SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Birdland Enthusiast
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The purpose of this thread is to show the expansion that Towson University has experienced in recent decades and more importantly, in recent years. Construction projects dominate the campus and the amazing thing is that this is only the beginning. Construction includes new dorms, the new liberal arts building and the power plant expansion. Towson University also announced that rather than renovating the Towson center, they have decided to construct a completely new arena...so yeah, looks like the Tigers are starting to catch up with the Terps.

2 New Dorms, First phase of west village, 11 more expected.

These guys are dicks...most of them anyway.

Towson Run Apartments were constructed in the 80's while Millenium Hall pictured earlier was completed in 2000.

Towards main part of campus.

Our School Newspaper

Notice the guy with Jagermeister. We keep it classy.

First phase of new liberal arts building.

Looking towards new dorms, the area is referred to as west village.

New Garage Expansion and view of the Res Tower

Part of new garage stands over stream.

At Towson, we hold our administrators accountable!

Residence Tower, known as res tower among students, said like rez.

Phase 2 of Lib. Arts Building will extend over this parking lot.

Power Plant Expansion

During school this area is packed with students chillin on the grass.

The Beach, lots of hot chicas tan here on warm days, its nice.

This walkway is set to be demolished by the end of the summer.

Bridge To Glenn Dorms, more like communist block...seriously though over 2000 students call this complex home during the school year.

New Center for the Arts expansion.

Not sure whats going on with the Union

Pilot program for Maryland's first year round school, sounds like fun, not.

Better than the MTA

Newer side of 11,000 seat Unitas Stadium.

Towson Center

BOOOH...these people like to take away student rights such as the ability to protest and tailgating before sporting events...lame.

Math building, glad I don't have anymore classes here.

First Rainbow I've seen in 5 years, kind of odd it popped up once I was done taking pictures.

Yeah so thats it, hopefully you enjoyed the pics and got a little sense of the culture and expansion of Towson. I plan on taking pics of the actual town of Towson soon...peace out.

420 fo life

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Nice pics. An insider look at all the construction going on at TU campus. The next few years are gonna be exciting, with all this projects finished the campus is going to look great and more appealing to new applicants. I'm still trying to decide where to go ( TU or UMBC ) ...

·
Birdland Enthusiast
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, thats a tough choice. I hear UMBC is better in an academic sense than Towson, but I'm not sure how the "college life" is there. I will tell you that Towson has been a great experience for me thus far and I've have met so many people from different places and backrounds. With out a doubt my whole perspective on life and the way things work has been enhanced since arriving at Towson. I would recommend it to anyone able to balance there school work with some partying. Towson has exceeded my expectations.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
HA!

Towson has seen some development in recent years, but it still pales in comparison to the work its big brother down the road has been doing. Right now, they're focused on M Square, a research park being constructed next to campus.

·
Baltimore/DC Corridorite
582 Posts
Yeah, thats a tough choice. I hear UMBC is better in an academic sense than Towson, but I'm not sure how the "college life" is there. I will tell you that Towson has been a great experience for me thus far and I've have met so many people from different places and backrounds. With out a doubt my whole perspective on life and the way things work has been enhanced since arriving at Towson. I would recommend it to anyone able to balance there school work with some partying. Towson has exceeded my expectations.
lol what %age of these people from "different" places were from the nyc metro area? :lol:
the thing that makes towson better than cp (the outside environment that is) is towson. if only the university could start clamoring for the yellow line if it hasn't already. cp already has the green line and I bet will have at least 2 on campus purple line stops.

·
Birdland Enthusiast
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol what %age of these people from "different" places were from the nyc metro area? :lol:
the thing that makes towson better than cp (the outside environment that is) is towson. if only the university could start clamoring for the yellow line if it hasn't already. cp already has the green line and I bet will have at least 2 on campus purple line stops.
Haha, very good point...Towson does have an extremely large student population consisting of people from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, and Conn. But a recent report stated that they were recieving more and more applications from states such as California. There's no question that guido's have some power on campus, especially in greek life.

Waj, it doesn't surprise me that CP is working on a bio park because they're considered a research institution, something that Towson is not at this point in time.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I think UMBC has got to have the worse campus ever. First, it feels like its out in the middle of no where. Second, it is out in the middle of no where. Third, too many open fields. Fourth, go there on a sunny saturday afternoon and you will see no students out in the endless open fields. They should have seriously condensed that campus.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Towson had

1,200 living on campus in 1980
3,000 in 1984
5,400 in 2008
7,600 by 2014

Towson by 2018 will have 20,000 undergrads, 9,000-10,000 living on campus, 17,000-20,000 seat football stadium. I see a University of Delaware/UMass type of school.

I think UMBC has got to have the worse campus ever. First, it feels like its out in the middle of no where. Second, it is out in the middle of no where. Third, too many open fields. Fourth, go there on a sunny saturday afternoon and you will see no students out in the endless open fields. They should have seriously condensed that campus.

·
Baltimore/DC Corridorite
582 Posts
liam- lotsa nyc students at umcp as well. it seemed like u were either from moco or the nyc area. and uh now we know what you do in your spare time lol. guidos lol.

yeah umbc does seem to be dead. and not in a hopping area either. airlift the campus to eeowings mills by the metro stop. tod, baby :) use eminent domain to get land. :)

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
i'm not a graduate of UMBC, but i think it's good school overall. it could be alot worse....

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
great pics of TU, Liam0711!!! it's definitely one of the premier schools in the baltimore metro area.:eek:kay:

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
UMBC may finally be coming into it's own. The hoops team made the NCAA's for the first time, and the Chess team is consistently one of the best in the country...they make the Chess Final Four just about every year.

The problem with the campus is that it's relatively new...it only dates back to the late '60's. There is not much in the way of classic architecture..in the early days it had more of a community college feel and was in fact a commuter school at first. I attended back in that era and planners envisioned it becoming a campus rivalling College Park in size. It's just taking far longer than they thought...hence all the open space.

·
Birdland Enthusiast
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My state government professor at Towson said one of the reasons UMBC was constructed instead of expanding Towson (back in the 1960s) was linked to the kickbacks that Spiro Agnew would get for construction projects. He said something like Agnew knew that a completely new school would involve more construction thus more $ for the big man himself. Don't you just love how our politicians are always looking out for the better of the public!?

I'm aware that Towson also went through much expansion during that period, but the addition of UMBC to the Baltimore metro area kind of prevented us from having a true power house university like college park. The question now is how big and powerful will Towson become by 2020, when much of the current expansion is slated to be finished. Like I stated before, those 2 new dorms are the first of around 13 totally new dorms in West Village...more expansions around the campus are imminent. While my pictures show a good amount of construction, its important to remember this is only the tip of the iceberg and once the power plant is fully operational, I expect the pace of construction to increase.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I wonder if land constraints

could limit Towson? The West Village Complex will add 3,000 beds and bring the total beds to about 7,600. I also heard talk about Ward/West hall being torn down for an additional 800-900 dorm beds. I wonder if Student Administration could be moved to York/Terrace Dale or Sheppard to make way for another big dorm at York and Cross Campus. I see 20,000 undergrads with 9,000 beds on campus plus 1,000 students living off campus (within 2 miles of University)for a total of 10,000 living at or near the school.

Towson can get only get to the the size of Rutgers if one day they aquire the Verrsailles apartment complex.

My state government professor at Towson said one of the reasons UMBC was constructed instead of expanding Towson (back in the 1960s) was linked to the kickbacks that Spiro Agnew would get for construction projects. He said something like Agnew knew that a completely new school would involve more construction thus more $ for the big man himself. Don't you just love how our politicians are always looking out for the better of the public!?

I'm aware that Towson also went through much expansion during that period, but the addition of UMBC to the Baltimore metro area kind of prevented us from having a true power house university like college park. The question now is how big and powerful will Towson become by 2020, when much of the current expansion is slated to be finished. Like I stated before, those 2 new dorms are the first of around 13 totally new dorms in West Village...more expansions around the campus are imminent. While my pictures show a good amount of construction, its important to remember this is only the tip of the iceberg and once the power plant is fully operational, I expect the pace of construction to increase.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts