SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Brisbane based uni friends have all recommended that I pay a visit to Chermside on any trip to Brisbane. One is a local who lives in Chermside West!!! Some of them do trek from suburbs such as Albany Creek.

Though I was on the Gold Coast this time, I felt a little too tempted to make the trip to check it out for myself.

The suburb is just over 10km north of Brisbane's CBD on Gympie Road. It's known for Westfield Chermside which they claim is the first shopping centre in Australia dating back to 1957 and dominates the landscape. It has also been one of the major suburban centres to benefit from highrise development.
Chermside is also home to Prince Charles Hospital.

Enough chit-chat. Phototime.

Gympie Road, looking south.

Hamilton Road

The ugly ATO Building.

The highrise is mostly concentrated in and around Playfair Street. Old Queenslander homes are being pulled down to make way for these monoliths.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Thanks for thee pics Fabian.

There's some more highrise under construction on Rode Road, just beside the hospital. I'm not a huge fan of Chermside (particularly the shopping centre) however, I do like that this area as undergone at least some densification. Will be interesting in the next few years as sites, particularly around the Gympie/Hamilton Roads intersection, get redeveloped

·
Registered
53 Posts
It will be interesting to see where exactly the Northern Busway will be positioned at Chermside and what it will look like. Recently I found a Facebook page protesting that the Busway will not stay on Gympie Rd as first planned but will infact go through Chermside Bowls Club and up to Prince Charles Hospital.

Us Northsiders are eagerly awaiting the next stage of plans of the Kedron to Bracken Ridge Busway to come through so it hopefully it will end alot of 'hear say' thats happening at the moment.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Westfield Chermside

Key Facts (Sourced from Westfield &Ourbrisbane.com)

• 392 shops
  • David Jones
  • Myer
  • Kmart
  • Target
  • Harris Scarfe
  • Borders
  • JB Hifi
  • Event Cinema Complex
  • Chermside Tavern
  • Gilhooleys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts