SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Ezekiel's Tomb in Iraq

1114 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  BigDreamer

I hope restoration of this site happens asap.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Sara that was amazing, thank you
i was just going to post that haha you beat me to it, i think its pretty cool...
Sara that was amazing, thank you
Your welcome :)

i was just going to post that haha you beat me to it, i think its pretty cool...
:lol: Yeah it is, not only for the tourist potential but the fact it shows how diverse Iraq is.
what a wonderful video Baghdad_sara. Thank you so much for posting :)

I have very strong view on this subject. Iraq has a very unique and ancient Jewish culture. Unfortunately not many people outside of Iraq know this. And many of the Iraqi Jews who were either forced out of Iraq, or chose to leave for economic and social reasons. So right now, there is hardly anyone in Iraq who can represent their views, and protect their almost forgotten heritage. Despite being one of the few Iraqis who can trace their heritage all they way back to ancient Babylon

I have very strong view on this subject. Iraq has a very unique and ancient Jewish culture. Unfortunately not many people outside of Iraq know this. And many of the Iraqi Jews who were either forced out of Iraq, or chose to leave for economic and social reasons. So right now, there is hardly anyone in Iraq who can represent their views, and protect their almost forgotten heritage. Despite being one of the few Iraqis who can trace their heritage all they way back to ancient Babylon
I feel very passionatly about this subject too, I have met two iraqi jews who love iraq as much as we do. The problem is Backwardness in iraq, we need to be a more tolerant people towards our Iraqi brothers from balck origin and jewish/chrisitan/sabea/yazidi rothers.

As a devout shia muslim, I pray for the return of the Iraqi jews who have lived in iraq longer than my Arab forefathers.

I have read a lot about the Jews of Iraq and how they contributed so much to Iraqi society especially on the business front, its sad to see all but disappear. Whether they want to return and live in Iraq shouldn't be forced on them but at least give them the right/option to visit, the government needs to think outside the box for once and start making changes, beginning with altering their legislation.
I feel very passionatly about this subject too, I have met two iraqi jews who love iraq as much as we do. The problem is Backwardness in iraq, we need to be a more tolerant people towards our Iraqi brothers from balck origin and jewish/chrisitan/sabea/yazidi rothers.
Yes backwardness is the source of many problems in Iraq, people need to start appreciating others and not pick on differences as a incentive for conflict.

As a devout shia muslim, I pray for the return of the Iraqi jews who have lived in iraq longer than my Arab forefathers.
+1
I know a lot of Iraqi Jews. I had 4 best friends as a friend, and two of them were Iraqi Jews. I know quite a few others as well.

I don't think Iraqi Jews will ever go back to Iraq. The older generation like my friends parents have a mixed view of Iraq, some of them don't like Iraq and some are proud to be Iraqi. But having said that, none of them have ever taken the initiative to teach their kids about Iraq or its culture, which is very different to how Jews from some other Muslim countries like Iran behave. I get the impression that they've deliberately raised their children in a way so they will be as un-Iraqi as possible and as distant from Iraq as possible. My friends parents never even speak Arabic with each other even though that was their first language, and I know one woman who is about 65 who claims she 'forgot' how to speak Arabic, which I find hard to believe considering she left Iraq when she was 20 and couldn't speak a word of English before that. I think Iraqi Jewish culture has basically become extinct, because the only people with a distinct Iraqi Jewish identity are the old people and they will die soon, and a large proportion of the old Iraqi Jews even try to distance themselves from their heritage.

It is quite sad that such an ancient people and culture can disappear almost over night.
See less See more
^^ very sad indeed !

It's a loss to the entire world, not just Iraq.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.