Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to move away from the recent city photos and focus now on the suburbs of Brisbane.

One such community I was keen to see with my eyes was Rosalie Village and to see how the community has fared eighteen months after it was severely flooded during the Queensland Floods of 2011.

I was pleased to see that everything is back to normal. It shows the resilence of the locals too.

By fabianamuso at 2012-07-27

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Thanks Fabs. I hope you don't mind some additions to the thread.

I took this while the flood was rising...you can see the water level on the Cold Rock store with the twin white pointed awning. Same perspective as your 2nd photo.

2011-01-12 001 002 by fish.2, on Flickr

This is from the same spot, different angle, a few weeks ago. A lot happier scene:

Untitled by fish.2, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Months after the floods they had a thank you day at Rosalie to thank all the people who helped the shops and local residents evacuate. These were held in many of the flood affected suburbs but being only 2km from the city centre Rosalie gets the most attention.

Most of the Rosalie business's made it through the flood but there were a couple of casualties with the best known victim being the well loved Bali Grill.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
The village itself is right in the path of the old Western Creek that drained from the slopes of Bardon and Governors House, through the village and Gregory Park (formerly Red Jacket Swamp) and then through Milton and on into the Brisbane river.

(Source: http://www.oncewasacreek.org/the-creek/catchment/)

The 2011 flood was not caused by rain in Brisbane though, rather from the west of Brisbane in the countryside, so Rosalie only flooded because the Brisbane river back flowed up the creek catchment.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for posting that flood photo. A good comparison with dry photo from last month. From what I am aware that in 1974, the floodwaters were lapping at the awnings, up to a metre higher than last year.

I walked past Gregory Park, and at noon on a Saturday it was quite busy and there were some organised activities going on as well.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Thanks for posting that flood photo. A good comparison with dry photo from last month. From what I am aware that in 1974, the floodwaters were lapping at the awnings, up to a metre higher than last year.

I walked past Gregory Park, and at noon on a Saturday it was quite busy and there were some organised activities going on as well.
I think (?) I took that photo on the 1st day with the flood waters not peaking until that night or the next day so might have got higher than that but yes definitely down on 74....thank god for the dam given this was obviously a way bigger flood then 74.

Gregory Park is great, often buzzing with kids and activities. Another favourite is my new local park, Woolcock Park in Red Hill.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts