SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been fascinated with Southbank, particularly its recent history as it was transformed from an industrial area into a cultural precinct which played host to the 1988 World Expo and 20 years later is home to attractions such as GOMA, State Library of Queensland, QPAC, Museum of Queensland, Brisbane Exhbition and Convention Centre, Parklands, Suncorp Piazza and more!!!

I could only imagine what it was like in 1988, but also what they thought the area would become once the expo had left.

Given there is so much where will I start???

Why not focus on what is left from Expo 88.

Suncorp Piazza

It was an open air venue constructed for the Expo and is presently used for a wide variety of community events. There is seating for approximately 2150 people. There is also a huge screen that hangs off the ceiling that can broadcast major events. Even when not in use, there is always something playing, usually Foxtel programs.

Nepal Peace Padoga

This was part of Nepal's exhbit at Expo and is a traditional three-storey hand-made wooden replica of a famous Pagoda in Kathmandu

I will continue to add to this thread, stay tuned for the next installment

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Southbank Parklands

Spread over 17 hectares. There were proposals to redevelop the site but public lobbying for the area to remain public following Expo was rewarded and by 1992, the parklands were opened.

It is home to Australia's only city beach

·
can the can
1,145 Posts
The theatre brings back childhood memories of seeing shows at Expo.

This area is looking better with the passing years. I recently visited GOMA and was impressed, but the street that runs on the backside (away from the river) is still really gross - ramshackle buildings, graffiti, no shops or services. It should be so much better.

·
Premium Member
9,521 Posts
It is a good area now.

I went to Brisbane State High School in the 80's and I remember what a crappy part of town it was then prior to Expo. I used to walk down to Stanley St to catch the bus, at that time a lot of it was grass, in what had used to be all the South Brisbane wharfs. Grey St was pretty run down.

Warana was a big thing then, it was in September and included a parade with a festival type thing including rides on the grass at Southbank.

Some old pics

1983 (shame it's BW)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi everybody. First post here, long time reader :) Finally I joined up on the forums to correct a little statement by Fabian. I hate to do it because your post and photos are fantastic!

Suncorp Piazza

It was an open air venue constructed for the Expo and is presently used for a wide variety of community events.
Sorry but the Suncorp Piazza wasn't around for Expo88. When Expo finished, the only buildings not demolished were the Plough Inn, Ship Inn and one other historic building. Yes there was a Piazza at Expo (I remember seeing the Marching Band and Circus Oz there) but it wasn't in the possie that the current one is in and it wasn't near as big as the current one. Off the top of my memory, it was about 10 rows in a semi-circle?? We have alot of Expo88 books and TV footage and I always remember when they demolished Expo it was all cleared but the 3 buildings, such a sad sight after a fantastic 1988!

Cheers everyone and keep up the great work!!

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
i cant believe how much southbank has changed. i cant even begin to imagine what it used to be like. my latest memory of it was the early 1990's and the parklands were recently built and the guided boats used to run in what is the arbour now.

hasnt southbank won the worlds most prestigious award for an urban renewal project or world's best urban space for years on end??????

·
Registered
378 Posts
The brisbane city beach sure beats the 'Adelaide Bank City Beach' (its a volleyball court). I think that Adelaide should implement some of Southbank principles in our parklands. While our parklands are nice, they are severely underutilised and really just home to the destitute, especially some parts near south terrace.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
The brisbane city beach sure beats the 'Adelaide Bank City Beach' (its a volleyball court). I think that Adelaide should implement some of Southbank principles in our parklands. While our parklands are nice, they are severely underutilised and really just home to the destitute, especially some parts near south terrace.
Adelaide is blessed with some of the most beautiful beaches in Australia. It doesn't need a city beach.

Also Adelaide has the biggest parkands of anywhere, beautiful yes but very underutilised as you say. Compare that with Brisbane which has practically no parks and you'd understand why Brisbane's parks are the way they are - often full of people and action.

·
Premium Member
9,521 Posts
It's good what we did with what was the area of Expo 88, I went to Seville, Spain in 2003 and the area they had for their expo (Seville 92) seemed to me to be a bit of a forgotten wasteland.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Australia's track record with urban renewal projects focusing on public spaces such as Darling Harbour and Southbank has been impressive - other cities model their success on it. :)

Next installment

State Library of Queensland

The redeveloped State Library of Queensland building was opened in 2006, designed by architects Donovan Hill Peddle Thorp. This replaced the original building from 1988. In 2007 it won the Royal Australian Institute of Architects award for best public building and also took out the RAIA Emil Sodersten Award for Interior Architecture.

My main purpose of the visit the day I took these photos was to attend the Game On Exhbition inside :)

Inside

Queensland Art Gallery/Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA)

By the 1990's the collection held by the Queensland Art Gallery had grown. Exhbitions were increasing and audiences had changed. It was decided that a second building had to be built. The building was completed in 2006 after two years construction. the building is designed by Architectus.

Artworks from the 20th and 21st centuries are displayed inside the building and located just 150 metres from the main art gallery building.

Construction in Feburary 2006

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Skyneedle

One of the major icons of Expo rising to a height of 88 metres to symbolise the year 1988and believed to have cost $1 5 million to build including 160 tonnes of steel and 23 carat gold leaf adorns the top. It is the tallest sculpture in Australia. Following Expo, the skyneedle was expected to be moved to Tokyo Disneyland by Brisbane hairdresser Stefan Ackerie puchased the sculpture after a late night call.

Skyneedle was moved from it's original location to his headquarters in Manning St, South Brisbane and is currently heritage listed. It was affected by fire in 2006, but has been restored and upgraded with the works completed back in May.

The skyneedle is famous for its beam of light that can be seen from 60 kilometres, but is rarely used due to safety concerns for planes approaching Brisbane airport.

Video

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Grey Street & Little Stanley Street

South Brisbane Railway Station

The station dates to 1884 which acted as a terminus for southern line services and the standard guage railway between Sydney and Brisbane. The construction of Merivale Bridge in 1978 meant services could be extended over the Brisbane River to Roma St Railway station. The original site of the station was closer to the Brisbane river and the current station dates to 1891.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Great photos Fabian.

One of these days I'm gonna buy a camera and take up photography again. Lost my last camera in 2006.
j

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In 2012, my focus was on the evolving skyline and highrise development. Obviously there have been a number of schemes that were devised relating to residential and commercial development of the precinct.

I do feel that there is a good balance with highrise development.

A little overview of some of the developments that have risen over the years.

By fabianamuso at 2012-09-07

Plenty of apartments available to reside in with everything Southbank has to offer right at your doorstep.

And by the way great places to eat.

Southbank is home to a campus of Griffith University. With QUT directly on the opposite shore of the Brisbane River, students have accomodation options if they wish to live close to campus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i cant even begin to imagine what it used to be like. my latest memory of it was the early 1990's and the parklands were recently built and the guided boats used to run in what is the arbour now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts