SkyscraperCity banner

2741 - 2760 of 4823 Posts

·
52,662 Posts
Pont de Tancarville

The Pont de Tancarville turns 55 years today. On 2 July, 1959, the bridge spanning the Seine River opened to traffic. It was the longest suspension bridge in Europe at the time, with a main span of 608 meters.

It remains one of the lesser-known suspension bridges in Europe, because it's not on a major route. Le Havre - Rouen / Paris traffic uses it.

Pont de Tancarville, Seine river, Normandie, France by pomihs, on Flickr

le havre pont de tancarville by cibikub, on Flickr

·
Deadpan Snarker
9,489 Posts
^^Rouen to Paris wouldn't use it, would it? Or am I wrong about where the bridge is?

·
Banned
5,848 Posts
No, you're right. From Paris it's after Rouen. Traffic from Paris to Le Havre would use it (passing Rouen).

Traffic coming northern and eastern France, Benelux and most of Germany would use Pont de Normandie going to Le Havre.

·
Deadpan Snarker
9,489 Posts
Traffic between Le Havre and Rouen may be what Chris meant. (I misread his punctuation.) An all*-autoroute route would if memory serves** use that bridge - the A131/A13/A139

*well, mostly.
**yes, I could look it up, but I can't be bothered. ;-P

·
Leudimin
No 41, not good
8,910 Posts
Damn French :bash:. Some weeks ago a rockslide happened right at the entrance of the Somport tunnel, and they first said it would be cleared 'as soon as possible', then they said it would be done by 20 July... and now they have pushed back to 1 August. And all due to that Natura 2000 thing :bash:. Meanwhile traffic is detoured up the mountain pass, which isn't a good road. Even worse is that since April no trucks have been able to go past the tunnel due to some works down the E07/N134 road, but at least they will end by the time the tunnel is cleared.

·
Banned
5,848 Posts
In case you are curious, there is t his neat PDF with total fare tolls between major points and a map with fares between them as well http://www.autoroutes.fr/FCKeditor/UserFiles/File/Tarifs 2014(3).pdf
Neat, but useless. This is much better:
http://www.autoroutes.fr/index.htm?lang=en

You put in any destination from anywhere in Europe, and it will tell you which route to take - like in Google Maps. If it's in France (or going to France from somewhere else) it will tell you how much toll you have to pay as well.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
The whole length of A54 motorway in Southeastern France. There are two stretches of A54 (Salon-de-Provence - Saint-Martin-de-Crau and Arles - Nîmes) joined by the expressway ringroad of Arles (N113 and N572). First one is dead straight through La Crau plain, second one climbs up to Nîmes next to the Camargue.

And expressways D20 in D9 between Marignane and Aix-en-Provence. They serve Marseille-Provence airport, the huge Airbus Helicopter plant and Aix-en-Provence TGV station (which is nowhere near Aix-en-Provence). There's a 1+1 section which is a round-the-clock bottleneck.

·
Banned
5,848 Posts
No, you have that option when subscribing to Liber-T. Otherwise you pay either in cash or with cards using machines or manned toll-booths.

·
Banned
5,848 Posts
Operation UK-FRANCE-I-A-D-L-B-F-UK

Job UK running through Calais, Mont Blanc, Brenner, Austria, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium and back to Calais and UK

France, Jura to Mont Blanc

Jura

Coming up towards the Alps

Mont Blanc

Towards the Mont Blanc Tunnel. All HGV traffic hast to stop here and undergo an inspection before entering the tunnel

Toll plaza and entrance to Mont Blanc Tunnel

Mont Blanc Tunnel

I will post the next stretch in Italy after dinner :cheers:

2741 - 2760 of 4823 Posts