SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Each visit to Melbourne for me requires the need to visit somewhere new. One such place was Hawthorn. I had been to Hawthorn on a previous trip and that was for a uni ball.

Now it was time to walk it and capture it.

This batch focuses on the main drag - Glenferrie Road.

IMG_4074
by fabianamuso, on Flickr

IMG_4077

Not only can a man get a haircut, but also stock up on the latest clothes.

IMG_4081

IMG_4083

IMG_4086

IMG_4087

IMG_4093

IMG_4097

IMG_4098

IMG_4099

IMG_4101

IMG_4102

IMG_4104

IMG_4111

IMG_4115

IMG_4119

IMG_4128

Glenferrie Oval

IMG_4123

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Melbourne has sub-standard, ugly footpaths on many of its main streets. It should take a lesson from Adelaide and Perth on how to pave and make attractive footpaths, as well as better maintenance of heritage facades. Not good enough for a supposed wealthy and cosmopolitan city.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Melbourne has sub-standard, ugly footpaths on many of its main streets. It should take a lesson from Adelaide and Perth on how to pave and make attractive footpaths, as well as better maintenance of heritage facades. Not good enough for a supposed wealthy and cosmopolitan city.
You're only basing that opinion on one small section in an old suburb. There are a number of other suburbs where it's totally different.

·
WARREN
8,350 Posts
Nice photos.

Glenferrie Rd is nothing special but it's a "useful" sort of place to go - as in it has the sorts of businesses and services that people go to on a daily basis, not just luxury clothing stores and bars. Not a pretentious area for an inner suburb due to all the uni students around there.

Kew Junction is similar too.

Definitely better than Camberwell though.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
You're only basing that opinion on one small section in an old suburb. There are a number of other suburbs where it's totally different.
Maybe, but there are also many high street footpaths that are sub-standard...undeniable, and what also surprises me is that there are too many overheard power-lines in Melbourne's inner suburbs too. Not good enough, infrastructure needs to improve. Come to Adelaide and Perth's inner-city areas to see how it's done!

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I actually agree whole-heartedly, Skymantle. Melbourne takes apathy to a new level on a lot of these things. Shoddy fixed awnings, ripped and faded canvas awnings, peeling paint on beautiful victorian facades, a mess of overhead wires everywhere (in an earthquake free-zone, so no excuse not to put them underground), basic, crooked and underwhelming streetlights....I could go on.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Maybe, but there are also many high street footpaths that are sub-standard...undeniable, and what also surprises me is that there are too many overheard power-lines in Melbourne's inner suburbs too. Not good enough, infrastructure needs to improve. Come to Adelaide and Perth's inner-city areas to see how it's done!
So you prefer Perth's bland, extremely gentrified, overly clean streetscapes?

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice photos.

Glenferrie Rd is nothing special but it's a "useful" sort of place to go - as in it has the sorts of businesses and services that people go to on a daily basis, not just luxury clothing stores and bars. Not a pretentious area for an inner suburb due to all the uni students around there.

Kew Junction is similar too.

Definitely better than Camberwell though.
Glenferrie Road is actually promoted in the tourist guides as one of the main street shopping strips to visit.

·
Wolf in sheep's clothing
3,510 Posts
Most of the overhead clutter is there for trams. Did not realise that Adelaide and perth's buses represent world class infrastructure.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Most of the overhead clutter is there for trams. Did not realise that Adelaide and perth's buses represent world class infrastructure.
Compared to Melbourne's high streets, Adelaide and Perth's are world class indeed. They usually have underground electricity, well paved footpaths, wide roads, attractive and well maintained landscaping and 'healthier' looking buildings. Melbounre looks almost third-world in parts compared to Adelaide and Perth...that may be harsh but hey have you been down Smith, Brunswick Streets and Sydney Road lately? Great for urban culture and grit, but infrastructure is woeful. Adelaide buses are ok btw, trains could improve. Just my opinion anyway. Melbourne still has enviable atmosphere and bustle on its main streets, something Adelaide and Perth are lacking and at the end of the day you could say that's what really matters.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
aesthetic choices over wiring =/= better or worse infrastructure. I also find the comment about Perth vs Melbourne footpaths odd. the urban design of Melbourne's footpaths, public furniture, paving passive surveillance etc.. is miles above the footpath in Perth's city.

·
Lord Melbourne
4,341 Posts
Well, building owners generally don't care about upkeep of heritage things, that costs money.

As for footpaths, this suburb is wealthy so residents hate public works, it is loud, annoying and takes too long. Plus they'll just drive their suv to the shops anyway.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Burwood Road

IMG_4018

IMG_4021

IMG_4030

IMG_4032

Hawthorn Town Hall

IMG_4033

IMG_4042

IMG_4044

IMG_4047

IMG_4052

IMG_4054 by fabianamuso, on Flickr

IMG_4059

IMG_4061

IMG_4063

IMG_4065

IMG_4066

IMG_4070

IMG_4071

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.