Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toowong is located just 5km south west of Brisbane on the northern shores of the Brisbane River.

Its proximity to the city makes it popular for firms to base their offices in the suburb. The suburb is dominated by Toowong Village, built above the railway station with retail and a office tower.

In addition, Toowong is where you will find the Brisbane Cemetery, Mt Coot-tha Botanical Gardens & Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium.

By fabianamuso at 2012-08-11

By fabianamuso at 2012-07-25

Former ABC Studios

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
Nice photos.

There was a plan years ago for the Woolworths store to get demolished and a mid size tower to replace it. Not sure what happened to that, it would have been good. That woolies is looking a bit tired and drags the rest of the suburb down.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
One of the advantages of Toowong is that as well as strong bus and train connections it also has a Citycat ferry stop and is on the main bicentennial bikeway.

One you come off the Citycat you cross the bikeway:

Untitled by fish.2, on Flickr

One of the first things you see is the beautiful Regatta pub:

It has been totally refurbished after the floods:

You can see it's long love/hate relationship with the Brisbane river here:

Brisbane had the most water fall in its western rural catchment's since 1893. You can see the 1893 flood mark in the above photo but luckily the water stopped below the 1974 flood level due to the wivenhoe dam.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Great pictures. I've been living in Toowong for the past 18 months, and I gotta say it's a great place to live. I may be paying more than elsewhere in Brisbane, but the convenience to shops and transport make up for it, and means that I don't have to fork money out for a car. As fish.01 described, there are many transport options in and out of Toowong.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
^^
Just got the fright of my life. I thought for a second that the cranes and tower was the University of Queensland in the background. I'm thinking 'what the hell are they building out there'. Turns out its just Woolloongabba :lol:

·
Registered
17,674 Posts
^^ I haven't been there for years and years (as in I was too young to appreciate it last time). I must get up there again, especially as there is a decent bus service running up there in the 471 (and 599 GCL on Saturdays).

^^
Just got the fright of my life. I thought for a second that the cranes and tower was the University of Queensland in the background. I'm thinking 'what the hell are they building out there'. Turns out its just Woolloongabba :lol:
:lol: That crane city I imagine would be the new Children's Hospital at the Mater.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
^^ I haven't been there for years and years (as in I was too young to appreciate it last time). I must get up there again, especially as there is a decent bus service running up there in the 471 (and 599 GCL on Saturdays).

:lol: That crane city I imagine would be the new Children's Hospital at the Mater.
Correct. Most of those cranes are for the hospital.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts