SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Patrick Beckers, skyscraper photographer extraordinaire, has visited skyscrapers in 47 different cities around the world. He's seen most of the top 200 buildings in the world up close.

Now he has visited the Q1, and has the biggest and best collection of q1 pictures I've seen yet.

here is a sample, the rest are at http://www.skyscraperpicture.com/goldcoastcity.htm

·
Registered
76,977 Posts
wow, nice crisp photos and aerials which are always a treat.
i love the top and especially how it looks from the back. i wonder what patrick thought of it?
thanks damien.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Nice find, Q1 actually funnily enough always looks best from aerial views!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
there good pix but when you see the q1 in the middle of the day or somthing it never looks as good like the cladding and stuff but arfter 4pm or before 11am it looks heaps better

·
Developer
7,645 Posts
Patrick has always takes great skyscraper pics.

I wonder if Patrick went to the other Austrlian and is doing an update?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
His next update will be Brisbane (Perth, Melbourne and Sydney have already been represented) plus more photos from the Gold Coast.

·
Registered
76,977 Posts
love this shot

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
6,242 Posts
Still can not see , why ?

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
You know, Q1 looks fantastic at night, it's got a world class observation deck and the insides are top notch, it's got great lagoons and twirling metallic ribbons and stuff.

But dammit I'll never get over the bloody facade, what idiot greenlit that, I mean the stupid striping literally destroys the form of the tower, not to mention it's horrid green and non-reflective. It's like they picked the worst possible colour and ran with it. It was such a collosal miscalcualtion that I still can't get my head around it.

I mean it's still a fine tower, rates it's pants off in the world forums, but darn it, it could have been SO much better.

I guess it's only a problem for those of us who saw the original renders, for joe public who never did it probably looks great as it is.

Oh well, take two with Vision at least, hope Austcorp get it right! Thank goodness Sunland learnt their lesson and gave the Circle reflective glass.

BTW, to be honest I think this guys pictures are very unflattering, bad time of day that most of them were taken, and with Q1's non reflective glass he should have waited for a semi cloudy day to try and get at least some reflec off it, but alas the GC's constant sunshine is brutal.

Anyway, rant over:p

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Nice job.

Heh I was messing about with cladding the upper fin yesterday
and was surprised that it didn't make as much of a difference with original cladding.

Yeah Q1 would have been nice but remember the renders, the length of the spire and tallest tag were all marketing for the first landmark supertower on the GC.
For skyscraper nuts it had the expectations high.

But the facade was about reflectivity issues with other residences,
the half complete and transparent fin about impacting and cost
(cost also reduced the length of the spire down the building)
and about building sway with wind trapping
(Q1 doesn't have damper tanks like Eureka, excuse is that its built very stiff, enough not to have one, perhaps essentially not tall enough to need one)

I dont think Vision will have facade issues, its in a bigger city that's not mostly residential, it already has skyscrapers with reflective glass,
and its a landmark building which will surely be dressed up to suit
and its a different developer.

·
Registered
76,977 Posts
good one locke. but your photoshopy doesnt look real.thats where renders fall down. they never turn out like reality. you have to add windows and trimmings ect.you couldnt have a smaooth glassy facade with no indication of windows ect.i could be wrong.lol

·
retired
893 Posts
Curtain said:
Nice job.

But the facade was about reflectivity issues with other residences,
the half complete and transparent fin about impacting and cost
Do you have a source for this???! I have never heard this theory before. You can't get any more reflective then 50 Cavil Avenue, and this is literally next door to Q1. In my discussions with the council, they were just as surprised as the rest of us as with the appearance of the cladding as green rather then blue. It was joked by a certain council employee that they struggle to get a person two knock down a 2 story garage not built according to plans, so what hope would they have to force a company like sunland to reclad Q1 according to the orriginal application. I thought the colour change was brought about due to the unavailibility of the certain reflective glass? Anybody else heard this???

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Yeah I heard it was a supply thing as well, oh well, guess we just gotta live with it, but buildings do get reclad from time to time and I'd love them to reclad Q1, mind you that's a lot of glass:p

·
Registered
76,977 Posts
Q1 will never be reclad. are you guys kidding? lol, its a just a 500 unit highrise to body corp. they just want it be waterroof and easy to clean.
just on reflectivity, alot of highrise in sydney have had there faacde reduced in reflectivity due to sun shine creating havok with drivers and pedestrians a street level. HSBC is one example i can think of. In 1987 there were tests done and it had to be toned down due to angle hitting Sdney square. I can only imagine the reflectivity on the gold coast being hot climate Plus closness to beaches ect.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Q1 allready dose shine in the arfternoon sun its blinding on the right time of day the cladding looks better then the renders between 5pm and 7pm when the sun is going down it looks awsome and when the sunsets are pink the q1 shines pink it looks crazy

i had a dream it got reclad a few weeks ago

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
DeejayT said:
Do you have a source for this???! I have never heard this theory before. You can't get any more reflective then 50 Cavil Avenue, and this is literally next door to Q1.
I thought the colour change was brought about due to the unavailibility of the certain reflective glass? Anybody else heard this???
Interesting, but its 27 storeys versus 80 stories of highly reflective facade.
Reflectivity is always an issue and the green renders we had we're incredibly reflective, awesome come to think of it.

Unavailability of glass, was there a silicon shortage we missed?
Dunno, in context now with spire / fin I think it was a cut back too, but still the glass works pretty well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts