SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Day 8

September 15th

Well, this was supposed to be the day that we would just pack our stuff and go to the airport to take our return flight to Brazil but this was not possible lol

For some reason the photos I took this day had some focus problem, so the quality is reduced. I hope you don't mind.

Another cloudy winter morning in Santiago (view from my hotel):

View from Principado de Asturias by felipeeaz, on Flickr

We took the bus to the airport and made a "last" ride in the city. Close to Parque de Las Esculturas, view of Costanera Center:

Costanera Center by felipeeaz, on Flickr

In the bus people were already commenting about a major flight controllers strike that was affecting the whole country, although we were not sure if our flight had also been cancelled as many others.

Santiago International Airport by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Later we found out that all the flights of the day were cancelled, including ours.

Cancelled flights by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Our flight rebooking was scheduled to September 17th at 1 AM, so we would have one extra day in Chile. The airline staff told us that according to the chilean law, in case of strike in the airport the airline was not obligated to afford food, transport and hotel to the affected passengers. So, unfortunately after some insistence, we had to come back to Santiago and in practice afford everything.

Coming back by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Streets of Santiago by felipeeaz, on Flickr

After searching for cheaper hotels, without much success, a friend's acquaintance that was also in Santiago told us about a good and cheaper apart hotel in Downtown Santiago. So after a call we discovered that there were still vacancies so we decided that we would stay there.

As almost everybody was quite stressed, we didn't leave the apart hotel this day.

The view from there (30th floor, if I'm not mistaken) was quite beautiful, the Andes, Costanera Center, Cerro San Cristóbal and the Downtown were visible from there:

Santiago by felipeeaz, on Flickr

View from VR Suites by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Centro de Santiago by felipeeaz, on Flickr

·
Registered
19,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Day 9

September 16th

Day of intense emotions! :lol:

Despite the stress caused by the flight cancellation, this extra day was good since we had more time to buy some stuff that we didn't have time before and we could visit more calmly Parque Araucano.

In the morning we left the hotel to go to Parque Arauco Mall (we used the metro to get there). After leaving Manquehue Station (in Las Condes, already close to the mall) we had to walk a little bit to get to our destination. We walked through a street called Rosario Norte, in the middle of a business district with many modern corporate buildings.

Rosario Norte St by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Rosario Norte by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Rosario Norte by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Rosario Norte, Las Condes in Santiago by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Las Condes or Vitacura? by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Crossing the street to get to Parque Araucano:

Close to Parque Aracuano by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Las Condes - Santiago de Chile by felipeeaz, on Flickr

After that we got a urban park called Parque Araucano. I really loved it, the view is amazing (Andes and modern buildings). I took many pictures:

Cloudy afternoon by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Parque Araucano View by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Parque Araucano and Costanera Center by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Glassy Buildings in Las Condes, Santiago - Chile by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Parque Araucano by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Parque Araucano by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Later we bought some stuff in Parque Arauco Mall and also had lunch there.
After that we returned to the hotel at 4 PM since our transport to the airport was scheduled for 8 PM:

Close to Parque Arauco Mall by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Manquehue by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Already close to the hotel:

Downtown Santiago by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Downtown by felipeeaz, on Flickr

The Earthquake!

After some hours we had already packed our luggage again. Our group was divided into 3 apartments, we had agreed to be in the lobby at 7:45 PM to wait for the transport.

For some reason some people of my apartment were a bit delayed, so at 7:54 PM everybody was still there. At this exact time everything started shaking a lot, since I had never felt an earthquake before, I got completely scared (just like everybody else of the group lol). We were in the 14th floor, so we felt the earthquake even worse.

The first quake had a magnitude of 8.3 (or 8.4 according to GUC) and lasted for at least 2 minutes (I think).
When we were at the emergency stairs, the second quake with a magnitude of 7.1 started, when we got to the lobby we noticed that some parts of lining were falling, so we ran to the middle of the street.

When we were there we felt other aftershocks, one of 6.8 at 8:16 PM and the worst one of 7.6 at 8:18 PM. As everybody got scared when we noticed that the building was shaking, we left our luggage behind.

A little after we decided to go back to pick our luggage (the hotel staff was very helpful). In spite of a 40-minute delay our transport normally took us to the airport.

When we got there the situation was kinda chaotic because the staff of some airline had been evacuated from the airport causing the formation of long lines of passengers waiting to be attended.

Airporto after the earthquake by felipeeaz, on Flickr

In the airport there was just minor damage, just some pieces of the lining fell and some parts of the floor were broken:

Minor damage by felipeeaz, on Flickr

September 17th

After some time waiting and feeling many other aftershocks, including one of M6.0 and other of M6.5, we finally could go to the departure lounge. Many people were very scared even more due to the images of coastal cities being invaded by the tsunami waves that TVs were showing.

Our flight delayed 3 hours, so we felt two other strong aftershocks one of M6.0 and other of M6.6 (in this one, the plane was already in soil and placed on the airport pier, and it was felt with a very big intensity in the airport area, many people started screaming and invaded the pier in order to get to the airplane) According to some people that were at the airport with us, the airport area has some soil difference that for some reason amplifies the intensity of the earthquakes.

I got very impressed with the chilean infrastructure, in other countries such a strong earthquake would have caused a lot of destruction and deaths, but in Chile there was almost no damage related to the earthquake itself. Even though the locals were scared, they looked much more calm than the foreigners.

At 4 AM we finally left Santiago and 5 hours later we got to São Paulo, where I took those pictures:

B747 British Airways at GRU Airport by felipeeaz, on Flickr

B747 Lufthansa and B777 TAM at Guarulhos International Airport by felipeeaz, on Flickr

At 10 PM we took a 4-hour flight to Belém. I took those pictures of São Paulo (1st picture) and Brasília (2nd picture) from the airplane:

Aerial View of São Paulo by felipeeaz, on Flickr

Brasília from the air by felipeeaz, on Flickr

At 2 PM we got to Belém.

·
Registered
19,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Some videos of the earthquake (not mine)

So, that was my trip to Chile!

Absolutely spectacular country with a very nice people. Even though the last day was a bit scary due to the earthquake, I would definitely come back if I had the chance. After this trip, Santiago is easily one of my favorite cities! :cheers:

·
Feel the pungency!
27,866 Posts
Wow, talk about a big surprise! When I started viewing this thread, it didn't come to my mind at all that you might have been there during the earthquake. So you were lucky (or rather unlucky) enough to experience at least 8 shocks ranging in magnitude from 6.0 to 8.4! :uh: And I thought the 4.7 and 5.1 earthquakes I have experienced in the past were scary :lol: You must have been cursing those air controllers so much after every shock since it was their strike that kept you in Chile that day :lol: But seriously, I think the videos do not transmit well the intensity of the shaking, or am I wrong? Anyway, I'm glad you got back safely!

The airline staff told us that according to the chilean law, in case of strike in the airport the airline was not obligated to afford food, transport and hotel to the affected passengers.
:bash:

Did you notice how the face of this woman looks distorted? :lol: (in reality the nose and mouth must be concealed by something)

·
Registered
19,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Wow, talk about a big surprise! When I started viewing this thread, it didn't come to my mind at all that you might have been there during the earthquake. So you were lucky (or rather unlucky) enough to experience at least 8 shocks ranging in magnitude from 6.0 to 8.4! :uh:
I think +8.0 are not so usual, so we were quite unlucky :lol:
The funniest part is that our group had spent the whole day commenting that we couldn't leave Chile without experiencing an earthquake and a few hours later... :nuts:
From the moment of the first earthquake there were at least 44 aftershocks until the moment we left Chile, the ones I described were just the worst quakes (+6.0).

And I thought the 4.7 and 5.1 earthquakes I have experienced in the past were scary :lol: You must have been cursing those air controllers so much after every shock since it was their strike that kept you in Chile that day :lol:
Oh yes, we got even more pissed off! :lol:

Where did you feel thoses earthquakes?

But seriously, I think the videos do not transmit well the intensity of the shaking, or am I wrong? Anyway, I'm glad you got back safely!
Well, in our apartment when the earthquake started the shaking was enough to throw some small furniture (like flowerplots) to the ground. So, the building shook a lot!

But we didn't have any injury. In spite of the emotional distress, we got back completely safe!

Did you notice how the face of this woman looks distorted? :lol: (in reality the nose and mouth must be concealed by something)
I just noticed now :nuts:
That's a little creepy :sly:
I think there was another girl beside her. The other girl's hair must be covering her face.

·
Illustrator
6,477 Posts
I have read the thread now. I can really imagine what it must have felt with so much unluck at the same time, if it wasn't for the strike you wouldn't have gone through the earthquake. 4,3 is the largest earthquakle I have felt lol (in Sweden) and people thought it was scarry. Do you think it iwas an interesting experience or just scarry?

Pictures are really nice, Chile looks like a very modern and well developed country.

·
Feel the pungency!
27,866 Posts
The funniest part is that our group had spent the whole day commenting that we couldn't leave Chile without experiencing an earthquake and a few hours later... :nuts:
:lol:
How many people were in your group by the way?

Where did you feel thoses earthquakes?
The M5.1 one in Lebanon and the M4.7 one in Greece. But the second we felt more intensely because the epicenter was only 16km from the city with a shallow hypocenter, while the first struck somewhere between Lebanon and Cyprus. There was an even stronger quake in Lebanon in 2005 I think, but I wasn't there.

4,3 is the largest earthquakle I have felt lol (in Sweden)
I didn't know that Sweden experienced earthquakes at all!

·
Registered
19,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have read the thread now. I can really imagine what it must have felt with so much unluck at the same time, if it wasn't for the strike you wouldn't have gone through the earthquake. 4,3 is the largest earthquakle I have felt lol (in Sweden) and people thought it was scarry. Do you think it iwas an interesting experience or just scarry?

Pictures are really nice, Chile looks like a very modern and well developed country.
Actually, it was a pretty interesting experience. At the moment I was nervous because I didn't know what to expect, but after I noticed that everything was functional and everybody was fine I realized that I had just lived a really rare life experience (for brazilians at least lol). I had never experienced any earthquake, so it was quite interesting too.

:lol:
How many people were in your group by the way?
Our group was composed by 14 people among friends and relatives of mine. Traveling in group made the trip even better.

The M5.1 one in Lebanon and the M4.7 one in Greece. But the second we felt more intensely because the epicenter was only 16km from the city with a shallow hypocenter, while the first struck somewhere between Lebanon and Cyprus. There was an even stronger quake in Lebanon in 2005 I think, but I wasn't there.
Did those earthquakes cause any major damages?

·
Feel the pungency!
27,866 Posts
Did those earthquakes cause any major damages?
The one in Greece didn't cause any damage, while the one in Lebanon caused plaster and bricks to fall from some rundown buildings on the streets below. Luckily it happened at dawn when there was nobody out. Had it been an earthquake of the magnitude you experienced, half the country would have been wiped out! :cripes:

·
Registered
21,222 Posts
Faan, what a great experience you had. And I think the earthquake was the cherry of the pie. I am Chilean and my wife is Norwegian. She is very jealous of me because she has not experienced anything like a Chilean earthquake. It is quite an experience.

·
Registered
19,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Faan, what a great experience you had. And I think the earthquake was the cherry of the pie. I am Chilean and my wife is Norwegian. She is very jealous of me because she has not experienced anything like a Chilean earthquake. It is quite an experience.
It was truly an interesting experience! :lol:

nice! definitely a photo tour for us here.
I'm glad you liked! :)

·
My God is always eternal!
2,968 Posts
Wow... what a fantastic thread FAAN! I go to Santiago de Chile in January 2017. Do you have suggestions for hotels and tour guides in the city?

·
Registered
19,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Wow... what a fantastic thread FAAN!
Thanks, I'm happy you liked it!

I go to Santiago de Chile in January 2017. Do you have suggestions for hotels and tour guides in the city?
That's nice!

Well, the hotel that I stayed was Principado de Asturias located very close to Baquedano Station (metro). This was particularly convenient because you can reach many interesting tourist points using the good metro system of Santiago. The hotel is overall ok.

Another good option (that I wasn't aware before the trip) are the apart hotels, good price, complete and many are located in the best areas. In the last day I stayed in VR Suites, located in the Downtown (Centro) and a few blocks from Palácio de La Moneda, 4 blocks from La Moneda Station and not so far from Plaza de Armas.

So, the tip that I would give you is to choose hotels closest as possible to the metro stations, since is good, cheap, fast and you can go to almost everywhere;

I'd suggest you to don't miss the chance of visiting:

- Chilean Wineries that are super beautiful, interesting and offer very good wines (I visited Concha y Toro, but I've heard that Valle de Colchagua is also great);
- Mercado Central that has some very good restaurants (El Galeón Restaurant was great!) and an interesting architecture and sea products;
- Centro, where are located the Plaza de Armas (if you have the chance visit the inside of Catedral Metropolitana), Palácio de La Moneda (very imposing buiding where is located Chile's government - if you can, go during the morning to watch the Cambio de Guardia ceremony that happens every 2 days);
- Cerro Santa Lucía (hill), where the city was founded and there's a nice view of the city. Crossing the avenue you can find a great handicraft fair, very interesting;
- Cerro San Cristóbal where you can go to the zoo and then take the funicular to the summit and see of the best views of the city;
- Sky Costanera, the top of Costanera Center, the tallest building of Latin America. The best hour to go there is during the sunset, the view is breathtaking!;
- Bellavista neighborhood that is filled with restaurants and pubs. Patio Bellavista is located there. It's very pleasant gastronomic center with some good restaurants and local handicraft stores.
- Urban Parks of Santiago. Parque Araucano and Parque Bicentenario are some of the best;
- Museo de la Memoria y los Derechos Humanos, an interesting museum about the Chilean Dictatorship.
- Have a lunch in El Giratório Restaurant. Great food and spectacular view of the city and the mountains.

Close to Santiago:

- Take a tour in the Andes, the landscapes are incredible;
- Visit the coastal cities of Valparaíso and Viña del Mar. I stayed there just one morning and afternoon and it wasn't enough to see everything;
- In the highway between Santiago and Valparaíso there's a place called Los Hornitos de Curacaví, it's a very interesting restaurant with waiters wearing traditional clothes, they serve chilean foods and drinks, I had a breakfast there;
- Isla Negra, that I heard that is very beautiful but I couldn't go there.

Most of these tours you can buy with Turistik, they have tours in english, spanish and portuguese. Another tip is to avoid using taxis.

There's probably much more but those are the places that I remember now.

·
Registered
19,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Great thread, thanks for exposing me to this very interesting city, it's the first time I see pics of it.
I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures :)

Good to know you escaped just fine from an... "interesting" experience! I was wondering what you were up to, recently. ;)
That was a lifetime experience :lol:
I've been studying a lot so I don't have as much time as I used to have for SSC :(

21 - 40 of 41 Posts