of 4,500, located 50 km north of London on Highway 4 in Southern Huron County, and is known as the home of the "WHITE SQUIRREL", as a lot of white squirrels are around this area and are celebrated and loved. A new village was designed for here in the 1860s and had become the centre of the small immediate area. With the growth of London, Huron, and Bruce railways, two small towns amalgamated to become a village in 1873. Exeter also serves as a midpoint from the Stratford/Kitchener area as a pitstop for people travelling to London, Sarnia, or Grand Bend. Most of these pictures are of Exeter's historic buildings. Exeter has a vew vacant stores downtown, including a Shoppers Drug Mart that moved to the big box part of town, and a Pizza Delight and a couple of other stores are for rent. But downtown Exeter is very charming. :)

Town Hall

Furniture Store, Dinney's

Parkette and mural in the middle of downtown

Where the Shoppers Drug Mart used to be

Coming soon, Clinton, Goderich, Kincardine, Owen Sound, among many other midwest towns and other towns/cities in Ontario people are requesting...:)

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Ugh, that reclad siding kills it. I know I've said this before, but people who do this should be tried for treason. Looking forward to your Goderich tour :)

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ I might, or I might get a ride with my sister next week, who is going to Owen Sound. Probably get a ride with my sister and take pictures then.

Besides, believe it or not, I have biked to Owen Sound before, along Highway 21, it isn't too bad. But Highway 6 north of Mount Forest is DIFFICULT to the max, very HILLY!

·
Former Toronto *********
912 Posts
Very cool Jaybird, you went up to exeter! That town creeps the hell out of me when I drive through it at night....it has such an eerie deserted isolated feeling to it, but there's a lot of cool early 20th century architecture there.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really, I never thought of Exeter being a "scary" place at night, I guess because it's so quiet there. That's an interesting observation, though, Lucky. I'll have to experiment for myself some time. Kind of like Mitchell, Exeter has a lot of nice architecture and taller buildings in its downtown, and feels bigger than a town of 4,500. Exeter's got a really good cute chocolate factory, where the store I work for buys their candies from. It's called Sugar and Spice.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I intend to, Tony. There is so much to see in that city. Same with Goderich. If Stratford didn't exist, Owen Sound would be the best city in Ontario (or even Canada) with less that 50,000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts