SkyscraperCity Forum banner
5281 - 5300 of 5384 Posts

58,911 Posts
A new road opened to traffic today on the outskirts of Bordeaux, a realignment of D1 near Taillan-Médoc. It is approximately 7 kilometers long. This makes it possible to travel to the peninsula west of the Gironde without having to travel on surface streets of the Bordeaux metro area.

Location of project: OpenStreetMap

· Registered
7,929 Posts
^^ I think it's partially D1215E1. The southern segment is likely an unsigned "route Métropolitaines" though.

· Registered
7,929 Posts
The connection to the existing D1215E1 didn't look advanced on May 2022 GSV. Maybe just the segment from the roundabout to the south has been opened?

· Registered
A orillas del Arlanzón
27,315 Posts
Regarding Bordeaux, is there any plan to build a second beltway in the south? I remember having lots of traffic trying to travel south to nort (for example, traffic from Hendaye to Paris).

· Registered
A orillas del Arlanzón
27,315 Posts
Not really, the current strategy is to increase capacity on the existing infrastructure. They will finish widening the west side of the A630 beltway next year, and there are substantial plans to increase the capacity at the north side, including the final section of the A10.
Thanks. I like that approach, it is reasonably cheap and it will probably help. I can see in google maps that they will go from 2x2 to 3x3. I suppose that building a new betlway will also require a new bridge over Garone river and that would be really expensive.

· Registered
1,642 Posts
Not to mention the local environmental issues you have to tackle, like crossing Natura 2000 area's. I must add the beltway and connecting parts are bottlenecks but imho not in such a dramatic way that an extra beltway would be warranted. Also you can't get more traffic from Spain than what passes through the 2x3 of the A-63 of course. And even less at the moment as the final part northwards from Salles is only 2x2 for the time being.

· Landes-40-SW of F.
218 Posts
Thanks. I like that approach, it is reasonably cheap and it will probably help. I can see in google maps that they will go from 2x2 to 3x3. I suppose that building a new betlway will also require a new bridge over Garone river and that would be really expensive.
The politicians of the region as well as professionals have been talking about it for more than 20 years. The best would be to build a bypass from the exit of the A 660 through the south and east of Bordeaux. This would connect the A62 towards the southeast, the A89 towards the east, the free N10 taken by a lot of trucks and end at the A10 to the north.
The problem remains the budget with two bridges to be built over the Garonne and the Dordogne rivers as well as the crossing of vineyards (but far from being the best ones of the region). With of course the opposition of the residents. The region has become very attractive, unfortunately for us. Population and prices have exploded.

· Registered
A orillas del Arlanzón
27,315 Posts
The politicians of the region as well as professionals have been talking about it for more than 20 years. The best would be to build a bypass from the exit of the A 660 through the south and east of Bordeaux. This would connect the A62 towards the southeast, the A89 towards the east, the free N10 taken by a lot of trucks and end at the A10 to the north.
Can you draw that on a map please? :)

· Landes-40-SW of F.
218 Posts
Can you draw that on a map please? :)
you can see page 3 and 6 but whole file for explanations (in french)

map on this page:

58,911 Posts
Pas de l'Escalette is a mountain pass of former N9 in Southern France. Hard to believe this was the main road to Millau until A75 opened in 1994!

N9 Pas de l'Escalette 02
by European Roads, on Flickr

N9 Pas de l'Escalette 04

N9 Pas de l'Escalette 06

N9 Pas de l'Escalette 07

N9 Pas de l'Escalette 08

N9 Pas de l'Escalette 09

N9 Pas de l'Escalette 12

58,911 Posts
A declaration of public utility (DUP) has been issued to expand N57 through Besançon to a four lane expressway. This is a 3.5 km segment between L'Amitié and Beure, including the bridge across the Doubs River.

The current N57 is mostly a two-lane road with grade separation, except for a short four lane segment between two interchanges which has a pedestrian crossing with traffic lights.

At Beure, there is a roundabout with the southern bypass of Besançon (also N57) and N83, both roads have significant elevation changes when climbing out of the Doubs Valley.

· Registered
23,284 Posts
I have a notion this might need a tunnel like the one on the southern bypass of Besancon and even the canal tunnel on the river Doubs itself that goes under the Citadel.
A declaration of public utility (DUP) has been issued to expand N57 through Besançon to a four lane expressway. This is a 3.5 km segment between L'Amitié and Beure, including the bridge across the Doubs River.

58,911 Posts
A 2.4 km segment of D3508 (Rocade d'Annecy) has been upgraded to a 2x2 voie express. This is northwest of Annecy, between D1508 and D1201.

This was a single carriageway express road that previously carried 33,000 vehicles per day on just two lanes. The still two-lane western ring road is even busier with 40,000 vehicles per day.

· Banned
648 Posts
Regarding Bordeaux, is there any plan to build a second beltway in the south? I remember having lots of traffic trying to travel south to nort (for example, traffic from Hendaye to Paris).
In the curent anti-automobile, anti-big infrastructure climate of France, it's a big NON.

The Green mayor of Bordeaux is instead planning to build a cable car over the Garonne River. 🤡

Cable cars are the new craze in French cities, after tram lines in the 1990s-2010s. The French Greens are in general opposed both to urban motorways/roads AND subway lines. In Toulouse a Green association has launched yet another lawsuit against Toulouse's 3rd subway line, which the Greens oppose: Un nouveau recours contre la 3ligne de métro à Toulouse. In Bordeaux there's no subway to start with (center-right politicians were too conservative to build one, and the current Green mayor is of course opposed to building a subway network).

5,598 Posts
The French Greens are in general opposed both to urban motorways/roads AND subway lines.
Surprisingly, the Belgian Greens are also opposed to subway lines (and of course motorways). Luckily the 3rd Brussels subway line was too advanced already when they became a major party in Brussels a few years ago.

· Registered
7,139 Posts
Surprisingly, the Belgian Greens are also opposed to subway lines (and of course motorways). Luckily the 3rd Brussels subway line was too advanced already when they became a major party in Brussels a few years ago.
It's not so surprising. The Green party of Germany, too, opposes building subway lines in cities.

5281 - 5300 of 5384 Posts