Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Historian, photographer
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is nothing better than the open road, to explore and discover new and fascinating places about your home state. To get out and enjoy the bright, sunny days, and experience it all. To start, one of my interests is in history, so why not start a trip out to the Isaac Shelby Cemetery State Historic Site just east of Junction City? Isaac Shelby, Kentucky's first and fifth governor, was a highly esteemed military, political, and educational individual whose accomplishments and influence were felt in nine states -- including Ohio, whose Shelby County was named for the governor. Upon his death in 1826, he was buried in the cemetery of his estate, known as Traveller's Rest.

1. Cemetery

2. Kentucky Route 300

Kentucky Route 300, which runs past Traveller's Rest, is a quiet two-lane highway between Junction City and Stanford.

A bit more local to Lexington, where I am residing at currently, is Boone Station State Historic Site. Seeking new frontiers, Daniel Boone departed from Fort Boonesborough in 1779 and established a pioneer station at what is now Boone Station, located north of the Kentucky River. It is near the present site of Athens in Fayette County, and was home to 15 to 20 families in the early 1780s.

3. Cemetery

Of course, there is nothing I like to do more than mountain bike! And what better place than Capitol View Park in Frankfort! Offering numerous mountain biking trails, basketball courts, softball and soccer fields and meandering paths, this city park in Kentucky's capital city is one that is unique!

Natural sinkholes provide a unique challenge and opportunity.

And finally, I end with Natural Bridge State Resort Park, adjacent to the Red River Gorge Geological Area. Natural Bridge offers a spectacular natural sandstone arch that is 78 feet long and 65 feet high. Besides the namesake arch, there are a variety of high limestone cliffs, smaller arches and other natural wonders. A sky lift is unique to this Kentucky park, along with unique water features such as Hoedown Island. (The guide has not fully been written at the time of this posting.)

6. Natural Bridge

7. Narrow trail

Yes, this is a trail that leads up to Natural Bridge. Let's just say that I am very skinny, and my backpack barely squeezed through this!

8. No comment

9. The Skylift

Since 1967, the Skylift has provided visitors the opportunity to see the top of the natural sandstone arch without the hike! The trek is only 1/2 mile but provides spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and flora.

10. Balanced rock

Hope you enjoyed this photo set from my home state of Kentucky!

·
Historian, photographer
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some more from Friday. I have yet to put these on any of my web-sites.

L&N Mt. Vernon subdivision, near Sinks, Kentucky. (I believe that is the correct name of the subdivision.)

L&N (now CSX) rail tunnel at Mullins, Kentucky.

Quarry at Mullins, Kentucky.

Stuart and myself at the quarry.

Golden hay awaits harvesting along Kentucky Route 1910 near Berea, Kentucky.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Some great pics-drove through Kentucky many years ago on my way to Florida- the Snowbird trek and was unfortunately, met with only rain, mud and lots of brown earth..Not like this! It really looks fantastic down there- gotta check it out now..

p5

1 - 7 of 7 Posts