Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught the 3:27pm Central-Kiama service from Central this afternoon to Hurstville, and managed a couple of shots of the new OSCAR trains currently operating on selected South Coast line services.

They aren't too bad but could be alot better. The seating is stiff (not too good for a long trip) and there were problems with the ticker listing stops. Between Redfern and Hurstville it kept saying that the next stop was Hurstville.

The trains are quiet, making for a smooth ride

The loo

At Hurstville (even the driver was happy to pose for the camera:))

Has anyone had a chance to ride the new train. What do you think?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I like pretty much everything about them except for the seats, they're fugly!

But that's of course minor.

As long as they're clean and run on time i'm happy.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Looks good. Thank for the shots Fabs.

Let's hope there are no major probs with this generation.

Yellow and safety, but there is always an overkill. Guess that cannot be helped & lol can't believe the toilets are trashed already - pearls to swine! arghh

·
Registered
511 Posts
Wow! Very nice! And people in Sydney are complaining about their trains?! Enjoy them in good health!
There are not many of these trains.

Thanks for the photos Fabian.

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
A toilet! How far do these trains go? Also are there large delays in loading and unloading of passengers due to all the stairs etc?

They certainly look very nice, smooth as silk.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
^^

You won't have trouble loading and unloading these trains because they only operate in intercity stations. Not that many people load and unload compared to suburban trains in peak hours.

Besides, train leave its doors open for like over 10min before leaving Central.

122 carriages is around 20 trains (given if it's 6 car per train, as usual in intercity service).

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
A toilet! How far do these trains go?
Potentially the area bounded by Kiama, Springwood and Newcastle. So up to 160km or so. But their primary use is Dapto-Springwood-Wyong which is only half that.

Also are there large delays in loading and unloading of passengers due to all the stairs etc?
They have the same configuration as all of Sydney's electric rolling stock. The configuration limits all lines to 3 minute headways.

MILIUX said:
You won't have trouble loading and unloading these trains because they only operate in intercity stations. Not that many people load and unload compared to suburban trains in peak hours.
They do the same routes as G sets which daily includes Hornsby-Chatswood-St Leonards-North Sydney-all to Redfern and Sydenham-Redfern and all to Bondi Junction. G sets also roam the North/Shore/West and Illawarra/Cronulla/ESR in the inter-peak period.

But as I said above, their configuration is no different to normal suburban sets so the dwell time is the same.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
I like the photos fabian, but I dont like the trains.

They look like the poor cousin of the Milleniums and the interior is certainly in no way a match for the comfort and space of the V-set trains some will be replacing. Personally I still like the V-sets better, in looks and in interior comfort. There seems to be no luxury or space in these new cars and there seems to be little attention to distance travel. The big, long sturdy V-sets outshine these new OSCARS IMO but I do think they better the longer run tangaras such as those that run the North shore routes - they are horrible.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Avy, I have to agree with the trains being 'poor cousins of the millenniums', they are just millennium trains modified for interurban travel. Ever since I saw the renders, that has been the impression that I have had in my head.

I don't understand why they no longer have the handrails to rest your arms on and why they aren't in leather seating.

They don't even have proper luggage racks for those who need to carry luggage onto the train.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
If i take the punt, the reason why these trains don't have leather seating is because it is too fat and takes too much room. So instead of 5 seater modificaiton per row, you can only put 4 because leather seats are usually a bit wider. Plus, they are thicker, which means less columns and less reg room if you have fixed number of columns and rows.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
No doubt its also a repair and maintenance issue too. Seat vandalism repairs are more difficult and costly on the interurbans.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts